BBL bank photo copies of Visa page.

I recently went into Bangkok Bank to withdraw funds from a fixed account. instead of just taking a photocopy of the front picture of my passport they also were taking  copies of my Visa page. It's the first time I've had this happen they've never done it in any of the other banks and Bangkok Bank has never done an up now or is it just a Bangkok thing or a certain branches that takes photocopies of your visa. I withdraw a few months ago using my ID card.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Caldera said:

There has been a policy change that has been discussed here. No valid permission to stay, no access to banking services

That's interesting hadn't heard of that.

Bit unrelated ...recent trip to CW for stamp transfer to new pp immigration demanded copy of my bank book pages showing compliance to financial requirements.

Never previously required. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, arick said:

I recently went into Bangkok Bank to withdraw funds from a fixed account. instead of just taking a photocopy of the front picture of my passport they also were taking  copies of my Visa page. It's the first time I've had this happen they've never done it in any of the other banks and Bangkok Bank has never done an up now or is it just a Bangkok thing or a certain branches that takes photocopies of your visa. I withdraw a few months ago using my ID card.

They are supposed to check for current visa, as are e.g. hospitals. It was mandated during Prayuth govt to hinder people on overstay being able to function in Thailand. I have had one occasion when transacting at a bank where they didn't photocopy visa page, but that was probably an oversight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arick said:

It's the first time I've had this happen they've never done it in any of the other banks and Bangkok Bank has never done an up now or is it just a Bangkok thing or a certain branches that takes photocopies of your visa.

The banks, including BBL, have been doing it for years, it is nothing new, although you may not have been aware of the procedure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

It was mandated during Prayuth govt to hinder people on overstay being able to function in Thailand.

BBL had the policy long before you say Prayuth mandated it.  I was a victim of the policy way before the coup when I inadvertently overstayed a couple of days and was denied a withdrawal from my BBL account until I was valid again.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

BBL had the policy long before you say Prayuth mandated it.  I was a victim of the policy way before the coup when I inadvertently overstayed a couple of days and was denied a withdrawal from my BBL account until I was valid again.

Quite possibly BBL did as their mentality is very Khong Raan Chin, but having your visa page checked for everything seems to be a Prayuth era thing. Nobody ever used to, other than some hotels (for those of us who can't "just show our Pink Cards").

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Is it possible to use the infamous pink ID card rather than a passport at Thai banks?

If they can "just show their Pink card", I am sure there will be a deluge of Pink Card holders coming in to clarify and of course at the same time give away that they have a Pink Card and are thus recognised as residents here or whatever it is they get so superior about. Of course it is still a step down from having your wife make any problem go away by just flashing her Government Employee ID.

Edited by mokwit
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That's interesting hadn't heard of that.

Bit unrelated ...recent trip to CW for stamp transfer to new pp immigration demanded copy of my bank book pages showing compliance to financial requirements.

new policy for any transaction at L desk. At extension time I saw the IO go back through bank book to check that I had the required balance when I transferred to new pp a few months previously (even though I would have as it was within last year, but she marked it on photocopy).

Policy was not announced and a gentleman in his 70's who had checked the Imm web page for requirements before coming had to go home and come back another time.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

They asked for that when I went there to transfer stamps more than four years ago, so it isn't new - but they still haven't bothered to post the requirement online. 

I was quite confused when it happened, and said "I'm here to transfer stamps, not for an extension". They said yes, yes, we need to check if your balance is still in order. I told them I had used an Embassy letter rather than a bank deposit for my last extension - which happened to be true! - and they just said "oh, ok then" and waved me on.

You show your ID to withdraw from a normal account they only take a sign photocopy of your passport when it is a fixed account you do not have to have a sign photograph when you're withdrawing from a normal account which I barely ever do anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Not sure why a bank copying your Visa/permission to stay stamp is such a concern for anyone? What's the big deal?

Because it's never happened to me before in 14 years and my question is if you weren't living here anymore and you just came are they not going to give you your money out of the account that's why I'm asking just very authoritarianism I've never had that done to me at Kung Thai Bank or any other bank it's only happened to me for the first time in Bangkok Bank and Bangkok. One time 

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2024 at 6:25 AM, mstevens said:

7 hours ago, arick said:

It is fairly common. Every person handling your passport think they are working for immigration. I've had many arguments with bank staff about this. My I.D. part of my passport is the only thing that concerns them. My visa is non of their business!!!

Edited by Dr. Zorg
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, arick said:

bonus for when they report your visa expired ?

maybe keep all your money after you are deported and blacklisted...

TIT after all

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, arick said:

I am in Rayong with bangkok Bank, they have been taking copies of both for three months now

3 hours ago, arick said:

Because it's never happened to me before in 14 years and my question is if you weren't living here anymore and you just came are they not going to give you your money out of the account that's why I'm asking just very authoritarianism I've never had that done to me at Kung Thai Bank or any other bank it's only happened to me for the first time in Bangkok Bank and Bangkok. One time 

3 hours ago, Dr. Zorg said:

It is fairly common. Every person handling your passport think they are working for immigration. I've had many arguments with bank staff about this. My I.D. part of my passport is the only thing that concerns them. My visa is non of their business!!!

Well they're sure in the hell not working for the DSI!