Why are bus transportation so bad in the South of Thailand?

It seems that down south around Phuket, Krabi, Surat there are mainly minivans run by private companies if you want to get from one location to another.

Why are there no buses? You would expect alot of tourists visit these places hence there will be a normal bus stations like how it runs back in our home country? I went to the Krabi bus station and tried to purchase a ticket to Koh Samui where he gave me a price of 200 baht more at first (950 baht). I asked for a normal bus.

A bus took me to Surat then I had to get onto a minivan then another bus through a tour company. 

Do normal Thais go through the same nightmare? 

Some glimmer of hope on the horizon, maybe....

"Atthawit noted that AOT has recommended starting with a scheduled service from Phuket airport to Khao Lak in Phang Nga province to gauge the effectiveness of these connections. "

15 hours ago, organicman said:

It seems that down south around Phuket, Krabi, Surat there are mainly minivans run by private companies if you want to get from one location to another.

Why are there no buses? You would expect alot of tourists visit these places hence there will be a normal bus stations like how it runs back in our home country? I went to the Krabi bus station and tried to purchase a ticket to Koh Samui where he gave me a price of 200 baht more at first (950 baht). I asked for a normal bus.

A bus took me to Surat then I had to get onto a minivan then another bus through a tour company. 

We use Phantip Travel. They have big buses to most major destinations.

19 hours ago, organicman said:

The 100 Bhat bus runs from the airport all the way to Rawai with stops along the way. Then you can get a tuk tuk to your hotel, etc if it’s not close to the stop. Works for me!

3 hours ago, Dawesy said:

I wouldn't get on a bus in Thailand , I value my life more than that .

Yes,much safer in a minivan.Their expert drivers can smoke,talk on the phone,stick their head out the window to berate slower drivers and drive the van at the same time.Remarkable.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, organicman said:

A lot of the intern city buses were/are run by privet companies, you can tell privet buses from government ones by the badge on the side of the bus.

The problem was Covid, no buses running then the privet buses just stopped, not enough government buses to fill the gap.

The route I use, Bangkok -Lomsark ,they use to be one an hour, mainly Por 2, second class buses, they have now all gone, with just 3 double decker buses, government ones running a day.

And now Minin buses have filled the gap cannot see a change back to the old system.

I was at Morchit bus terminal last week in Bangkok, mid-morning, hardly any buses they, it seems a nationwide thing, still a good few running at nighttime still. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Dawesy said:

I wouldn't get on a bus in Thailand , I value my life more than that .

How do you travel then? As any mode of transport is a risk here because the roads are so dangerous.  So, if you drive yourself that is not really much safer.  no matter how good a driver you may be.  Unless you fly everywhere but that's not always an option if you're not going so far. 

Edited by paulikens
  • Agree 1

Just now, kickstart said:

A lot of the intern city buses were/are run by privet companies, you can tell privet buses from government ones by the badge on the side of the bus.

The problem was Covid, no buses running then the privet buses just stopped, not enough government buses to fill the gap.

The route I use, Bangkok -Lomsark ,they use to be one an hour, mainly Por 2, second class buses, they have now all gone, with just 3 double decker buses, government ones running a day.

And now Minin buses have filled the gap cannot see a change back to the old system.

I was at Morchit bus terminal last week in Bangkok, mid-morning, hardly any buses they, it seems a nationwide thing, still a good few running at nighttime still. 

Yes it seems ever since COVID  they never got back to the timetables pre that.  they got even lazier than they were previous to COVID which I didn't think was possible😉

• Haha 1