British yoga teacher stranded in Bangkok airport over passport tear

webfact

I was almost refused boarding on a plane from Heathrow  because the lettering on the outer cover of my passport had been rubbed off  due to me keeping it in my pocket whist travelling around Thailand

( a few times back and forth before the lettering wore off)..I don't do that now  just keep a copy of my passport  photo page in my wallet/pocket instead.

Oops- not sure how my edit on previous page ended up as a new post.

That is too bad but wonder how damaged the passport really was and seriously have my doubts it was refused because of the rip.  My bet is that was part of a list of reasons. 

The passport does seem warped and the faded areas are uneven as if it was dipped in liquid.  Not to hide private information from us and other non-immigration viewers but the page actually damaged and unreadable.  Much more to the story...

In any case if the rip was the reason, that seems extreme but not ridiculous.  Fun to be young and dumb. She'll survive.

Edited by atpeace
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I actually don´t get this. She had a ticket home to London, with multiple stops in India and Turkey. But isn´t this just stops and change of planes as usual? In that case she will not enter, nor have any need to enter the countries as she will remain at the airport. Am I missing something, or has it changed. To me the excuse that she can´t board because she will be refused entry in India is just garabge as she will never enter the country.

It doesn't say anywhere that she was going to fly on immediately. Not all airlines have agreements to check the bags through. She wld have to get the bag & re-check in i.e. pass immigration. How on earth do you rip a p.port page. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

During her stay, she engaged in voluntary work

Did she have the correct work permit and visa, of course not. Just another begpacking loser.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

atpeace

For passport holders only Police Officers have the right to check your p.e.r.s.o.n.a.l data and if your Passport  is valid or not.

Aircrew staff is responsible to show you the right seat on the plane.

You can not refuse entrance to someone based on security reasons. Only Police Officers at the airport have this right even for immediately arrest.

Aircarriers are p.r.i.v.a.t.e companies and they check out your ticket name etc based on your Passport and if your Passport is valid or not or tear they should immediately call Police Airport Officers who have the legal right to forbit you board on the plane.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wonder if it was ripped on arrival?

I've heard of several reasons for not allowing someone to board, but a small rip, seriously? IMO there is something missing from this story.

Perhaps the main takeaway from this is if you are skint, don't go on holidays to foreign countries.

I had a slight tear on page 18 of my passport, emanating from a staple hole, during our last visit to Thailand / Vietnam, 18 months ago.

I was denied boarding by Viet jet from Da Nang back to Bangkok (Suvarnabumi). Opal and I were devastated. I ensured she made the flight back and had her checked in with our luggage.

I initially went into a "dark space" and couldn't rationally function.

I was subsequently able to buy a ticket with Air Asia to Bangkok (Don Meuang) who accepted the flaw. Likewise EVA accepted the similar flaw for us to return back to New Zealand, two days later.

The irony is, although having comprehensive "Travel Insurance" does not cover this type of scenario of being denied boarding:

Damaged and Replacement? Yes.

Lost/Stolen? Yes.

The lady IO at Don Meuang Immigration was in a fit of laughter when she stamped me, Fortunately I was then able to avail the the Airport Transfer bus to Survanabhumi and used the Hotel Shuttle bus to be with Opal, 8 hours behind schedule and completely stressed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is clearly stated that the family has helped. And the family has set up the fund me page -- a common means to easily coordinate contributions from friends and relatives. Maybe the odd stranger also donates, maybe not ,but it is by far the best way to arrange/coordinate contributions from full circle of extended relations, friends, acquaintances etc.

For some reason the mention of these pages drives some AN board members nuts.

Why does the family not get the relatives to deposit in a Wise, Revolut, or for that matter ANY bank account, instead of going global.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Why does the family not get the relatives to deposit in a Wise, Revolut, or for that matter ANY bank account, instead of going global.

It is simpler -- and much safer -- to go this route than to distribute bank account information widely to all friends, acquaintances, friends of friends etc.

It is the usual way of doing this, nowadays.

Why on earth does it bother you so much?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

It is simpler -- and much safer -- to go this route than to distribute bank account information widely to all friends, acquaintances, friends of friends etc.

It is the usual way of doing this, nowadays.

Why on earth does it bother you so much?

It doesn't bother me at all Sheryl. Just being logical.

• Confused 1

Just now, roo860 said:

'I'm on salary, my company organises my fights'.

Crikey Skippy I don't realise you were a prize fight as well, fair play!👊👊😉

Sorry mate, my phones crazy keyboard, predictive texting, at times it handy, other times it's not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Paris333 said:

atpeace

For passport holders only Police Officers have the right to check your p.e.r.s.o.n.a.l data and if your Passport  is valid or not.

Aircrew staff is responsible to show you the right seat on the plane.

You can not refuse entrance to someone based on security reasons. Only Police Officers at the airport have this right even for immediately arrest.

Aircarriers are p.r.i.v.a.t.e companies and they check out your ticket name etc based on your Passport and if your Passport is valid or not or tear they should immediately call Police Airport Officers who have the legal right to forbit you board on the plane.

Good luck trying to insist on it.

58 minutes ago, Letseng said:

It doesn't say anywhere that she was going to fly on immediately. Not all airlines have agreements to check the bags through. She wld have to get the bag & re-check in i.e. pass immigration. How on earth do you rip a p.port page. 

And it does not say the opposite either.

You don´t rip a passport page, it was a little bit broke in one corner. That´s something that can happen to us all.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, zyphodb said:

the last time I was in transit in Mumbai, they had 3 passport checks, paranoid or what???

Maybe there are heaps of British and other European countrymen/women trying to "sneak" into India? 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

And it does not say the opposite either.

You don´t rip a passport page, it was a little bit broke in one corner. That´s something that can happen to us all.

Although most of us make an effort to ensure that our passports are not damaged and if they do get damaged, we get them replaced and its well known that damaged passports often get refused 

1 hour ago, johng said:

I was almost refused boarding on a plane from Heathrow  because the lettering on the outer cover of my passport had been rubbed off  due to me keeping it in my pocket whist travelling around Thailand

( a few times back and forth before the lettering wore off)..I don't do that now  just keep a copy of my passport  photo page in my wallet/pocket instead.

One of my UK passports (the red one) is the same and is full of stamps. When I arrived back in BKK the other day, the IO, a pretty young Thai trainee, said my passport was beautiful. She was quite smitten, as was I. 🥰

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

One of my UK passports (the red one) is the same and is full of stamps. When I arrived back in BKK the other day, the IO, a pretty young Thai trainee, said my passport was beautiful. She was quite smitten, as was I. 🥰

This thread isn't about you though, all your posts in this thread are about you .

This thread isnt called * Mr Meeseeks travels abroad*

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Where does it stand she knew that?

Here :

"There's been no issues with travelling until now. I had a tear already on my passport when I came here, I'm not sure if it's got any bigger, it's not that bad.

"It's like a centimetre on the main page where my picture is. I went to America and Jamaica with it and it was fine.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/24441910.british-passport-warning-woman-barred-flight-home/?ref=rss

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

I disagree.

I have 2 Australian passports (1 concurrent).

I travel internationally once a month, my passports get sent away to different countries for visas etc so I can enter the next country legally.

At times I've filled 64 page passports before they expire. 

I have never, ever had a damaged or a little bit broke or torn or marked passport.

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

This thread isn't about you though, all your posts in this thread are about you .

This thread isnt called * Mr Meeseeks travels abroad*

Tell me you got to Thailand too old to properly enjoy yourself, without telling me you got to Thailand too late to properly enjoy yourself.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I disagree.

I have 2 Australian passports (1 concurrent).

I travel internationally once a month, my passports get sent away to different countries for visas etc so I can enter the next country legally.

At times I've filled 64 page passports before they expire. 

I have never, ever had a damaged or a little bit broke or torn or marked passport.

Congratulations. Did you get a medal? 🥇

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Congratulations. Did you get a medal? 🥇

Another juvenile comment. 

Strange that needlessly, members are attacking other members here.

This thread has brought out the rude, nasty, hostile people hasn't it. 

Why are you attacking me?

I have not even interacted with you. 

This is not the school playground. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Tell me you got to Thailand too old to properly enjoy yourself, without telling me you got to Thailand too late to properly enjoy yourself.

I first went to Thailand when I was 19 years old