Am I really a handsome man?

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

velly velly hansum....lorrrrr....jing jing teelak.....now we go to central and you can buy me Iphone?...

I lub you too mutt dahling  joop joop

senn-tunn!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hankypankee said:

Thai women often tell me I’m a handsome man. Do you think they really mean it?

They’re just being nice. But if curiosity strikes you then just start asking the chicks if they’re alone and go from there.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

หล่อ doesn't have a "r" in it.

Well without the R, no one would say it correctly, and seeing as the vowel is ‘Sara or’ then phonetically it’s correct. 

This topic sounds a bit 'click bait', but regardless, 'handsome man' topic has been talked about for decades.  

In this country,, in this environment, it's overwhelmingly a pretence , a false compliment to lure in the gullible and those seeking validation from women. 

Let's face it, most guys don't get complimented much, if at all, in their home country.  To hear it uttered to you, initially is surprising and for some an instant ego boost.  It's pure fantasy of course.  Probably many guys don't want to know the truth, but just go along with it and those 'feel good' endorphins that these women know how to produce in you.  A compliment, eye gazing, the woman's touch and attention, etc.  

Sure, there are 'Chads' who are truly handsome dudes.  Of course.  And girls, who are used to making "handsome" comments, will say the same to them. 

This is where you meet the delusional men.  Those with high self esteem, who actually think they are Chad's, but are far from being attractive.  Same goes with vain women who rate themselves much higher than they are thanks to SIMP attention and online validation. 

For the 'two week millionaires, no harm done.  An ego boost and after they've departed with tons of money to people who couldn't care less about them, you hope they cut all ties and just have fun memories. 

Unfortunately, there are many who get sucked in, believing the lies. They see the pleas for money, being those of a poor woman who has met their 'white knight' and it is up to the unsuspecting guy to be their financial support and 'save' them.   

End of the day, old dudes are not handsome men to young fertile women.  Don't be delusional. Enjoy yourself but don't get sucked in.  It's all business.  It won't stop many guys though..... "but this one's different...".

• Sad 1

A couple of important points to note:

1 - Culture & threshold for compliments
Thai culture compared to Western culture means that people are much more willing / likely to give a compliment to strangers.  So back in the west, unless it's some cat calling US construction worker, it's very unlikely anyone would give a compliment to a stranger, but in Thailand it seems the norm, especially with Farang.  My son, who is 9 and half Thai, has had random strangers tell him that he's handsome etc in 7/11 or at the traffic lights since he was about 4 or 5.  With compliments being more the norm, it means that there's a lower standard required to illicit a comment compared to in the west (e.g. They'll compliment anyone who's decent looking, not just models).

2 - Different standards of Beauty
Within Thailand having a bridge on your nose and white / pale skin are considered very desirable features.  Comparatively no one really cares about either that much in the west because the majority of Caucasians have the same look.  So assuming you're Caucasian, you're already ahead of the curve and will be seen as handsome provided you're not overweight (If overweight, they'll call you cute instead lol) or wearing a nasty scowl across your face, then you'll probably be called handsome as a compliment, doesn't mean they're interested in jumping you though.

Edited by SlyAnimal
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, hankypankee said:

Thai women often tell me I’m a handsome man. Do you think they really mean it?

I see you are new here, welcome. 

Ask these woman for a bit of hankypankee, Mr hankypankee, it should be an indicator to your question. 

Be prepared for them asking for compensation, say a thousand baht or two, or it may go the other way, you could get a slap in the face. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

It gets lost n translation. You handsome man is almost impossible to translate into Thai.

However after some in depth research the nearest we could get  to it was "You Old Fuddy Duddy"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hankypankee said:

So much of a difference of opinions on how I should view things. I am even more confused now. 

Try asking your question on the Dear Abby coloum. 

This forum is not the place for answers. 

1 hour ago, stoner said:

i am handsome though so its different for me. plus i'm young. 

And clearly not at all big-headed  :whistling: