Thailand overstay 32 Days

Hello guys,

I hope you are doing well!

I arrived in Thailand on July 12th. I thought that the visa regulations had changed since 15 June (information from internet), and that I would receive a 60-day visa upon entry. So, I didn't check the stamp in my passport because I didn't know that I can see there how long I can stay. Two months later, I want to make a visa run and I found out that the new regulations only came into effect on July 16th, four days after I arrived. This means I received a 30-day stamp instead of a 60-day one. Now I've been in the country illegally for 31 days. I know I have to pay a fine now. I'm willing to pay the fine, but I also want to be able to re-enter the country. Can you help me with my case? I really didn't know that I was only allowed to stay for 30 days.

If I have to fly out can I for example fly to Vietnam and come at the same day or the next day back to Thailand?

37 minutes ago, Dande said:

If I have to fly out can I for example fly to Vietnam and come at the same day or the next day back to Thailand?

Best option is to fly out of Thailand and pay fine at airport.

Fine will be 500/day overstay.

I would not come back same day or next day. Why the urgency ..

Here is very old thread where guy overstay was 70.

Sound advice posted in thread.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1040637-overstay-70-days-can-i-re-enter-if-i-leave-and-pay-the-20000-fine-and-return-in-a-couple-of-days/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Dande said:

Thank you very much for the answers. When do you think it will be possible for me to enter the country again?

I made a similar mistake 20 years ago, I didn't find out until I was at the airport, I was going to Singapore for a few days anyway, using my points at the Marriott, when I came back I didn't have a problem, I must admit them days it was a lot easier, 

22 minutes ago, Dande said:

Thank you very much for the answers. When do you think it will be possible for me to enter the country again?

I didn't mean to imply you cannot return straight away.

More that a few days out would be good idea.

In thread I posted, ubonjoe even suggested that obtaining a SETV was good idea. 

Tourist visa currently hard to justify given it's 60 days and visa exempt also 60 days.

You mentioned Vietnam...I'm just back from Saigon. Ripper place. Easy to spend time there. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Dande said:

Fly in from Vietnam to Chiang Mai but stay away for a week, it will be fine. I did it this year twice with 10 and 14 days, they didn't even ask. And a newbie tip for you: you always make a photo of your entry stamps and/or visa when arriving somewhere. In this case you can always proof your visa in case you lose your passport too or when not carrying it, aside from knowing the dates.

Edited by BakedPanda
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Dande said:

Last summer, I had a 61-day overstay. Paid 20K at Swampy. Flew to Phnom Penh, returned 3-4 hours later. No problem.

A 1 or 2 day overstay can often be sorted out at the local immigration office without the need to leave the country - this is the way it was before anyway but it may vary depending on where you are.

A few years back my mother was over here and we forgot to do her extension after her 30 day visa examption, 3 or 4 days of overstay, so we went down to Hua Hin immigration and did the extension and paid the fine at the same time. This was after they introduced the bans.

I know they offer this service for people who forget for a short amount of time as I believe it happens a lot.

So @Dande you have a couple of days overstay and can fix it at a local immigration office - but that might depend on where you are. Of course if you're somewhere they don't do it you could simply check into a hotel in some other city where they're more friendly and do the extension there......

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Arrived on July 12th so has been here 31 days, which is 1 day overstay, 2 days overstay today.

As Immigration office was closed Sunday/Monday, could he have gone to immigration & done his extension today with no overstay/fine? 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Can never undersatnd why anyone doesn't look at their stamp when they enter any country ?   There's an old saying...''Always read the Smallprint'' !

Several years ago, on arrival, I had a wrong 'stay until' stamp, I immediately went to the immigration at Suvarnabhumi and it was corrected. Since then I never leave the airport without checking my until stamp.

• Like 1

Just go to vietnam for a few days ! Easier, and then re entering Thailand you get 60 days visa exempt. Go now , pay overstay if any at airport. Saigon and Hanoi are great.  Cheap flights too. 

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Good pick up....

I just took this sentence from OP..

"Now I've been in the country illegally for 31 days" 

On face value.

In actual fact here legally 30 days and looking at short overstay. 

Thanks. Yes, I was aware of that, I could have done the same mistake...:thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Can never undersatnd why anyone doesn't look at their stamp when they enter any country ?   There's an old saying...''Always read the Smallprint'' !

Yeah, lady put in my passport 30 days on arrival, I looked at it funny while getting passport back, she smiled said you probably coming with multivisa, she did correction and it was all a 20 seconds deal. Just check what they put in your passport. 😃

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 9:17 AM, Dande said:

I arrived in Thailand on July 12th. I thought that the visa regulations had changed since 15 June (information from internet), and that I would receive a 60-day visa upon entry

Okay, how about you tell us the date you stamped IN to thailand and the date you're allowed to be here because your post is sure screwy

BOY I SURE NEED TO LEARN HOW TO READ 😮 My apologies to @Dande 

If you showed up July 12th you should have been stamped in until Aug 10th (which was a Saturday) and IF you'd gone to the immigration office yesterday (the first day they were open after the weekend and holiday on Monday you could have gotten your 30 day extension WITHOUT paying an overstay fine 

You can still go to the immigration office pay the 500baht a day fine and get your 30 day extension like normal 🙂 

Can you post an image of your red entry stamp so people can get to the bottom of this

Edited by Tod Daniels
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

If you arrived July 12th why would you imagine you'd get stamped in for 60 days (seeing as you admit that didn't start until the 15th and you were already HERE at that time)

Presumably, as he says, he thought it started in June.  No mystery here.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Presumably, as he says, he thought it started in June.  No mystery here.

Clearly got his June's and July's mixed up in interpreting the info he got from the web, methinks!

23 hours ago, Dande said:

I thought that the visa regulations had changed since 15 June (information from internet), and that I would receive a 60-day visa upon entry.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

Okay, how about you tell us the date you stamped IN to thailand and the date you're allowed to be here because your post is sure screwy

BOY I SURE NEED TO LEARN HOW TO READ 😮 My apologies to @Dande 

If you showed up July 12th you should have been stamped in until Aug 10th (which was a Saturday) and IF you'd gone to the immigration office yesterday (the first day they were open after the weekend and holiday on Monday you could have gotten your 30 day extension WITHOUT paying an overstay fine 

You can still go to the immigration office pay the 500baht a day fine and get your 30 day extension like normal 🙂 

Can you post an image of your red entry stamp so people can get to the bottom of this

Looking at this logically, I'm pretty sure it would've been June when the OP entered and not July. 

There's a big difference in knowing you've been in the country for 30 days vs 60 days.

Edited by degodasilva
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1