Man, 53, Fatally Mauled by Own XL Bully Dog in Lancashire

Social Media

image.png.8512af840af559a52eeefaab306d6c63.png

Lancashire Police have euthanized an XL bully dog after it fatally attacked its owner, David Daintree, 53, in Accrington. The tragic incident occurred at a residence on Ashley Court, where police were called around 9:30 PM on Tuesday following reports of a dog attack.

Upon arrival, officers found Mr. Daintree deceased and determined that the dog, still presenting a significant threat, needed to be destroyed to prevent further harm.

Supt Marie Jackson expressed her condolences, stating, “This is a heartbreaking event, and our thoughts are with the victim’s family. We are thoroughly investigating the circumstances surrounding this incident and encourage anyone with relevant information to come forward.”

Police have increased their presence in the area to conduct inquiries and address any concerns from the community. Specially trained officers are providing support to Mr. Daintree’s family during this difficult time.

Credit: Daily Telegraph  2024-08-23

news-logo-btm.jpg

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Maybe time to look at exterminating such breeds

Extending breed specific legislation is a fools errand.

People will just cross breed other dogs to essentially make the same characteristics. PitBulls are banned in the UK so now we have the XL bully. They might ban XL bully's soon, then people willl start crossing Mastiffs with something else like a Ridgeback to produce a similarly capable dog. 

The answer is not to ban particular breeds but to ensure dogs are trained and kept by responsible, experienced owners. 

Apparently this dog had recently changed owners and the new owner (the man killed) was separating it from a fight with another dog using a stick. That's not to necessarily blame the owner, but it sounds like he didn't raise the dog himself and therefore did not have trust, obedience and loyalty from it. Also, I would wonder why a dog like this was put in a situation where it could fight another dog and then be struck with a stick during the fight. Doesn't sound like a great idea. 

Anyway, it seems the media has a new public enemy number 1 in the dog world. Step back PitBull, now we have the XL Bully. That's what they need to sell their product (fear, indignance etc.). 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Like any assault, the actions of the victim need to be taken into consideration before assuming the attacker was acting improperly. Nothing like that is described in the article above.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

My personal opinion other than military and law enforcement Nobody should be allowed to keep a dog bigger than a Corgi (10-15kg). *I know I know, then these gormless clods will simply breed a dangerous dog that size having the  temperament of a Tazmanian Devil.

I get the concept but labradors are much bigger than corgis are are almost never involved in attacks. I would suggest that all dogs carry liability insurance. The market will soon make the thug dogs unaffordable, and not having the coverage would allow for legal action.

• Love It 2

My idiot Dutch ex friend raised them and he would walk this beast in the Nightmarket in Korat SaveOne which is Huge, people didn’t like it , told to leave the property, Thai people were Terrified 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

Not such thing as a bad dog breed, just bad owners.

That's true but no one who understands dogs would keep one of these beasts

It is almost a shame they get put down. The dog did nothing wrong. It is just following its instincts or training. You know why they are rarely used in law enforcement.

Difficult to train and unpredictable.

Yeah you will link to one in new york

Or the one article where a Irish Setter mauled its owner to death suddenly for no reason.

1 hour ago, WDSmart said:

Like any assault, the actions of the victim need to be taken into consideration before assuming the attacker was acting improperly. Nothing like that is described in the article above.

It's a dog.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, stoner said:
1 hour ago, WDSmart said:

It's a dog.

Why should the species be of interest or concern?

• Confused 4

31 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Fine then keep your well "trained" and "responsibly kept" dog ON YOUR PROPERTY.

No parks, no walking.

Then if it gets out whatever happens you should be tried in a court for the crime of assault to inflict grievous bodily harm or murder, as if you had had inflicted the wounds yourself. Because you know it is a dangerous time bomb.

They already have to be muzzled in public.  

Do try to keep up. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, RayC said:

That sounds a lot like the argument used by the gun lobby in the US. 

Could be a coincidence (I doubt it) but there are a lot fewer deaths from firearms in the UK - where ownership of guns is restricted - than the US. 

Maybe we should restrict ownership and cross-breeding of dogs and see if that has any effect.

Why am I not surprised to see you calling for more big state interference in people's lives?

Anything else you want to ban?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

Not such thing as a bad dog breed, just bad owners.

Just look at the stats for which breeds attack and kill, it's dogs not the owners, a popular but wrong excuse for dog attacks. 

• Like 2