Elderly Man Dies in Phuket after Falling from Bike

snoop1130

Norco-Search-XR-Apex1-06-16426ea.jpg

A 60-year-old man tragically lost his life early today when he fainted and fell from his bicycle while on his way for medication at Thalang Hospital in Phuket. The local police were informed of the incident around 6:50 am and soon arrived at the scene, together with an emergency medical unit from Thalang Hospital.

On arrival, they found Wisut Aekkachai, a local resident, lying unconscious by the roadside. Despite instant medical intervention, Wisut was declared dead on the spot. He had minor injuries under his chin and a non-severe wound on his left knee.

Wisut's brother, Sanya Ekachai, shared that Wisut was dealing with severe alcoholism which often made him faint. He used to cycle to the Thalang Hospital daily for his regular treatment.

The police, with the help of doctors from Thalang Hospital, carried out a preliminary post-mortem examination on location. Later, Wisut’s body was moved to Thalang Hospital for a more detailed post-mortem examination by a forensic doctor from Vachira Phuket Hospital to determine the precise cause of death.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-30

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

And just how much spare money do you suppose this old gent had lying around to fork out for taxis every day?

There are plenty of old timers in the villages and many of them work until an advanced age. There's no such thing as retirement for farming communities. Our village elder died just last week. He was 102 years old!

A motorbike taxi doesn't cost much. Or ask a neighbour as you referred to rural communities. Also, you get a pension. Not much indeed

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And just how much spare money do you suppose this old gent had lying around to fork out for taxis every day?

There are plenty of old timers in the villages and many of them work until an advanced age. There's no such thing as retirement for farming communities. Our village elder died just last week. He was 102 years old!

He died young my G/F died at 113

• Confused 2

Sounds like he died suddenly from some type of infarction.

Therefore, this death was most likely utterly unrelated to biking, unlike that other guy, recently reported.

No doubt, I would say, that he had a broken thrombosis.

This is often true in such cases.

And, what about his liver?

Alcohol causes all of this, including infarcts.

Let's wait for the update on his postmortem.

I just hope that he gets a qualified/talented doctor, this time, to perform his autopsy.

Sounds like, while alive, he may not have received all that the medical profession is able to provide in these modern times.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Got it.

I thought you meant girlfriend 🤣.

I gave you a thumbs up as an apology.

Never mind I never get upset. By the way, I am the youngest one in my family I am just a spring chicken of 77 years (yesterday) my sister who lives in Europe is 89 now my mother died at 98. 

• Thumbs Up 2

48 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

Very sad.

Always quite disturbing in wathcing those oldies of 50 or 60 yrs and more acting like teenage easy riders in Thailand on Big Bikes etc.

Easy with the oldies tag, 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

A motorbike taxi doesn't cost much. Or ask a neighbour as you referred to rural communities. Also, you get a pension. Not much indeed

Unfortunately, fainting while riding as a pillion passenger on a motorcycle still results in falling off.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Sigmund said:

Very sad.

Always quite disturbing in wathcing those oldies of 50 or 60 yrs and more acting like teenage easy riders in Thailand on Big Bikes etc.

So a guy of 60 years old falls from his bicycle, maybe/probably from a stroke or heart attack, and you answer with a post about oldies of 50 years old riding a big motorbike acting like a teenager. Any connection with the OP, or are you just jealous of those big bike riders?

Edited by stevenl
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, newbee2022 said:
2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Unfortunately, fainting while riding as a pillion passenger on a motorcycle still results in falling off.

2 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Could be stripped tight to the driver

Presuming you mean 'strapped tight to the driver', as if any rider is going to permit that!

That would probably result in them both falling off.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

So a guy of 60 years old falls from his bicycle, maybe/probably from a stroke or heart attack, and you answer with a post about oldies of 50 years old riding a big motorbike acting like a teenager. Any connection with the OP, or are you just jealous of those big bike riders?

I've not recovered from my first trip to Pattaya, seeing an old farang on a Harley Davidson with a young Thai girl on the back.  😮

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Presuming you mean 'strapped tight to the driver', as if any rider is going to permit that!

That would probably result in them both falling off.

No, many motorbike drivers (bikers) got backpacks with them. I can't remember any falling down by carrying them

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:
6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

5 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

No, many motorbike drivers (bikers) got backpacks with them. I can't remember any falling down by carrying them

I'm guessing you haven't ridden motorcycles very much. A back pack is firmly strapped in place and moves with the rider. He 's got the measure of the balance. A pillion passenger not predictable, especially one who is liable to faint enroute. It's not a risk I would take on.

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I'm guessing you haven't ridden motorcycles very much. A back pack is firmly strapped in place and moves with the rider. He 's got the measure of the balance. A pillion passenger not predictable, especially one who is liable to faint enroute. It's not a risk I would take on.

As I said before: stripped to the driver it's like a backpack. Try it, then you'll agree 

9 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

As I said before: stripped to the driver it's like a backpack. Try it, then you'll agree 

I most certainly would NOT agree! If a passenger is not STRAPPED to the rider and he faints, he would most likely simply fall off. If he was STRAPPED to the rider and fainted his dead weight would very likely pull both rider and passenger off the bike. 

When carrying a passenger, a motorcyclist relies on the that passenger be 'in tune' with the movements of the bike. It's actually one reason why I would never carry a pillion who is drunk.

As I said, I suspect you haven't ridden motorcycles very much.

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I most certainly would NOT agree! If a passenger is not STRAPPED to the rider and he faints, he would most likely simply fall off. If he was STRAPPED to the rider and fainted his dead weight would very likely pull both rider and passenger off the bike. 

When carrying a passenger, a motorcyclist relies on the that passenger be 'in tune' with the movements of the bike. It's actually one reason why I would never carry a pillion who is drunk.

As I said, I suspect you haven't ridden motorcycles very much.

And a backpack wouldn't be "in tune"?😳

10 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

And a backpack wouldn't be "in tune"?😳

Sorry you're just becoming a nuisance. End conversation!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1