Thai style condo - Can I...

10 minutes ago, anyone said:

I am considering the purchase as an investment to then rent out 3-4 thousand a month.
I wonder if payback in 10 years is normal or too much/too little.

As you more than likely have Thai customers only with no knowledge of English, how are you going to manage that.

Contract, maintenance, people doing a runner and trash the place.

Will you be paying tax? Setup a business with 51 % Thai ownership?

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

As you more than likely have Thai customers only with no knowledge of English, how are you going to manage that.

Contract, maintenance, people doing a runner and trash the place.

Will you be paying tax? Setup a business with 51 % Thai ownership?

You use an agent to list it, to avoid "work permit" rules - if you are smart - many to choose from.  They generally take 1-mo-rent as payment for a successful rental.  The deposit takes care of "runners" and minor-damage.  Major damage is criminal, and unusual.

31 minutes ago, timendres said:

I would be surprised if the rent could pull even 2,500 per month. More likely 2,000.

for 2,000 a month I could live on my own 😉

34 minutes ago, timendres said:

I would be surprised if the rent could pull even 2,500 per month. More likely 2,000.

That depends on location / proximity to public-transit and whether it has air-con or not +/- furnishings and appliances.   The 2K rooms tend to be cheap apartment tiny-rooms, with a bath you can barely turn-around in.  The older condos are often larger than newer ones.

Edited by Rob Browder

On 8/1/2024 at 1:44 PM, anyone said:

I am considering the purchase as an investment to then rent out 3-4 thousand a month.

It will never pay back cuz you'll be paying condo fees. And in those old buildings sewer pipes can break water pipes will break The water tank could be totally rusted out on the roof.

On 8/1/2024 at 1:44 PM, anyone said:

more like 1500

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/1/2024 at 1:37 PM, Rob Browder said:

Note that some condos are occupied by Non-Thais from certain 3rd World countries

In Pattaya we have several condominiums similar looking (slum)......... Flybird, Nirun. 

Lots of foreigners from the west living in these dumps. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

On 8/1/2024 at 2:24 PM, timendres said:

No, In BKK depending where 5 to 6000 easily for a studio dump, been to a a couple of Thai gfs living quarters I certainly couldn't and wouldn't stay more than a night...

On 8/3/2024 at 3:02 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

In Pattaya we have several condominiums similar looking (slum)......... Flybird, Nirun. 

Lots of foreigners from the west living in these dumps. 

I looked at Flybird - not lived-in by Thai people, that I saw - and looked like where the inhabitants come from.  I did see one Westerner among the others. The best "deal" I saw was 400K for a completely trashed unit.
Nirun was not bad, but prices were too high (relatively speaking) - most of the trashed-units having been bought-up and refurbished, apparently. 

In Bangkok, it is a mix.  There are 200K units in bad-looking buildings, but ~300K in "not bad" buildings - paint not peeling, floors not torn up, etc - and much larger than the little 24 sq/mt "newer" units going for over 1M Baht.

2 hours ago, stratocaster said:

To give an idea here is a Bangkok APARTMENT not a condominium asking 200,000 baht and yes it is in the boonies of Bangkok. 30 sg meters

condo1.JPG

condo2.JPG

condo3.JPG

condo4.JPG

Not something to buy if you suffer from depression 

On 8/3/2024 at 2:56 PM, newnative said:

Seems like a lot of work for such a tiny payoff.

Yes one of the problems with these LOSO condos is you can't spend much money on it, because it will out price everyone, so it's basically LOSO for ever

• Like 1