Thai PM Launches Project to Transform Thailand into Financial Hub

44 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Not quite:

Belgium's deposit guarantee scheme (SGD) protects deposits in Belgian banks up to €100,000 per person and per bank. The scheme is called the "Guarantee Fund for deposits and financial instruments" and is activated when a bank can't meet its obligations, such as in the event of bankruptcy or fraud.

Thanks for the correction, I was misinformed

3 hours ago, ozz1 said:

Factories closing unemployment rising i think he's dreaming maybe he should work for tat

That's all he's done since he started.

• Agree 1

A check first. How many members have USD or other foreign currency accounts in Thailand ? And how easy is it to get one ? It used to be a difficult thing. Is that still the case ? You cannot be a financial hub if you cannot easily transfer foreign currency. These days I live in Indonesia. My bog standard bank account has 10 different currencies available. 

9 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

A check first. How many members have USD or other foreign currency accounts in Thailand ? And how easy is it to get one ? It used to be a difficult thing. Is that still the case ? You cannot be a financial hub if you cannot easily transfer foreign currency. These days I live in Indonesia. My bog standard bank account has 10 different currencies available. 

It still requires the same authorisation criteria as a regular bank acaccount. You could transfer USD in and without converting it to baht try and send it out, but you would still have to meet the criteria for foreign transfer.

4 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

With this protection, better to leave your money in a box under the bed:

The Thai Savings Guarantee protects up to a maximum of ฿1 million baht per person per bank. 

This is a major, major reason for not putting one's money in a bank. You're much better off buying gold and keeping it in a container underground. Gold's value increases far more than what you get in the form of bank interest  and a bank can't confiscate it if you have over 1 million Baht in gold.

I'm starting to think he has ADHD. If he could just settle on one policy and actually make it happen, he'd be far better off. But, as the saying goes, this guy is "All hat and no cattle."

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Hubs don't apply punitive taxes on foreigners. But did he go to school?

Sure; he went to an 'All Pass' school like all the other Dimwits running the Country !

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Here I was thinking we might make it through a whole day without another hub, guess not 🫤

Sooo good , you made my day !! thx

Just now, Purdey said:

The Government Savings Bank guarantees 100% of your savings. No limit. 

However who knows a few years from now?

I have GSB accounts, and yes they are 100% guaranteed, and some of them are also free of withholding tax.

My biggest concern is, when the need for the deposit guarantee ever occurs, if I ever gonna see a dime as a foreigner. We all know where the money has to come from, and how we are regarded in this country.

I'm sure there must be members on this forum who lost deposits during the 1997 crash when many banks went t*ts up. Maybe one of them can comment if they recovered any losses.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, MarkT63 said:

One look at the stupid facial recognition farce at Krungsri bank will tell you everything you need to know about the state of financial management in Thailand :cheesy:

Bangkok Bank isn't any better... Got so frustrated I walked out of the agency before I finished the procedure.