For those of you who have lived here for years?

3 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

wrong, Have lived here for many years, can get around easily and I live in a small city in the south. 

Pay attention. That's what I said.😉

2 hours ago, HuaHinNew said:

IMHO, the biggest challenge is, you have to conditionally accept the Thai culture and their ways in every aspect of life here.

From the Tuk Tuk driver to the business, financial and government institutions.

Be prepared for the mountains of useless bureaucratic paperwork you will experience.

Immigration engagements will test your patience and fortitude, take he hit and engage a VISA agent. 

Thai language for the majority of us; learning conversational Thai can be very difficult, due to the nature of it being toned based, and the Thai written script, I won't go there!

But, learn the Thai language basics of greetings, money, directions, and food, and you will get by, you will pick up other common Thai words in your daily journeys.

It is expected all Farangs are more financially viable than Thais, so be financially diligent.

Romantic relationships, take your time and don't overcommit too early, understand once you're in a full relationship with a Thai woman, you are supporting the woman’s Thai family.

Personal relationships, be aware of the people you develop relationships with, don't lend money to people.

Transport, taxis are relative cheap here, ensure you use metered taxis, Grab works well here also, refrain from any engagement on motorbikes, absolute putting your warfare and life at risk. 

Driving, if you are in a position to drive, you are going to encounter a whole new experience, it's like Mad Max III on the roads here, just drive with the defensive attitude that everyone else is out there is trying to kill you, and you will survive,

Big alert, Zebra crossings and speed limits are not norms for Thai drivers, you are going to shake your head on what you will see, don't get into road rage incident's, guns and knives are quite often used in road rage incidents here.

Prepare for the often random police road checks here, any confrontation of an alleged infringement can be addressed with a small donation.

Food, depending on your taste buds, great variety of foods available, street vendors, choose carefully.

Accommodation, establish yourself initially in a rental property to gage your social and travel needs, select a property with the environment that matches your lifestyle.

Medical, once in your 70+ age group, cost of medical services here can be finally overwhelming, this can be an individual's decision on their preferred options, usually based on personal health status.

Weather, three seasons; dry and hot, hot and hotter and wet and hot, so you can leave all your woollies behind.

Politics and corruption, this is a self learning experience; but you will get the generally run-of-the-mill on what goes down here on a daily basis, never be surprised.

Forums, like this one, joining a number of foreign or expat online forums will keep you up to date on daily issues and stories.

Taxation, ok the elephant in the room, the TRD (Thailand Revenue Department) under direction from the new PM, (go find me more tax revenue - the county is broke - get it off those pesky Farangs 555) official updates to the tax laws are still being finalized, but expect as a foreigner be prepared to be paying tax on your certain funds remitted into Thailand and tax on any other income earnings in your native or other countries not remitted into Thailand (It's a Tax fest).

Get out and travel and enjoy all that Thailand has to offer you. 

Finally, If you cannot embrace the above, you will suffer a slow and painfully agonizing Thailand lifestyle.

PS. Possibly missed a few categories, but the general points on foreigners moving and living in Thailand I think I covered.

If you were a visitor or lodger in someone's house would you not expect to observe and adhere to the house rules, however irksome they appear to be? Chillout, as the saying goes. 

3 hours ago, HuaHinNew said:

IMHO, the biggest challenge is, you have to conditionally accept the Thai culture and their ways in every aspect of life here.

If open-minded, you soon adapt, no problem. Thais are a friendly, contented people, if very ethnocentric. If a bigot, however, it seems that you must always remain a bigot; and so the "challenge" and misery will never end. Then you turn to moaning, bashing, and nonsense on the forum for relief.

Be prepared for the mountains of useless bureaucratic paperwork you will experience.

Fill out a few forms on your computer, run 'em off yearly w/ copies of your passport. Go by the bank on the way to Immigration. In and out in 30 minutes, B1900.

Immigration engagements will test your patience and fortitude, take he hit and engage a VISA agent. 

Meet all requirements, have the docs required (above), dated and signed. IO checks and gives you a number to pick up your passport the following day. Piece o' cake.

Thai language for the majority of us; learning conversational Thai can be very difficult, due to the nature of it being toned based, and the Thai written script, I won't go there!

Practice makes perfect. But you have to want to learn the basics and not be lazy. Bigotry is one of the main obstacles. Knowing basic Thai makes everything better, as should be obvious.

It is expected all Farangs are more financially viable than Thais, so be financially diligent.

Be financially diligent in your own country before you arrive.

Transport, taxis are relative cheap here, ensure you use metered taxis, Grab works well here also, refrain from any engagement on motorbikes, absolute putting your warfare and life at risk. 

Bolt > Grab. Buy a motorbike, use motorbike taxis as convenient.

Prepare for the often random police road checks here, any confrontation of an alleged infringement can be addressed with a small donation.

Road checks sometimes occur and both Thais and farang are stopped and checked. Violations may sometimes be handled via donation, but you may get a ticket and your keys confiscated until you pay at a nearby table and given a receipt, or same at the police station.

Medical, once in your 70+ age group, cost of medical services here can be finally overwhelming

Unless, before the age of 60, you work in Thai company for a year and join Thai SS. Later continue modest payments and use gov't hospitals free of charge. To self-insure, have 4 million on call.

Weather, three seasons; dry and hot, hot and hotter and wet and hot, so you can leave all your woollies behind.

Up North it gets quite cool, even cold.

Politics and corruption, this is a self learning experience; but you will get the generally run-of-the-mill on what goes down here on a daily basis, never be surprised.

Take no interest in Thai politics, lest you be fall victim to the horrid brain-eating Whither Thailand? space monkeys that plague many of our miserable members. Incurable, except to return to your home country. Be warned. Have hobbies and interests to occupy your time.

Forums, like this one, joining a number of foreign or expat online forums will keep you up to date on daily issues and stories.

Forums like this one full of bashers and whingers may well ruin the great happiness you'd otherwise enjoy in Thailand. Best read just the first post in a thread, if any, or pinned threads, for news needed, such as for visa/taxation. Otherwise, the technical forums can have useful info, IT, Health for example. Most expats, especially property owners, live here happily w/o ever reading any forums, having real lives.

go find me more tax revenue - the county is broke - get it off those pesky Farangs 555)

Good example of paranoid, bigoted farangs loving to play victims and giving out ignorant, false info. Forums are full of 'em, hence avoid reading them. Couple of pinned threads, by the knowlegeable, has all the relevant tax info you need, here. The expat clubs have intelligent, informed members, and sites, you may also consult for needed info.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Pay attention. That's what I said.😉

Pay attention, read your own post, this is what you said: "Make a serious effort to learn the language. Unless you live in the cities you will wallow without it."

• Confused 1

On 7/13/2024 at 9:25 AM, frank83628 said:

is everyone commenting in this thread 75 or more?

As far as I'm concerned yes, the question of stability at that age is superfluous.

So here is my 2 cents worth of Opinium. Lived in LOS for many years and moved back to the west including my wife let me tell you I don't hate Thailand I just hate the system of politics and also being 75 I can't get a health insurance which does not break my bank. We do have our own big house in Thailand (yes, I know I cannot own the land) moving back to Thailand I will also lose part of my pension. So why don't I travel somewhere else? I still travel to Thailand many times a year. Many posters ask me why you are on this forum? How many posters who don't live in Thailand are living in Thailand (sorry doubleted up) So in my own Opinium I do not get the care living or otherwise what I get here in the west. 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, still kicking said:

So here is my 2 cents worth of Opinium. Lived in LOS for many years and moved back to the west including my wife let me tell you I don't hate Thailand I just hate the system of politics and also being 75 I can't get a health insurance which does not break my bank. We do have our own big house in Thailand (yes, I know I cannot own the land) moving back to Thailand I will also lose part of my pension. So why don't I travel somewhere else? I still travel to Thailand many times a year. Many posters ask me why you are on this forum? How many posters who don't live in Thailand are living in Thailand (sorry doubleted up) So in my own Opinium I do not get the care living or otherwise what I get here in the west. 

I'm searching a place where I do not need to travel anymore for my last days or years. 

Haven't found it yet. Feel a bit tired already of long distance hauls, even I have direct flights available again. Just can't see myself travelling, or want to travel back and forth when I reach 75. Still 20 years to go before that, but already now, feel enough is enough flying in and out. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I'm searching a place where I do not need to travel anymore for my last days or years. 

Haven't found it yet. Feel a bit tired already of long distance hauls, even I have direct flights available again. Just can't see myself travelling, or want to travel back and forth when I reach 75. Still 20 years to go before that, but already now, feel enough is enough flying in and out. 

Just hang on I moved to LOS about 2009 

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

As far as I'm concerned yes, the question of stability at that age is superfluous.

I'm not 75 ,not even 65 ,not even 62

But Soalbundy ,......the positives are....I will be still posting here in 15 years ! 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

you're only 50 sth and already tired of flying?

13 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

you're only 50 sth and already tired of flying?

Traveling with airplanes and helicopters  have been my life since young man, I hope to find one place to feel rested and ok to be, and no need to travel anymore, especially when I get older.

It's ok to have a plan? Suddenly you are there, and no plan, what then?

• Like 1

Make sure you have enough money to cover yourself medically. If not, go home. I've got 3 friends who've died in Thailand recently due to lack of funds. One in the parking lot on a gurney. Seriously.

7 minutes ago, Roo Island said:

Make sure you have enough money to cover yourself medically. If not, go home. I've got 3 friends who've died in Thailand recently due to lack of funds. One in the parking lot on a gurney. Seriously.

Well at least they didn't have to load him up on the gurney ,good on him for doing it himself 

I mean he was in his 80's ,how long you want him to go on for ?

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Traveling with airplanes and helicopters  have been my life since young man, I hope to find one place to feel rested and ok to be, and no need to travel anymore, especially when I get older.

It's ok to have a plan? Suddenly you are there, and no plan, what then?

Hope you got some inspiration from the AN community that will help you make your decision.

Keep us posted. 

Pls don't be one of those aholes that moves back home and then starts threads bashing thailand!

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

But Soalbundy ,......the positives are....I will be still posting here in 15 years ! 

Each and every post a gem.

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2024 at 7:31 PM, Hummin said:

Everyone have something they wish they did different that someone else can learn from. Even you 

Only thing I'd do different is mong more than I did.

Oops, two things- never get married, as well.

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well at least they didn't have to load him up on the gurney ,good on him for doing it himself 

I mean he was in his 80's ,how long you want him to go on for ?

I'll be very annoyed if I make it to 80. It's bad enough already and it's never going to get better.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Roo Island said:

If I could go back to 2018, I'd stay in LOS, but not bother with expensive insurance. I'd spend the money on women and have a happy life till the end came.

8 hours ago, Hummin said:

I used to love flying till 9 11. The stupid regulations brought in after that ruined it as enjoyable experience.

NB not all the regulations were stupid, but having my sewing needles confiscated is stupid.

I also had a 3 inch stubby screwdriver confiscated because i might have used it to unbolt the seats! I kid you not- that was the reason given. The moron didn't even know that seats are not secured by screws.

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

You can't know that. I have a 70 year old brother in Australia who looks like a 45 year old with a 6 pack that a 20 year old weight lifter would envy, he does a 40 km bike ride before breakfast. Recently he broke his neck doing extreme mountain bike riding. They saved his life after an airlift to hospital and for the next 6 months wore an iron cage around shoulders and head. He was given a complete spinal scan as a last check up and two cancerous tumours were discovered in his intestines. Thankfully he had a successful OP. For the first time in his life he questioned his active carefree life style, never one for introspection his recent emails hint at a change, he had never before considered his life as transient.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I also had a 3 inch stubby screwdriver confiscated because i might have used it to unbolt the seats! I kid you not

screwdrivers can actually be used to attack someone.

why would anyone travel with one anyway?

and they're cheap to replace and easily purchased anywhere.

if this is an excuse to travel less, it's a silly one.

• Agree 2

On 7/13/2024 at 12:25 AM, Jingthing said:

I want to amplify on a point I made before.

The problem of Thailand having no path to permanent residence for expats on retirement status.

In my opinion, this is a super big deal.

If you're moving here with the plan of having some fun for a few years before moving on to somewhere else or back home, not a problem.

But if you're looking for a new home, a place to live in for the rest of your life -- BIG PROBLEM.

There's something called time and the human condition.

People get older and older and inevitably there are health issues.

If you've lived in a place for decades as an older person moving country becomes more momentous.

So you're settled. You don't want to move at all. 

Yet as you get older and older in Thailand, fully settled with no desire to ever leave, you STILL must always be on top of both real and potential visa changes that could potentially uproot with devastating effect.

For the rest of your life.

If you had chosen a country offering permanent residence or citizenship in the first place, you wouldn't have that burden.

People in earlier stages of retirement probably can't imagine the significance of this.

But it's very real. 

This is why I don't recommend retiring in Thailand or to any other country where you can't get permanent residence.

Of course there are strong pros and cons to retiring to any country.

But I'm suggesting the lack of a path to residence security SHOULD be a deal killer for many more people than it is (because they lack the imagination of what that really means over time). 

IMHO this is the best post in the thread because it is the voice of reason about something that is inescapable for 99.9% of the folks here

Back when my wife & I lived in Chiang Mai I remember being at Immigration doing my yearly renewal & a van pulled up & unloaded 4-5 foreign retirees in wheelchairs. I remember thinking I was not sure I wanted that for my future. Also that in fact these guys were lucky they had someone some retirement home to take them or remind them of these tasks that you will need to do forever just to be allowed to stay.

As JT said it is real & the potential is unlimited for change etc. Most do not think that far ahead.

Edited by mania

8 hours ago, soalbundy said:

You can't know that. I have a 70 year old brother in Australia who looks like a 45 year old with a 6 pack that a 20 year old weight lifter would envy, he does a 40 km bike ride before breakfast. Recently he broke his neck doing extreme mountain bike riding. They saved his life after an airlift to hospital and for the next 6 months wore an iron cage around shoulders and head. He was given a complete spinal scan as a last check up and two cancerous tumours were discovered in his intestines. Thankfully he had a successful OP. For the first time in his life he questioned his active carefree life style, never one for introspection his recent emails hint at a change, he had never before considered his life as transient.

Extreme story.

3 hours ago, susanlea said:

Extreme story.

Yes but I don't think these two experiences, which should have been a spiritual wake up call, will initiate any fundamental change in him, he has, on a material level no need or desire to change. He is a millionaire, happy, successful in his business and private life, likable and courageous. This shock will fade, his humour will plaster over his existential fear, he said to his surgeon, "If I can't take it with me, I'm not going" but who knows where he really goes when he sleeps.