60-day visa exemptions are now unlimited at land borders

5 hours ago, JesusonaPogoStick said:

FWIW- just did the Chiang Khong crossing and 60 day stamped. Told Laos Imm. that I was just doing a turn-around, so there was no paperwork/photos needed (always good to be over prepared)-2k baht(believe it can be cheaper w/agent). BTW, if you have never been to Chiang Khong, it's worth staying for a day or two. Easy bounce.

Do you know if it's an unlimited border run over there too?

34 minutes ago, kimothai said:

Making a visa run every 60 days doesn't sound like much fun.  I made one visa run (van type) to extend my initial "OA" visa back in 2009.  It was one of the most horrible experiences of my life.  A suicidal driver who thought he was a F1 driver.  Just lucky I survived the ordeal.  Never again.

Thanks for your honest report!

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BobDobbs said:

Seems absolutely counterintuitive. People with money fly and brokies go overland. My guess is this will change come November.

So, no more land thingies for you then...........😰

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/18/2024 at 9:54 AM, DrJack54 said:

Your experience is proof of nothing.

You are correct that this topic has been done to death.

People have been refused boarding pass by airline flying visa exempt without an onward flight. 

Seems dependant on brand of airline, city of departure etc 

Many reports of this requirement.

Including my own experience. 

Need to show funds and onward flight by immigration on arrival basically never occurs

Agree with your comments @DrJack54inasmuch as it's just "safer" to have  either a visa or ongoing ticket.

I wonder what you and other people think about this possible scenario:

Under new rules: Flying London to BKK on Emirates.

Have a return ticket with the return booked 80 - 85 days from arrival.

My intention being to use the (new) 60 day visa exempt, then get a 30 day extension at Jomtien.

The question being, would that return ticket which is over the 60 days still satisfy Emirates at the London check-in?

Or would they want to see a return ticket within 60 days?

It would avoid the expensive hassle of changing my return ticket. 

6 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Seems absolutely counterintuitive. People with money fly and brokies go overland. My guess is this will change come November.

Back in the day, I used land-borders because I knew I would get back in - whereas the airports might say I spend too much money in Thailand, and refuse entry.  Flying cost wasn't a factor to nearby locations.

If they just followed the rules at the airports - have the return-ticket and 20K Baht worth of cash - then that would not have been necessary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Great news for foreigners living in Laos who need to pop across the border for shopping or medical treatment. 👏

Same for cambodia

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

500 baht to an agent to get your extension

What extension is 500 baht from an agent?  The cheapest - and only if over 50 - is 12,500. 

I am happy for all the under 50s who won't go through the hell I went through to stay here, when I was younger, and had plenty of income, but no "applicable visa" option other than the elite rip-off. 

I do hope they bust anyone who HIRES illegally, though - as in, the EMPLOYERS.  A few well publicized cases - going to prison for years - would curb that very effectively.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, dcalaska said:

That was my first concern. Where did you read this? Thanks.

There a few companies online that allow you to get a flight with a 48 hour confirmation window for $12 or 15/ 

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Surely that's a wind up.

Married guys can obtain annual extensions with just 400k in bank for 2 months and then use it.

They also can obtain extension 60 day to visit wife if they are not using annual extensions.

Sweet deal. 

but what about to support the thai wife after the extension? If it were only for 1900 thb extension... It's still a sweet deal?

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

9 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

but what about to support the thai wife after the extension? If it were only for 1900 thb extension... It's still a sweet deal?

Nonsense reply.

Pretty much every farang in Thailand married or partner supports wife/partner ongoing

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

Not sure what your point is. A one year extension based on being married to a Thai national does cost 1900 baht, just like any other extension.

If that's a sweet deal (or not) depends on the quality of your relationship with your wife.

Nobody forced you to marry her, and certainly not Thai immigration. They just provide you with a legal way to stay with her as long as your marriage exists de facto and de jure.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2024 at 9:29 AM, Liquorice said:

Unless the Government repeals the current Ministerial regulation only permitting two land borders entries per calendar year

I'd love to have a link to that "current Ministerial regulation". Can you oblige?

On 7/18/2024 at 9:29 AM, Liquorice said:

Meanwhile, the left hand isn't communicating with the right hand again.
Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme

UK ordinary passport holders can travel to Thailand without visa for no longer than 60 days (maximum 2 times/year).

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/exemp-visa

Yes, the Thai embassy in London has built up quite a reputation for getting things wrong.

On 7/18/2024 at 12:56 PM, novacova said:

Looked, haven’t seen anything regarding this on mfa or gazette 

Interior Ministry Announcement in the Royal Gazette:

https://ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/documents/37565.pdf

Infographic on MFA website:

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/content/thailandnewvisa-en?page=5d5bd3da15e39c306002aaf9&menu=5d5bd3cb15e39c306002a9b0

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Not sure what your point is. A one year extension based on being married to a Thai national does cost 1900 baht, just like any other extension.

If that's a sweet deal (or not) depends on the quality of your relationship with your wife.

Nobody forced you to marry her, and certainly not Thai immigration. They just provide you with a legal way to stay with her as long as your marriage exists de facto and de jure.

I am happy with tourist/exemption visas honestly. I am not into marriage with thai women, it's only a loss of money with them. In fact there is written extension for support thai wife, this explains everything

But i don't want to get off topic, i can only say: tourist visas and unlimited border runs for a long time, i really hope so haha