Thai-ed up: British man’s terrifying prison ordeal in Thailand

snoop1130

Seems like his problem was that he overstayed his visa and his friends or family took a long time to wire money out to him to bring him home.  He was lucky he wasn't charged with working illegally or any drug offences.  The latter would have meant a much longer spell in a regular prison.

The IDC is notorious.  Some people stay there for years and die there. Innocent children are incarcerated along with their mothers without access to proper nutrition, medicine or schooling.  The Thais regard these foreigners as subhumans and no one doesn't anything about their plight because they are not Thai and therefore will attract interest from political activists.  It is truly a disgrace and shows up Thai racism. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Pre-COVID numbers, but at that time Brits were the falang nationality that made the most visits to Thailand per annum.

Also, if you read about 40 Brits being arrested over the course of a year, there were another 728,632 who either hadn't done anything wrong, or hadn't been caught😁 It's a number thing, maybe not that they're more prone to criminality, just that there's lots more of 'em!?

The big number are Brits who live here (my research days around 50.000) or British visitors ???? 

You let me confused 😳

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“I was young, living in Thailand and working illegally as a teacher.”

After his tourist visa expired, Morton fell into a dangerous crowd, leading him into the drug and alcohol scene.

“I got into the wrong crowd of people. I ended up being taken in by undercover police. I was standing on the street corner, and suddenly eight people surrounded me and took me to prison.”

If you just follow the local laws, you most likely won't end up in a Thai prison; simple as that...:whistling:

• Agree 2

On 7/3/2024 at 8:11 PM, snoop1130 said:

I ended up being taken in by undercover police. I was standing on the street corner, and suddenly eight people surrounded me and took me to prison.”

What, no demand for money or go to prison, which is the norm, do I have been told by people who have paid to stay out and move on.

For what reason he was under arrest?

Overstay withought visa or drug use?

Have it been informed by the way to British Embassy in Bangkok that their civilian has been arrested?

I dont know what is the task of Western Embassies -Consultans in Bangkok. To watch the price of rise and noodles?

He was illegal for something but he didnt hurt or cause any damage to anyone else.

• Confused 1

On 7/3/2024 at 2:55 PM, dddave said:

A number of years ago, a young man with some sort of immigration problem was posting directly from IDC to this forum, seeking information and advice. Surprisingly, he had been allowed to keep his phone.  He reported at the time how dreadful the conditions were there and also reported there were some 3rd world internees who had been in IDC for years,having no means to pay for their deportation expenses.  He was able to get out, I believe with the help of a forum member who was familiar with the legal process.

I  remember that .

On 7/4/2024 at 7:50 AM, Drumbuie said:

I'm guessing you have first hand experience .....but not recent.

These days in the UK, prisons are overcrowded, staff numbers are low and prisoners may be locked in 24 hrs a day. 

https://news.sky.com/story/emergency-measure-triggered-to-deal-with-prison-overcrowding-in-england-13136155

if the time in prison was more of a punishment ie, some army boot camp style thing, some hard work thrown in, then i would expect those petty crims would think twice about mugging someone or burgling a house . most were kids that never worked a day in their lives. at a guess i'd say there were way more of those B,C prisoners than cat A type (long term serious crime)

On 7/3/2024 at 7:49 PM, Nick Carter icp said:

“I was young, living in Thailand and working illegally as a teacher.”

Thirty years old hardly young  and inexperienced, a great role model for the pupils. 

The fine is about five or six hundred pounds hardly a fortune. 

Don't break the law it's not hard. 

On 7/4/2024 at 8:30 AM, newbee2022 said:

The big number are Brits who live here (my research days around 50.000) or British visitors ???? 

You let me confused 😳

Country
2022* Visitors 2019 Visitors
United Kingdom 204,231 946,774
Germany 157,295 836,926
France 131,625 713,405
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2024 at 7:45 PM, redwood1 said:

Why post the story without even saying what he did wrong?.....Dumb post....

Could have to do with what others said rather then an outright crime. 'Entangled' means he was associating with the wrong people and got mixed up in things. That could mean being around people who were doing illegal things, being in the same places as them, being associated with them, being in a car that was pulled over where illegal stuff was found, etc...

On 7/3/2024 at 7:24 PM, oxo1947 said:

yes...20,000 forgot about that small detail sheryl---and if you mean the staff at the UK embassy --always a lot of paper shuffling..

Isn't there also a daily fee assessed for sustenance?  I forget the amount but somewhere in the neighborhood of B200?

On 7/4/2024 at 7:36 AM, ravip said:

And embassies/Foreign Affairs depts, should do their job, issue warnings to their nationals NOT to be criminals in foreign countries (stick to their home country, if they insist on been a criminal).

If you bother to look, on something called the internet, you will see that all embassies post detailed travel advisories for every country,  including Thailand. So they are doing their jobs!!  

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, claffey said:

If you bother to look, on something called the internet, you will see that all embassies post detailed travel advisories for every country,  including Thailand. So they are doing their jobs!!  

Oooops, sorry. My bad.

Embassies are doing  perfect job, says that thing called the internet (I just found out)!