Phuket Old Town Rainbow Crosswalk to Be Removed After Multiple Accidents

webfact

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Define woke?

Β 

This again?Β  How many times do you need people to define woke to you before you stop pretending it doesn't have a definition?

Β 

Just because you don't like the way a word is now used, doesn't mean you can wish it into nonexistence.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So in this example... Woke can be defined as excessive political correctness, virtue signalling and progressive activism that is overreaching and insincere.

Β 

Any sane person knows what the more recent definition of "woke" is.Β  People like @Jingthing just don't like this new meaning so they constantly lie about it.Β  "No one can even tell me what the new meaning is!!!"Β , they lie, after having had it explained clearly to them multiple times. πŸ™„

Β 

They believe that if they deny the new meaning, they can remove the power the word has to criticise something that they like.Β  Very Stalinesque...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

I don't agree with the right wing "definition" of woke pushed here.

Β 

It's simply a sloppy attack word meant to often successfully shut up people.

Β 

https://archive.ph/KWwOu

Β 

Β 

Opinion: The war on β€˜woke’ is meaningless, which is why it’s so popularΒ 

Β 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Do you consider all who complain are "karens" a woke term used indiscriminately, often incorrectly, which, in fact, makes you a "karen."

No.Β 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Nothing is being pushed, it's simply an explanation of how the word is being used.

Β 

E.g. someone watches a new Star Wars movie or series, notes that the plot and characters are awful and it exists solely to push an agenda, then suggests that "wokeness" is to blame. This is a completely logical and appropriate use of the word as adequately defined above.

Β 

What is wrong with coining a new word/phrase, or adapting a current one, where it perfectly describes a new phenomena?

Β 

The fact is, radical leftists hate the new use of the word, because it allows criticism of something that they like, therefore they want to deny its existence.

Β 

As I said, all very Stalinesque:

Β 

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I'd agree that the word 'woke' is often used incorrectly to point score in an argument - however, I provided you with a definition and the context within which I used this term - I believe it was this post (below) which brought on this discussion...

Β 

[Woke Definition:Β  Woke can be defined as excessive political correctness, virtue signalling and progressive activism that is overreaching and insincere]

Β 

Do you disagree with this definition of woke JT ?Β  (no need to get personal or upset - I think its a valid discussion to see where and how the difference in understanding and opinion have created a conflict in the first place).Β  Β 

Β 

Because.... I think the very actions of Authorities in Phuket to paint this crossing is particularly woke.. Any risk or danger was overlooked due to political correctness, were authorities virtue signalling and insincere ??.. perhaps. I think they just thought that this is a 'fashionable and popular thing to do, so lets do it [paint the road]'....

Β 

... It was a clumsy course of action - and that is the problem with 'being woke' (in the context I understand it)...

Woke-ness can knee-cap common sense - we have seen this a lot with the LBGQT+ issues of late (especially in sports).

Β 

The opinions I have presented have not been 'anti-gay' - at least I don't believe they are, they have been anti-lack of common sense, and because some make take this specific subject very personally the interpretation of my comment has been met with some bias rather than taking it on face value.

Β 

... Painting the crossing was a silly thing to do - whoever made this decision did so because of wokeness, I don't see any other reason for it.

Β 

Now.. I really do hope that they don't just paint over the top of the rainbow with grey or black paint (which would be equally as slippery) - they need to remove the paint completely so that the road once again has better grip.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Β 

For politely disagreeing with you and asking a question?  Sheesh... 😬

Β 

Sounds more like he was trying to break through your ideological shell and the cognitive dissonance was too much for you.Β  I bet you even think of his reasonable and polite question as "right-wing trolling".Β πŸ™„

Β 

Exactly as stated - I was also putting out an olive branch for JT to prove his interpretation of Woke and understand why he thinks so differently from the perspective of finding out if I have something to learn here..

Β 

This forum would be incredibly dull if we all thought alike. There is value in understanding different viewpoints and interpretations of the world around us.

Β 

It's unfortunate that JT seems unable to separate emotion from discussion.

Β 

One of the things that interests me is why people think the way they do. Can they support their viewpoints with sensible arguments, or are their thoughts clouded by bias and emotion?

Β 

It's challenging to have a meaningful discussion when people cannot acknowledge their biases and react emotionally to questions.

Β 

Β 

Regarding the specific topic, I'm curious about why those in authority thought it was a good idea to paint a crosswalk in rainbow colours.

Β 

And as I mentioned, after highlighting potentially flawed thinking, will the same decision-makers take the easy way out and paint over the rainbow instead of properly removing it?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Do you consider all who complain are "karens" a woke term used indiscriminately, often incorrectly, which, in fact, makes you a "karen."

Β 

Doesn't like "woke" because it's an "attack word", but is happy to call people "karens" for complaining about something...Β πŸ€”

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Β 

One of the things that interests me is why people think the way they do. Can they support their viewpoints with sensible arguments, or are their thoughts clouded by bias and emotion?

Β 

It would be interesting for people to try to explain the situation with these zebra crossings, or something like recent Disney Star Wars flops, without their words matching the new definition of "woke".

Β 

I feel, if they were being honest, they could only possibly describe exactly what the concept of "wokeness" means.

Β 

It's like people trying to deny racism against White people. They say, "No, that's not racism, that's just discrimination against someone based on race" (which is obviously the definition of racism). Some people just don't want the label of racism applied where the person is White, so they cannot see this obvious contradiction. The same appears to be happening with "woke".

Β 

It is indeed very hard to discuss some things in a objective manner sometimes.

Β 

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Β 

Exactly as stated - I was also putting out an olive branch for JT to prove his interpretation of Woke and understand why he thinks so differently from the perspective of finding out if I have something to learn here..

Β 

This forum would be incredibly dull if we all thought alike. There is value in understanding different viewpoints and interpretations of the world around us.

Β 

Β 

Β 

It's challenging to have a meaningful discussion when people cannot acknowledge their biases and react emotionally to questions.

Β 

Β 

Regarding the specific topic, I'm curious about why those in authority thought it was a good idea to paint a crosswalk in rainbow colours.

Β 

And as I mentioned, after highlighting potentially flawed thinking, will the same decision-makers take the easy way out and paint over the rainbow instead of properly removing it?

He'll probably scream and scream and hold his breath till he goes blue!πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Β 

This again?Β  How many times do you need people to define woke to you before you stop pretending it doesn't have a definition?

Β 

Just because you don't like the way a word is now used, doesn't mean you can wish it into nonexistence.

They think they can change what the definition of a woman is - therefore they think they can change anything that does not fit their 'narrative'.Β 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

How about you defining one of your favourite slurs- fascist?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

So you can't define it then, or is it that is just a meaningless word that is used by the simple folk when they get outraged by something like a rainbow?Β 

• Confused 2
  • Love It 1

9 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

So you can't define it then

Β 

Who said I can't define it? I can and I have. It's been defined pretty well in this very thread actually.

Β 

or is it that is just a meaningless word that is used by the simple folk when they get outraged by something like a rainbow?Β 

Β 

Nope. It has a clear meaning that has been defined many times. You don't want it defined because you view it as a threat to something that you like, so you wish to pretend it doesn't exist.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

So you can't define it then, or is it that is just a meaningless word that is used by the simple folk when they get outraged by something like a rainbow?Β 

Β 

I think the term has been defined quite well - this is how I would define the term Woke.

Β 

'Excessive political correctness, virtue signalling and progressive activism that is overreaching and insincere'..Β 

Β 

Β 

Present your alternative definition if you have one...Β  Β Β 

Β 

Β 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Β 

Has nothing to do with this story, did they give you the brain cell today?

"cue a conservative making stuff up in his head to get outraged aboutΒ πŸ™‚Β "

This is what I responded to with the google search link.Β  Β Multiple links about the rainbow crowd making being upset about street crossings.Β  Β Not something made up but real life.

Whose pronoun is "they" that you refer too?

On 7/14/2024 at 9:13 PM, radiochaser said:

"cue a conservative making stuff up in his head to get outraged aboutΒ πŸ™‚Β "

This is what I responded to with the google search link.Β  Β Multiple links about the rainbow crowd making being upset about street crossings.Β  Β Not something made up but real life.

Whose pronoun is "they" that you refer too?

Β 

I know this is difficult for you to understand, think about context and reasons why, and also fancy thinking clickbait from media is somehow accurate reporting, aren't you lots always screeching about MSM?Β 

On 7/14/2024 at 2:36 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Β 

I think the term has been defined quite well - this is how I would define the term Woke.

Β 

'Excessive political correctness, virtue signalling and progressive activism that is overreaching and insincere'..Β 

Β 

Β 

Present your alternative definition if you have one...Β  Β Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Haha so you will get triggered by meaningless stuff, conservatives are the biggest fragile snowflakes everΒ 

Β 

Woke is meaningless crap, meant to make conservatives outrages over and over againΒ 

• Love It 1

On 7/14/2024 at 2:22 PM, BangkokReady said:

Nope. It has a clear meaning that has been defined many times. You don't want it defined because you view it as a threat to something that you like, so you wish to pretend it doesn't exist.

Β 

Yeah, cos it doesn't exist, other than the fevered cheese dreams of moronsΒ 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/14/2024 at 2:36 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Β 

I can apply that to conservatives as well i.e. meaninglessΒ 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, cos it doesn't exist, other than the fevered cheese dreams of moronsΒ 

Β 

You have literally no idea how words work. Woke is a word, that word now has a new meaning, and it therefore exists. The previous meaning of woke actually developed from a further previous meaning, as people started to use it in a different way, that has simply happened again.

Β 

Word meaning evolve and change over time. You don't like it and you would like it to not exist, so you lie about it.Β πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Β 

But don't let me interrupt your childish rage-fit. Please continue your ignorant fuming at something you hate, fear, and cannot understand.

16 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Β 

I can apply that to conservatives as well i.e. meaninglessΒ 

Β 

You think you can take one word from a definition and then say something is the same because it has that one word in common??? You're a trip!

Β 

Next you'll say that a dog has the same meaning as a chair because the definitions both include four legs!Β :cheesy: