Motorcycle taxi drivers brutally beating tourist caught on video

webfact

1 minute ago, NowNow said:

So I don't understand your point. This is a tourist on Phuket, rather than "someone who has been there any length of time". Should he know that they are on a hair trigger?

you beat me to it!

bob.

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

All the time?  A couple of times over several years would be more accurate.

I think its perhaps more often than we read in the news...  certainly more than a couple of times over several years...

Unprovoked attacks (which are what I am responding about) happen, and have been reported, more frequently?  Really?  Where and when?

"I think its perhaps more often than we read in the news..."

Speculating about situations that have not been reported to have happened is just fatuous.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Can you explain 'white knight syndrome' in the context of what you have written? It make no sense at all.

Coming to the rescue here of someone that most likely engaged and responded to a negative situation on the street, in turn, an act inviting a knuckle sandwich. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NowNow said:
15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Really?   Got something empirical to back up that assertion?

Yes, I've been here for thirty years. How about you?

Being here the same period of time as I have been is not evidence that unprovoked attacks happen as frequently as "all the time" as some posters are alleging.   Got some examples of more than a couple of unprovoked attacks "happening all the time"?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NowNow said:

....and instead seek the 'protection' of local thugs? Of which you seem to thoroughly approve.

What should a small girl do if she is up against someone bigger?

She asked the local guys if they can help her. Does that surprise you?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NowNow said:

So I don't understand your point. This is a tourist on Phuket, rather than "someone who has been there any length of time". Should he know that they are on a hair trigger?

He should behave and not assume he can do and say whatever he wants. That's a good start. 

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

He should behave and not assume he can do and say whatever he wants. That's a good start. 

What if we were having this exact same conversation in person and I took umbrage to your tone? Would it be okay if I administered a beating to you? That's what you are suggesting here, isn't it?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

you mean the motorbike taxi driver??

yeah I agree!

bob.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

..... we seen it too many times - Foreigner attacked with machete over 50 baht... etc

No, "we" have not seen it "too many times", unless you're meaning that any number of times is "too many", a sentiment with which I would agree, but I doubt that was your intended meaning.  I believe that you were suggesting that foreigners being attacked with machetes for B50 has happened frequently and I dispute that assertion.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, "we" have not seen it "too many times", unless you're meaning that any number of times is "too many", a sentiment with which I would agree, but I doubt that was your intended meaning.  I believe that you were suggesting that foreigners being attacked with machetes for B50 has happened frequently.

What are you actually arguing about here? You seem to be arguing just for the sake of it. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:
27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What's a "peado" [sic]?

You know Lou, I know you do.

Dont act like you don’t know Lou.

Well, I do know that there is no such word as "peado". 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NowNow said:

You seem to have a habit of ONLY posting to disagree. Most unpleasant.

It's called having an opinion; that it doesn't match yours, or others', and for that being categorised as "most unpleasant" is even more unpleasant.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well, I do know that there is no such word as "peado". 

I seem to have triggered you.

Some posters were saying there is no need for violence but I would argue that peados is one example where violence could be justified and in many countries it is.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, NowNow said:

You'll find a lot of my posts are helping others. Whereas some people post ONLY to argue. 

You seem to think that having a different opinion is "only posting to argue"; if that is the case, to use your logic, your having a different opinion to other posters is also "only posting to argue"...unless you're a hypocrite.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, NowNow said:
44 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No... It does not, not at all - there is no condoning of violence at all.

But, there is an understanding amongst 'most' who've been here any length of time that there should be no reaction at all to these guys...

..... we seen it too many times - Foreigner attacked with machete over 50 baht... etc

"should a tourist know that they [moto-taxi's guys] have a hair trigger' - Yes, they should know from the perspective of it would be better for them to know etc...    Is it their fault if they don't know, it cetainly suggests a lack of common sense & street smarts...

... Should a tourist react to provocation ?...   A sensible tourist would avoid such provocation and prevent a situation escalating into an argument... This would be true of any nation, particularly nations which have weaker legal systems.

Before you nit-pick... I'm not condoning violence of the taxi-guys at all...  But I am suggesting Tourists should know better than to 'react' with poor language or in a manner that leads to escalation.

(I'm not suggesting in this case (reported Op) that the tourist used bad language etc- but, I would suggest that the tourists reaction / behavior led to an escalation).

• Sad 3

48 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Unprovoked attacks (which are what I am responding about) happen, and have been reported, more frequently?  Really?  Where and when?

"I think its perhaps more often than we read in the news..."

Speculating about situations that have not been reported to have happened is just fatuous.

In that case... 'Unprovoked' attacks... I completely agree with you... Extremely rare...  

Perhaps just a couple in recent memory... (the tourist couple caught up in an unprovoked attacked in Hua Hin a few years back - but that wasn't moto-taxi guys).

• Sad 2

38 minutes ago, NowNow said:

What if we were having this exact same conversation in person and I took umbrage to your tone? Would it be okay if I administered a beating to you? That's what you are suggesting here, isn't it?

No, thats not what he's suggesting - that's you bringing in a logical fallacy - the comparison of those from a completely different socio-econimic demographic is flawed...

... If you were having a conversation with poorly educated lower class 'thug' in your own country, you'd take great care to moderate your tone due to the potential for them to 'take umbrage'... 

The same applies here...  this does not justify a violent response in any form, however, we should still be applying common sense...    

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is a text book social hierarchy case.  Foreigners are so low in the pecking order to them that we are always in the wrong.

Whether the dispute was a fare dispute, parking dispute, looking at them dispute, verbal dispute doesn't matter.  You will be taught a lesson to not do it again.  

I can feel the hatred emanating from the motorscooter taxi boys on my daily walks and cross the street to avoid any contact with them.

Beating up foreigners who fail to follow the social hierarchy system is their immediate judicial right. They are teaching the foreigner that they are superior.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

As highlighted by OMF… [If people get beaten up, there is normally a reason for that]…

Not condoning the pack violence or any violence at all - but the victim may be responsible for ‘triggering a conflict which the moto-thugs escalated.

Very little happens when people keep their mouth shut & behave. 

In general you are correct, but for some reason Phuket seems to have its own rules?

How many articles just on AN about rogue taxi/motorcycle taxidrivers, immigration, etc

4 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

In general you are correct, but for some reason Phuket seems to have its own rules?

How many articles just on AN about rogue taxi/motorcycle taxidrivers, immigration, etc

Yep.. I agree - The moto-taxis / Taxi's / TukTuk drivers in Phuket seems particularly notorious for their behavior and ease with which they turn to violence at the slightest issue...   

It could be the un-initiated and or drunk tourists who react negatively to attempted price gouging and that leads to the escalation...   when visiting other nations, when I don't know the 'area and risks' one thing I am very careful of is not to verbalise or speak any negative response, knowing how things can quickly grow arms and legs and turn nasty.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it depends.

The following is just an example, I don't know what happened in above case.

As we all know, there are lots of mostly female service providers in Thailand. And because officially they all don't exist, and they are not allowed to provide certain services and get paid for it, they look for other solutions.

Some guys think they can use this to get free service from the girls. And not surprisingly, the girls don't like that.

So, if something like that happens, what are the options for the girls?

a) walk away without payment

b) go to the police. Maybe they fine her, because she did something illegal.

c) ask the local guys to tell the guy he has to pay. And make sure he does not forget.

c happens from time to time. And personally, I have no problem with that.

Is that what happened here? I don't know.

But we had already an informal survey in this forum about unprovoked attacks. Basically, they almost don't happen. If people get beaten up, there is normally a reason for that.

Wow  can you back up you comment, with verifiable proof, if not, then it is just a fabrication  of your mind.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

"should a tourist know that they [moto-taxi's guys] have a hair trigger' - Yes, they should know from the perspective of it would be better for them to know etc...    Is it their fault if they don't know, it cetainly suggests a lack of common sense & street smarts...

... Should a tourist react to provocation ?...   A sensible tourist would avoid such provocation and prevent a situation escalating into an argument... This would be true of any nation, particularly nations which have weaker legal systems.

Before you nit-pick... I'm not condoning violence of the taxi-guys at all...  But I am suggesting Tourists should know better than to 'react' with poor language or in a manner that leads to escalation.

(I'm not suggesting in this case (reported Op) that the tourist used bad language etc- but, I would suggest that the tourists reaction / behavior led to an escalation).

Do most _-taxi guys have a hair trigger? I don't think so.

I use regular taxis and motorcycle taxis in Thailand since decades. Sometimes I disagree with them about their price (before or after the trip), sometimes I ask them to drive or ride slower, and I honked my horn from my own motorcycle often enough at them.

How often was I attacked? Never.

I also never used 4 letter words with them, especially that f word. Most civilized people in the world don't like to hear that word. Accept maybe Americans, but we can argue if they are part of the civilized world. 😉 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1