Messaging App Rocommendations - other than LINE, WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok

Good afternoon all. Can some of you recommend some alternatives for messaging apps in Thailand, other than LINE, WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok?

I really like the looks of VIBER but I am finding it impossible to register (not getting confirmation code phone call from them...and so far no useful help from there support team). Anyone here use VIBER successfully.....and have advice about this problem? I think I need a different app.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Bob

Edited by sagra

4 minutes ago, sagra said:

Good afternoon all. Can some of you recommend some alternatives for messaging apps in Thailand, other than LINE, WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok?

I really like the looks of VIBER but I am finding it impossible to register (not getting confirmation code phone call from them...and so far no useful help from there support team). Anyone here use VIBER successfully.....and have advice about this problem? I think I need a different app.

Bob

Nothing wrong with What''s App, Messenger or Skype. It's up to you who you communicate with.

I personally steer clear of F Book, LINE, Instagram & Tikky Tok. (Yes, I know Messenger is part of F Book)

But on most of them, you can only call people who have it installed. Skype doesn't but costs you.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Signal.

Telegram.

Thank you! I will research them more. Do you have experience using either of them here in Thailand?

3 hours ago, sagra said:
7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Signal.

Telegram.

Thank you! I will research them more. Do you have experience using either of them here in Thailand?

Yes, both of them, no problems with either and the efficiency of them is just the same as Line, WhatsApp and Messenger.

7 hours ago, sagra said:

other than LINE, WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok?

What do you don't like about them? What do you want?

Personally, I use mostly WhatsApp. It works, it's secure, and I don't get any advertisement. And many people use it already.

For some companies I need to use LINE, i.e. to order things or other communication with them. That works fine. But I hate that there is so much junk advertisement from almost anybody on LINE. So, I use it when necessary, otherwise I avoid it.

Some time ago I looked for secure communication apps and I discovered Threema. At least at the time of my research that was as good as it gets.

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What do you don't like about them? What do you want?

Personally, I use mostly WhatsApp. It works, it's secure, and I don't get any advertisement. And many people use it already.

For some companies I need to use LINE, i.e. to order things or other communication with them. That works fine. But I hate that there is so much junk advertisement from almost anybody on LINE. So, I use it when necessary, otherwise I avoid it.

Some time ago I looked for secure communication apps and I discovered Threema. At least at the time of my research that was as good as it gets.

Thank you. I use LINE, WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok, but I want to find one that others in my life do not know I use. I will check out Threema.

• Haha 1

SIGNAL has always been noted for it's tight encryption. Problem is, very few use it.  You'd have to convince your frequent correspondents to download it.

Viber is very popular in the Philippines.

Edited by dddave
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Nothing wrong with What''s App, Messenger or Skype. It's up to you who you communicate with.

I personally steer clear of F Book, LINE, Instagram & Tikky Tok. (Yes, I know Messenger is part of F Book)

But on most of them, you can only call people who have it installed. Skype doesn't but costs you.

I am quite happy with Facebook that is the only one I got. Virtually everybody I know uses Facebook. Even my family in Europe uses Facebook. Free messaging and video call I don't use TikTok at all reason being part of the Chinese government.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Roo Island said:

What's wrong with Line, WhatsApp or Messenger? They are used by a majority of people

Thank you. I use LINE, WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok, but I want to find one that others in my life do not know I use.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, sagra said:

Thank you. I use LINE, WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok, but I want to find one that others in my life do not know I use.

On my samsung, I can put an app in a secure folder that can only be accessed with a passcode. Just a thought

• Love It 1

On 8/17/2024 at 12:48 PM, sagra said:

Bob

Signal is the most secure right now

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I use LINE for contact with Thai users, WeChat for my contacts in China and WhatsApp for contact with 'farangs' in any country.  Personally, I prefer using WeChat for ease of use etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Roo Island said:

Dodgy as heck and not used by very many

As others have noted Signal is probably the most secure and private of nearly all those mentioned so please explain how it is "dodgy"?

21 minutes ago, Roo Island said:
44 minutes ago, topt said:

As others have noted Signal is probably the most secure and private of nearly all those mentioned so please explain how it is "dodgy"?

It has a very small base and is the app of choice for fringe groups. Like the ones who attacked Capitol.

https://www.wired.com/story/signal-politics-software-criticism/

That does not actually make the app dodgy, rather your association with it may be seen as suspicious by some people.

However, if the only people you tell are other Signal users, no problem.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/17/2024 at 4:02 PM, sagra said:

You are going the wrong way about it. Most apps have similar features as texting, sending\recieving files, voice and video calls.

The main question is who you want to communicate with and what app they are using. AFAIK in Thailand and other Asian countries line app is the most popular app and pretty much any person with a smart phone has a line account. In Western countries most people don't even know about line and I reckon WhatsApp is the most common app 

Signal is known for its strong security and privacy. I have a kinda paranoid friend in the US who wouldn't use any other communication app BUT signal. So in order to be able to communicate with him (usually once a year for his birthday....) I had to install it. He's the only contact I have on signal

On 8/18/2024 at 2:05 PM, McTavish said:

Correct.

Viber isn't far behind.

Most others are compromised or unreliable.

Viber was one on the first apps for free voice calls when WhatsApp was still only texting. Once WhatsApp covered that base I stopped using Viber

I work with many people around this region and I can safely say only Filipinos use Viber. I have to have so many apps.

Philippines: Viber
Vietnam & Indonesia: Whatsapp
Thailand: Line
China: Wechat

Viber is so outdated now. I changed my phone and like the OP I can't get it to work again. Enter your number for a OTP but it never arrives. I have been through support but they can't get it going again so I have ditched Viber and told my Filipino clients to use Whatsapp.

Telegram is actually superb, probably the best overall functionality and I use it a lot. But like others have said what is wrong with Line or Whatsapp? They are perfectly good if you just want to chat and / or do calls.

Skype is a dinosaur.