Mae Hong Son cracks down on inappropriate tourist behaviour

snoop1130

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

When I first came to Pai I saw hill tribe women doing gardening with their breasts hanging out over their shirt

Excuse me, but....

How is that even possible?

Were they wearing their shirts upside down, or what?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

paitourist2.jpg

Mae Hong Son Governor Chucheep Pongchai issued an urgent directive to tighten regulations and enhance supervision of tourism activities in the Pai district, following reports of inappropriate behaviour by some foreign tourists during river tubing on the Pai River.

The matter came to the fore when a local resort owner in Pai raised concerns about the current state of tubing activities along the Pai River. The complaints revealed that alcohol and beer were being illicitly sold to tourists, disguised in plastic water bottles to evade detection.

Tourists, after finishing their tubing activities, were reportedly seen wandering around town in their swimwear, with some men donning only swim briefs and women clad in two-piece swimsuits or bikinis. This behaviour has been deemed disrespectful to local culture.

Additionally, there have been instances of tourists sneaking into resort areas for sexual activities, leading to police reports and widespread online criticism.

In response, Chucheep directed relevant agencies and business operators to promptly implement measures to regulate tourism in Pai, particularly focusing on tubing activities involving foreign tourists. The objective is to preserve the town’s reputation as a desirable tourist destination.

The district chief of Pai initially reported the inappropriate behaviour linked to tubing activities. Consequently, district authorities and police will convene with business operators to establish cooperative measures.

These will include a ban on alcoholic beverages during tubing activities, regular inspections, and ensuring tourists dress modestly, wear life jackets, and respect local cultural norms. While most tourists have been cooperative, there have been a few exceptions.

The Deputy Governor of Mae Hong Son is scheduled to visit the Pai district to attend a meeting with relevant agencies to further organise and solidify tourism measures.

Mae Hong Son has emerged as a popular destination for both Thai and international tourists alike. From the beginning of the year until July, nearly 40,000 tourists have visited. River tubing on the Pai River is seen as a significant attraction for foreign tourists, reported Pattaya Mail.

By Ryan Turner

Image courtesy of Pattaya Mail

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

What's wrong with girls in bikini's? I see the point in these fat, ugly, big bellied guys going shirtless, but girls in bikini's? Come on,what normal guy is going to complain about that?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

These tourists should be ashamed of themselves wearing shorts and bikinis to go into the water on a tube. How dare they show so much skin. They do not go there for suntans and water fun. They need to wear modest clothing that covers all their bodies like Thais do. Hmph. Am surprised there is not a comment from the PM or Prayut about their being so underdressed for this water sport

I didn't know that tubing is a water sport, in fact I have never even heard of it.

16 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I guess that the place will be less desirable to tourists now.

I'm sure the traditional handicrafts demonstrations and floating markets will be the new attraction.

55 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

So, it's a case of, "we don't actually care about immoral behaviour if we can't see it happening, even if everyone else can, but the minute we can see it, we want it stopped" then?

A tad hypocritical.

where did I say that? You missed your calling I think, you should have been a journo.

27 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

where did I say that? You missed your calling I think, you should have been a journo.

Well, I am asking a question. If that's not how you think it is, a reply would be the perfect place to make your meaning clear.

4 hours ago, khunpeer said:

Ptya & Phuket are beach towns, so you can expect some bathingsuits walking around, but Pai is a mountainvillage with a couple thousand inhabitants, hardly to be compared to those places...

…and a river. With activities on the river ie tubing. Heavily promoted water activities. Hardly surprising people wander around in swimsuits.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, khunpeer said:

I also 'rivertubed' in VangVieng before the turn of the century! 

it was the first year, 2 or 3 tubes and that was it! 

one with nature, for me that was the max!

now I don't even want to go back there, afraid of a big dissappointment...

<snip>

Invites comparisons with Phuket in 1988 and now ☹️

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Looks like the locals have done here what they do all over Thailand... entice the tourists to a new venture and forget the sustainability bit.

Pack as many in as possible, sell everything you can and milk it for as long as it lasts.

Stiff competition from vietnam and Laos for tourism… Thailand just got to provide as much fun to all types of tourists and more.  It is what tourism not ecotourism is about. Milk them for what they have got or else other countries will do the favour. 

17 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

If those young Farang want to behave in that fashion, why come here?

Instead, why don't they just go to South Beach, nor far from Miami.

They would be happier there.

And, Pai People would be happier here.

Also, those bikinis they are wearing in Pai are pretty ugly.

I doubt they would be welcome at South Beach, overdressed that way....

image.png.0b2c29a73fbea541c0a0b87b52a08ff1.png

Those young female Farang infesting Pai, these days...

They think they are Hot.

But, they are NOT!

No respect for local mores.

Seemingly no respect for themselves, either.

If I want to see HOT...

I go to South Beach, or...

I head for Brazil.

Never....Pai!

Note: I have not linked the video here.  Reason:  This Topic is about Pai...not South Beach.

I bet you are fun to hang out with 🙈

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Stiff competition from vietnam and Laos for tourism… Thailand just got to provide as much fun to all types of tourists and more.  It is what tourism not ecotourism is about. Milk them for what they have got or else other countries will do the favour. 

If what you say is true, then this is a shame.

It just becomes a competition between neighboring countries, ...and....

A race to the bottom.

Maybe you (we) just need to tour paths less traveled, to paraphrase Robert Frost....?

If we go to places that advertise their attractions on social media, and on sites that appeal to the lower classes, then Pai is an example of just how far things can quickly deteriorate.

Pai should do what other places do.

Make Pai super expensive.

And, invest in Pai's infrastructure in order to justify the much higher expense of staying there.

Keep the riff-raff out.

In fact, Pai should really take a lesson from BORA BORA.

Bora Bora has upped its image to appeal to a more exclusive group of tourists and clientele.

I would suggest that Pai spend its tourism advertising in the world's university graduate schools, for example,

In order to attract smarter visitors who are more interested in protecting and respecting Pai's cultural heritage.

Meanwhile, Pai should really take a harder look at Bora Bora to see the kind of competition for a better class of visitor which they are...

Up Against....

image.png.412efcd91604afa9a76ce1d94d123e4f.png

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

I've never seen anyone walking in Brighton town centre, UK, in swimwear or having sex in public space during summer.

It is not illegal to have sex in public in the UK, unless there are two members of the public witness it.

~ In Thailand, it is not acceptable and illegal, yet many tourists think, they have the right to do it because they are tourists, spending money in Thailand.

~ Tourists in Europe spend a lot more than in Thailand, with this kind of reasoning, they should have the right to do anything they like. Shouldn't they walk about naked in the Buckingham palace and have sex in the British museum? Why don't they? Is there something they respect? Why is it OK in Thailand? Is it a lowly country?

~ You are in a foreign land. It'll be wise to learn about where you are. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Right = the new Vang Vieng...I hate that town in all the world.

Think the deaths in VV were due to hitting their heads on rocks from launching/diving in the water.

Pai about worst place to take your Thai g/f as you get looks like she is your hooker from tourists fresh off the plane....

"Titter titter... a white guy with a Thai female."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Vietnam, Laos and the Philippines should be the most preferred destinations. They are cheaper than Thailand and people are desperate. A lot of cheap tourists can enjoy the feeling of superiority and exploit the locals as much as they so needed, while they still feel, it is their right to do so since they are spending their small amount of money in these poor countries.

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Farang perverts will pay for that especially English,

Come to think of it dancing with hijab with nothing under, occasionally revealing the forbidden parts can be appealing to some. Ok let’s open a bar together with that theme. I bet a lot of Muslim and as you say some farangs may be a good target. And the name?  “72 virgins”, “haram agogo”. Any thoughts?

5 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

OR respect the local culture? Might be an idea.

what culture??? Don't know the reputation Thailand?? The land of sex, nightclubs, and gigs??? Tourism for many years and not adapted yet...Or do we also have to go swimming with all our clothes on because of the culture? Preserve the culture and stop with the rafting, but that will cost money 

Edited by ikke1959
  • Sad 1

Put this in the stuff you do when you're young and stupid category.

I did it in my 20s on the Brazos river in Texas.  You get one tube for the cooler with beer.  Of course Texas is flatter than a banana pancake, so there was no white water.  You get fried in the sun. Back in the old days, you hitchhiked back to save money. This was a while back when Texas wasn't so bat<deleted> crazy. At least people in Pai don't have AR-15s like Texans do now.  Woo hoo, I guess. 😄

1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

Think the deaths in VV were due to hitting their heads on rocks from launching/diving in the water.

Pai about worst place to take your Thai g/f as you get looks like she is your hooker from tourists fresh off the plane....

I was there last weekend, was the Jazz and Blues festival, different venues, no-one actually gives a shi!t who you walk around with especially the young people, they're busy enjoying themselves, as everyone else was.

2 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Yes.

And, to the tourists fresh off the plane...

All Asians look alike, too.

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is very serious stuff. Foreigners drinking beer on the river. Foreigners walking around in a bikini on a hot day. This could tear apart the very fabric of the nation and lead to utter and complete moral degradation. Something must be done to arrest the slide. What could happen next. We must maintain our purity. 

And horror of horrors, grown adults indulging in sexual activity in resorts,   according to the article the vast majority of people are well behaved, makes one wonder if a "crackdown" is actually necessary.      Could it be perhaps that Mae Hong Son is just starting to feel a little bit left out of the current trend,  A tourist resort can hardly be considered a true tourist resort without a few stories of badly behaved tourists so they are just updating  their profile

• Haha 1

For instance

It was just yesterday, i red a Thai girl (17) was molested, cut open and had many stitches, brutal abused by x Thai friend.

The police did nothing.

Two Thai girls 13 &14 run down a man and killed him with motorbike, they arent allowed to drive.

The police did nothing.

So Thai are discriminating white people, however white people seem to think they can and must misbehave.

Well must admit, if you see Spain, it is the same. All complete drunk holiday people, misbehaving and once in a while even someone died (murdered)

For Thailand well see this then for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyve1w_RgJI

Sorry, youtube is not allowing to embed.

But if understood right, even men cant just show naked upper body in Thailand.

Thailand devided ? Cant in Pai, but ok in Pattaya.

However Thailand is now working on creating sex toy market ! And gambling will not take long time to be legal.

SO why whining about this?!

Thaksin free without any jail and next month hooray, Yingluck back, no jail of course.

Ghollem, ghollem

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

• Agree 1