American tourist and Thai girlfriend drown in Phuket

snoop1130

c1_2812484_790.jpg

An American tourist and his Thai girlfriend drowned after allegedly ignoring a red flag weather warning at Mai Khao Beach in Phuket.

The bodies of 45 year old James Edmond Newman from New York, and 48 year old Waranya Chanphai from Surin province, were discovered on Monday morning, June 17.

Police Major Ronnapoom Permpoon of the Thachatchai Police Station stated that the police received a report at 7.07am. Upon arrival, they found Newman’s body washed ashore, clad only in black shorts and bearing bruises likely caused by the violent impact of the waves.

Waranya was found floating a few feet offshore. Both bodies were sent to Thalang Hospital for post-mortem examinations to determine the exact causes of death.

The couple had checked into a nearby hotel on June 16 and ventured to swim at the beach the following morning.

“It is believed that one of them was swept away by a wave, and when the other attempted to help, they too were struck and drowned. However, we are still investigating the exact cause of death.”

Winai Sae-aew, the village council leader, reported that hotel staff alerted him to the foreigner’s drowning.

“I immediately went to the scene and called the rescue team and police. Residents also helped retrieve both bodies. They may have been guests of Mai Khao Palm Beach Resort and were swimming in the morning when there was no lifeguard present, despite the red flag warning.”

This incident marks the second drowning of a US citizen in Thailand within two weeks. Just the day before, James Everett du Bois, a 49 year old US Army veteran, was swept out to sea while trying to save his wife and toddler son at Nai Harn Beach in Phuket. While his wife managed to return to shore and their son was rescued by lifeguards, du Bois was tragically lost to the powerful current.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Bangkok post

Source: The Thaiger 2024-06-20

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 9

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

An American tourist and his Thai girlfriend drowned after allegedly ignoring a red flag weather warning at Mai Khao Beach in Phuket.

:coffee1:

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

James Everett du Bois, a 49 year old US Army veteran, was swept out to sea while trying to save his wife and toddler son at Nai Harn Beach in Phuket. While his wife managed to return to shore and their son was rescued by lifeguards, du Bois

As far as I know that's not what happened, he was out playing in the water with his son, the lifeguard could only grab the son first then went back to try and rescue the father but it was too late he had been swept away, 

A couple of days later there was another incident, the lifeguard left his belongings on the beach and ran into the sea to pull someone out, he saved them, but some arse hole nicked his bag with his bike keys in it and drove off on his bike, brand new bike with the red plate, I hope they caught the <deleted>, 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, cncltd1973 said:

a sign demonstrating how to swim with ripcurrents would saves. post it on the flag pole, Thailand 

They take no notice of the red flags, 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Police Major Ronnapoom Permpoon of the Thachatchai Police Station stated that the police received a report at 7.07am. Upon arrival, they found Newman’s body washed ashore, clad only in black shorts and bearing bruises likely caused by the violent impact of the waves.

Waranya was found floating a few feet offshore. Both bodies were sent to Thalang Hospital for post-mortem examinations to determine the exact causes of death.

Call me skeptical, but I'd wait for the autopsy to come in before declaring it an accident or a red flag violation.  And by that, I mean the autopsy they should perform on his repatriated remains.  Not the local one.  (And if anyone from his family is reading in, that's a suggestion)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Darwin takes no prisoners!  No sympathy for stupidity.  Those flags are there for a reason.  We have been warned hundreds of times to stay out.  Some arrogant humans just do not belong on this planet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Brn2Trvl said:

Obviously not best to enter when the red flags are posted but.. people freak out and fight against the current trying to swim back to shore when the solution is to swim cross current, parallel with the shore until the riptide is not pulling out to Sea THEN swim to shore. If someone knows this technique, they will do it when needed. A simple graphic sign showing this technique could save lives.

If someone would just listen to the locals and stay the EFF out of the water, then no need for drastic actions when Nature takes over.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

If someone would just listen to the locals and stay the EFF out of the water, then no need for drastic actions when Nature takes over.

Enough locals drown where I live, not just farangs

It takes a very powerful and knowledgeable swimmer to deal with the riptides and strong currents. Most are not. And it also takes a very high level of ignorance to venture away from the shore when the weather is stormy, and the seas are rough. Life is a gamble and Darwin was right.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brn2Trvl said:

Obviously not best to enter when the red flags are posted but.. people freak out and fight against the current trying to swim back to shore when the solution is to swim cross current, parallel with the shore until the riptide is not pulling out to Sea THEN swim to shore. If someone knows this technique, they will do it when needed. A simple graphic sign showing this technique could save lives.

If someone ignores the Red flags, do you think that they will observe any Graphic Signs posted there.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Brn2Trvl said:

A simple graphic sign showing this technique could save lives.

You think that the idiots who ignore the red flags aren't likely to ignore that sort of sign also?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Call me skeptical, but I'd wait for the autopsy to come in before declaring it an accident or a red flag violation.  And by that, I mean the autopsy they should perform on his repatriated remains.  Not the local one.  (And if anyone from his family is reading in, that's a suggestion)

It was a Red Flag violation which led to his accidental death. What more can an autopsy find?

Can Mr Confused please explain his reaction.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1

I suppose people who do not swim frequently do not register a red flag and instead signs in multiple languages makes the penny drop for people about to go in the water if spaced near enough to see..or danger icons....

I'd not even think to look for a red flag and would assess wind/waves from the shore if going in at all...

Edited by freedomnow

19 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

At least in the US Navy they are taught swimming along with better decision making 

I'm surprised that there would be anyone stupid enough to enlist who needed to be taught how to swim.

19 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It was a Red Flag violation which led to his accidental death. What more can an autopsy find?

It could determine whether he, perhaps, had a heart attack whilst struggling against the tide or had any other condition that may have contributed to, or caused, his death or whether they simply drowned.  A "red flag violation" is not a cause of death.

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It could determine whether he, perhaps, had a heart attack whilst struggling against the tide or had any other condition that may have contributed to, or caused, his death or whether they simply drowned.  A "red flag violation" is not a cause of death.

I said that 'it led' to his death, drowning, heart attack or whatever, possibly absolute stupidity. He's dead now.

Edited by KannikaP

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Can Mr Confused please explain his reaction.

For one, it would be interesting to know what caused his bruises.

Even the locals are wondering.  From the OP:

Both bodies were sent to Thalang Hospital for post-mortem examinations to determine the exact causes of death.

“It is believed that one of them was swept away by a wave, and when the other attempted to help, they too were struck and drowned. However, we are still investigating the exact cause of death.”

Edit:  Or did I miss the CCTV video showing them getting into the water?

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, impulse said:

For one, it would be interesting to know what caused his bruises.

Even the locals are wondering.  From the OP:

Both bodies were sent to Thalang Hospital for post-mortem examinations to determine the exact causes of death.

Edit:  Or did I miss the CCTV video showing them getting into the water?

Which won't add anything. The guy is dead, leave him be.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Cause of death........stupidity.

So, zero chance he was murdered and tossed in the water? (not to put too fine a point on it)

If he was my brother, I'd want to know.  Before complete strangers call him stupid.  As if they know.

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

So, zero chance he was murdered and tossed in the water? (not to put too fine a point on it)

If he was my brother, I'd want to know.  Before complete strangers call him stupid.  As if they know.

But he wasn't your brother. He went into the water ignoring the Red Flags, as did his 'girl' friend. If if if!