What are the best ways to meet other expats?

27 minutes ago, steven100 said:

because there's some on here I don't want to drink with  :w00t:      and maybe they feel the same ...  :biggrin:

To be very honest, these online communities never fails to amaze me!

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, sungod said:

Did we bump into each other there at some point? You seem remarkably knowledgeable about the place.

Were you a left of right of the yellow line type of guy?

Went once, that was once too often

• Sad 2

44 minutes ago, sungod said:

I guess humor is not one of your strong points.

Anyway, thanks for the history lesson.

Nothing humorous about that dump, or the greasy low life crook and murderer who ran it. Too many low life's just like him running these places. 

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

https://www.internations.org/

They have meetings every few days at different and usually interesting venues, for expats.

Just put your email address, they will keep you informed of dates and times.

5 hours ago, IsaanExpat said:

Dont. Just dont. I gave them my email in '17 when I started travelling internationally. They infect your email inbox worse than Herpes and no matter how many times you unsubscribe it comes back, like Herpes....

I recommend you use a throw away email address for stuff like that.  Check out yopmail.com.  If you get an email that you want to keep you can just forward it to your real email inbox or just copy the relevant text and save in a note taking app.  Keep in mind that yopmail has absolutely no security because they don't even use passwords.

3 hours ago, Jeff the Chef said:

I'm on my 2nd year here living out in the sticks, every time I see a foreigner (white /black westerner on my travels locally I make the effort to say "Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening, some respond, some don't, no problem to me, politeness never hurt anyone. 

I see the odd one or two in the shopping malls. Like you I generally say good morning and only 1 Dutch guy stopped to chat for a while. The rest either said good morning or simply ignored me. Up to them.

Edited by billd766
corrected some bad spelling
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You're in for a world of hurt if you want to meet expats in Thailand. 

Most are untrustworthy, criminal type, no morals or ethics. 

Typical Barbarians, oh hang on thats you, Conan 😂

Heed my warning dude. 

Daily I see these kinds of laughable posts. People thinking they can generalize about foreigners about how they act. How many do you actually really know here? It would truthfully be a fraction of who lives here, meaning less than 1%. I know personally maybe 30 or so, and only a couple well enough to comment on their behavior, which is good from what I see. No one lives with anyone else 24/7 so you don't know but little about them. You don't know if anyone cheats or abuses their partners, of if they treat them very well, as people lie and don't want to lose face or be embarrassed with the truth coming out. The ones I know seem to treat their wives okay, from what I hear, but I don't know, and neither do you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

Brothel not a club. The criminal owner Marc who people used to grovel to and praise for his services as a pimp was shot and killed 2 years ago this April. Finding himself terminally ill he thought he would go out and murder his ex and business partner. Stupidly he shot and killed her first, then although shot the other French guy got the gun off him and shot Marc. Pity I was hoping to see him spend the rest of his life in prison. He was also a convicted drug dealer having spent time in a Japanese prison, and a blackmailer. This is the sort that many other foreigners actually looked up to. 

Sad thing is many people look up to politicians, billionaire developers, actors, actresses, sports figures and the Kardashians. Anyone ho has ash and they might get some from is a hero, even if he's a human trafficker underground.

Just now, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Gotta agree - most of the ones I have met are 'damaged' and they become trouble very quickly - especially women - I now avoid them. However, the tip about joining a bike riding club and/or a golf club and meeting Expats that way is good.  Those guys who do things tend to be far better people than those with tats all over, stay inside most of the day, frequent bars and other places.  All good if that is what they want to do, but not the type I want to meet (again).

The is a guy called Pat in Bangkok and he has a utoobe channel - one of his best vids is about the types of Expats in Thailand and who to avoid.  Number 1 on his hit parade is the 'Thai Apologist' who thinks he is almost a Thai and defends everything Thais do in 'their country' - and says things like 'leave if you dont like it' - all due to psychological issues with having internalised the belief that he is almost Thai as a 'coping mechanism'. 

Agree with most besides the part about tattoos. Everyone in my family has them besides me, and they're all good kids (adults now). My dad had one also. And there are quite a few people who work out that are psychos. Many are narcissists. But true if they're doing something healthy they're more likely to be healthier in thinking, as the better you take care of yourself, the more likely you'll take better care of others. Also not to generalize. Your second paragraph rings true for some that post here. I call them brown nosers, as they actually think if they defend locals that those locals care about them. Yes, you should treat everyone well, but there's a difference as you can tell.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, sungod said:
4 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

I think it would be good for this Forum to have an end of year or Xmas party.

i would love to meet a few of you in real life.

I'm sure the feeling is mutual with many members Malcolm

That reaction here, so far, sure doesn't seem to be the case!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, ravip said:

In a way I understand that. Imagine meeting up with the 'sad & confused' gang face to face :w00t: 

and they really don't drink much  ....  and then they start to tell you how much they own ...  :w00t:

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Have a stroll along Soi Bukhao during the day plenty of expats sitting in bars on their own.

maybe they're looking for a 22yr old bar girl .. not a 65yr old AN member 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Why?  What had he done to you?

I feel the same way about some criminals. People who steal, do drugs to get high, cheat on partners, call people names, are all doing wrong, but hardly in the class of rapists, murderers of innocents, child molesters, corrupt officials that traffic humans, the traffickers themselves and those that rape the earth for profit. These most anyone would like to see sit in a cell for many years to think about what they did. It's called empathy when you can feel what others feel, putting yourself in a victims shoes. It's called being human.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You're in for a world of hurt if you want to meet expats in Thailand. 

Most are untrustworthy, criminal type, no morals or ethics. 

Typical Barbarians, oh hang on thats you, Conan 😂

Heed my warning dude. 

True, and many are dreadful users who will forget you the moment you need something, even if it's just a sympathetic ear. Thais may have their faults but they are mostly better people than the foreign riff raff here. 

• Sad 2
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why?  What had he done to you?

Blackmail, threatening the wife and threatening friends. Hope he's in hell after what he put us through and others.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Not sure I would want to meet some of the people behind some of the posting here.

I have met a few decent ones, and been disappointed with others who I thought were friends and been badly let down, though that is only the odd one or two.

6 hours ago, twizzian said:

Living far from touristy and expat magnets, I’ve always found the few expats that live in my city tend to deliberately snub another foreigner 

I'm the same but there are no more expats left who I can get snubbed by.

21 hours ago, Conan The Barbarian said:

Are there any expat events or get-togethers? I'm really tired of only seeing Thai faces, especially since they can't speak English and I don't know Thai.

Meetup.com lots of social groups. 

I go to crypto meetups and tech meetups. I don't drink so I don't go to the purely social drinking meetups. 

I started playing Dungeons & Dragons which is fun, I've meet some nice people through that.

I should perhaps point out that I generally prefer meeting and making friends with people in their 20's, 30's and 40's.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1