Swiss man paws for thought after dog bites on Thai beach (video)

26 minutes ago, Lopburikid said:

According to the report they are not strays. the owner is a foreigner who ALLOWS the dogs to run free. As for strays....how do you think strays become strays? Maybe instead of destroying the dogs, we should consider placing the owners behind bars for a few years, maybe 5 minimum, so as to get them to take more responsibility for their dogs actions. Just a thought. A least they haven't gone the stupid UK way of destroying an entire breed because of the actions of a few owners. 

There are more than just one breed that needs eradicating.

Bullies, Rotties, Pit bulls, etc.

Rid the earth of these evil beasts and then put down their tattooed F-wit oners.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

"A Swiss man sought a sustainable solution ................"

Every man and his dog (meant!) knows the solutions to this problem. They have  been recommended many times for these pests, (licence the dogs, keep them on a leash, fine the owners etc. etc. etc.) but the authorities/police are too lazy/reluctant to do anything about it.

Perhaps if they gave a "bounty" for each successful "capture" then the RTP would be more than willing to take appropriate action! 🙂 

• Like 1

If you give a soi dog a good wallop such that it cannot defend itself or run, the other dogs will tear it to pieces.  If you did that often enough problem then solved.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, neverere said:

Where do you suggest the dogs are 'removed' to? Also Thailand does, as a rule, not destroy dogs. 

Romove them to a cemetery - under the surface! 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

14 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

I have heard various reasons, none that make any sense. Usually quoting Buddhism. 

Then the authorities are confused when these dogs are killed or more commonly poisoned. 

It's just a weak excuse, using Buddhism..Just simple low and bad management, with weak ministry leadership.....

32 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Sounds like the tail is wagging the dog when it comes to these shaggy dog stories.

I have a wet nose for things like this.....I can sniff them out.

So it was you!

12 minutes ago, ignore it said:

In a related story,

Mathias, a foreign national residing in Thailand, has sent complaint letters to The Alliance for Responsible Pet Ownership (ARPO), The Right to Roam Movement, the Campaign for Real Dog Freedom, Dog Freedom, and other Leash-Free advocacy groups stating that he and his dogs are being victimized.

He claims that the Thai Local press, various commercial businesses on Ban Suan Luang Beach in Prachuap Khiri Khan, Thailand as well as a very popular Asean on-line news forum have begun a hate campaign.

Mathias has posted a video to Tic Toc and on YouTube hoping they will go viral and help end this harassment.

Mathias states, "My puppies can tell when someone doesn't like them and it hurts their feelings."

So far there have been no views.

"Mathias states, "My puppies can tell when someone doesn't like them and it hurts their feelings."

What a load of codswallop! They're not "puppies" - they are  DOGS, and how about the inbred instinct that dogs can smell fear, and that is why they sometimes go on the offensive - especially if there are a few of them.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Mathias states, "My puppies can tell when someone doesn't like them and it hurts their feelings."

See!?!  People contributing to this thread with absolutely no regard for the doggy's feelings!  If your mum could see you now!

Actually bar girls are the same way, but if you want them to bite you it costs extra.

3 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

The preventive rabies vaccination is available at any clinic in Thailand. I have been vaccinated already 5 years ago to have peace of mind.

There are too many stray dogs over here in Thailand. It makes many people nervous. 

If sterilization is not being done, the only choice is to eradicate all stray dogs.

vaccinated, but still, if you got bitten, you need the shots, AGAIN

so why take a risk with a foreign substance ...

get the shots when bitten

12 hours ago, neverere said:

Where do you suggest the dogs are 'removed' to? Also Thailand does, as a rule, not destroy dogs. 

it's a Buddhist practice, one cannot end other animals life! that's why many temples have lots of dogs/cats!

can be annoying at times, but who are we to decide about life of other creatures?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, tandor said:

1.  Photo/video if possible of injury/scene/dog concerned.

2.  Seek immediate medical attention including Rabies vaccine (3 shots).

3.  Report to Police. (I think there was a recent Law amendment with a penalty up to 50,000THB).

4. Carry a dog deterrent.

5. Lobby local Council, as it appears you are.

Good luck.

In between 1 and 2 you need to add kill dog and take with you to hospital and have it tested for rabies. If negative no need for the human to go thru the rabies treatment. 

4 hours ago, DjSilver08 said:

There is only one solution. All stray dogs/ soi dogs needs to be killed. And done 50 years ago.

Stray dogs have no place too be with people.

If a dog bits a person in a civilized country (western country), the government will make sure to kill the dogs. Even homeless dogs are killed, and this is something Thailand should have made a law too do many years ago. But on the other hand, Thailand is not civilized yet.

there is certainly civilization here, it's called Buddhism.

cannot kill other creatures, period!

always comparing with how things are done back home.

why don't you appreciate what is here instead of moaning what is not?

waste of time...

• Sad 2

Big problem everywhere and definitely a safety issue.  Any stray dogs running loose without ownership collars all need to be rounded up and put down.   We have at least 6 stray dogs in our neighborhood.  We wanted the municipality to come and take them away.  Instead, they came and got them, neutered them, and then returned them--even though we protested that nobody owned them and we didn't want them back.  

Owners should have their dogs under control if not and the dogs bite people they the owners get a heavy fine and the dogs destroyed  or put down  

No excuses people who own dogs should know the rules 

15 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.aaab6ccbd3f304b86f39e68dbe117d18.jpeg

Easier said than done, we have a problem pack, they’ve torn people’s pets to pieces, one had just been brought over from Europe, really tragic., they chase motorbikes and pedestrians, etc, total nightmare. The owner refuses to keep then in as he says he owns his house so has the right to have free-roaming dogs, he doesn’t get that he is supposed to take them for a walk himself. The Police, council etc seem to agree with him unfortunately, had many complaints. 

4 hours ago, Chassa said:

Thai's used to eat dogs when I came here in the 1980's - what happened!

4 hours ago, Chassa said:

Thai's used to eat dogs when I came here in the 1980's - what happened!

Still do in Sakon Nakhon.

• Agree 1

Where I live up in Kalasin, we have a lake in the centre of town and the local government has done a great job of putting a running / walking track all around the lake and floodlighting it with solar-powered spotlights. It's fabulous.

I love it when I get on one of my keep fit and doing five or six miles on the lake, it's just over a mile to do one full lap or circuit.

The big problem is there are houses dotted around the lake and of course dogs.

The STUPID owners actually smirk when the SNARLING AND BARKING dogs in packs of five or six chase us guys walking or running, so much so, that I stopped going.

I intend to start again soon and have bought a cattle prod online from Lazada. It delivers a shock but nothing too dangerous or severe.

I will be taking this with me when I start exercising again next week.

About strays:

Those who want these dogs free to torment whatever soi/beach they want are the ones responsible for most of the suffering. 

The great majority of these stray dogs have a very harsh life, enduring various diseases, fights, pain, fractures (hit by a vehicle), abuse and hunger. 

By "supporting" the very existence of these stray dogs people are enabling this cycle of suffering to continue. Feeding them is possibly the worst way to help the situation, it's just helping them to create new generations of outspring.

IMO the most merciful thing to do would be removing them and putting them up at a shelter, but due to the size of the problem it would be extremely expensive to have enough shelters. Culling in the most painless way would be a second option.

Neutering and releasing on the same spot is already being done by some NGOs, it surely helps in a way but it doesn't seem to be stopping the problem, there are just too many.

Since no one "important" is getting bitten - just random farangs and poorer Thais - nothing will be done. 

Edited by FarangFB
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, paulikens said:

Thais just never complain because they don't like confrontation

They don't, really?...

"A Thai man, 74 year old Champ Manatae, revealed to the media that his home and restaurant were near the beach. He stated that the dogs had bitten both Thai and foreign people.

Another Thai national, 51 year old Sunan Chartchai, disclosed that locals and foreigners in the area previously participated in a beach-cleaning activity a few years ago. However, they no longer dared to engage in any beach activities due to the presence of the dogs.

Business operators who run accommodation and restaurants along the beach also voiced their concerns, fearing that they might soon lose customers if the dogs continued to wander freely and bite people.

• Confused 1