Has anyone faced issues with visa agents—what should I watch out for?

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Why is it these Agent topics always turn into a p_ssing competition ?

Despite being advised to stick to the topic, the legality of agents always gets kicked around.

Have just removed 3 more posts.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, AndreasHG said:

I show up at the due time with the documents required, and everything is done in few minutes (a couple of hours for the multiple-entry retirement VISA).

I make appointment for annual extension at CW and it's never done in minutes.

Most also do the banking requirements eg bank letter etc on day of application lower level.

Reentry permit can be obtained at airport. Don't need to waste couple of hours at CW..

22 minutes ago, AndreasHG said:

As a rule, the first 90 days report, after re-entering the Kingdom from any trip overseas, can only be done in person

You can also do TM47 via mail. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Mason45 said:

Firstly I'm not sure they will notify you because they're out to see if you're breaking immigration rules or not.

I had my first home visit in 28 years recently.

They phoned when they were 10 minutes away from the house.

• Like 1

I've lived in retirement in Thailand since 1993, having previously lived and worked here during the 1980s. I apply for an annual retirement extension at CW, previously at Soi Suan Phlu, Sathorn. Never once used an agent. 3/4 hours of minor inconvenience once a year is a small price to pay compared to the cost funding someone else to do it for me.

• Sad 2

When I lived in Bangkok, I used Asia Visa Tours https://g.co/kgs/8eLEqEV to do my retirement extension but they won't take you on unless you can meet the financial requirements. 

For people who ask "Why not do it yourself", I find the cost of 6,100 THB (+1,900 Immigration fee) to be worth it to ensure that I get my extension on the 1st attempt.

E.g. My last extension in Bangkok I would have been rejected the 1st time as for a short period of time during Covid they were only doing extensions 3 days before they were due & I wanted to do mine 45 days before) & then a 2nd time because I had amalgamated entries in my bank book so needed to get statements - The agent immediately spotted the amalgamated entries & walked me to the bank to get the statements I needed & then had no problems getting me in 44 days before my extension was due. 

For the sake of what amounts to <17B pd I'll keep using an Agent.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

When I lived in Bangkok, I used Asia Visa Tours https://g.co/kgs/8eLEqEV to do my retirement extension but they won't take you on unless you can meet the financial requirements. 

At a guess the OP is not after agent for guidance but most likely required to skip the financial requirements.

However apart for starting the thread OP has not contributed 

9 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Based on my 16 years of doing extensions for both marriage and retirement I have never had to endure more than 4 hours at an immigration office......and I have used 3 different ones, Chiang Mai, Nan, and Surin. 

NOTE: All the lengthy times were at the CM office back during their busier era (later years at the old building and at the Promenada) before the new building.

I've done extensions at Nan and Surin numerous times and it's never been more than an hour (process and queue times).

So in summary, four hours is hardly an issue when I've been stuck in BKK traffic that long before. What's an agent costs 20k-30k? No thanks, 4 hours (at the most) of my time in an immigration office is no big deal to me, I can surf on my phone to easily pass the time. Yes, I understand that I also use my valuable time getting all the paperwork completed.. It's not rocket science. 

To each their own. I renewed my retirement visa myself for years (in Chiang Mai), and as you say I rarely had to wait more than a few hours. Then one year I needed an agent about a special issue, and I’ve continued to use the agent: less than 5,000 baht annually to renew the visa plus do the 90-day reporting. I’ve gotten lazier, the cost is certainly not excessive, plus I can pop in and talk to someone at the agency whenever I have a question about something. For me this works, but I totally appreciate the DIY approach as well.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is also my experience, with an agent.

If your documents are all correct, and you need an agent only to help you to do things faster, then you should be able to easily find such agent, and not expensive.

However, some people would normally not be able to get a visa (extension) and they look for agents who make the impossible possible. Or in other words, they do illegal things to help you. They are by definition shady.

Thailand is full of corruption at every level. Nothing wrong with using certain corruption yourself if it is to your advantage, just as long as your are not detrimental to ordinary people like yourself.

55 minutes ago, steven100 said:

OP asked the question then left .....   he has not come back to review the advice given.  

Correct along with thread off topic  just pro/con use of agents.

Thread closed. 

• Agree 1