Allergy meds? One a day pill

Kenny202

Full blown allergy mode atm, eyes itchy and watery. I go through this every year and usually start of with Fenafex (Telfast) full strength one a day and after a couple of weeks move to Cetrazine (Zyrtec) one a day pill.The Fenafex I have no side effects too but they are limited for me in results. Get better results with the Cetrazine but seem to put me in this awful drowsy mode which doesn't get any better after a few days. I know both pills are supposed to be non drowsy but I must be the few percent that Cetrazine causes drowsiness. I have also tried Loratadine (Caratyn) with limited result.

What I wanted to ask, and a long shot....I have only ever taken the generic Cetrazine in Thailand. I have never taken the more expensive Zyrtec or foreign brands...not even sure they are available here. I was just wondering if a more expensive pill will be better for me re drowsiness or 10mg of Cetrazine is 10 mg in any brand. No use asking the pharmacy they are only interested in selling you the most expensive and will advise you to buy what benefits them. Maybe one for Sheryll

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Full blown allergy mode atm, eyes itchy and watery. I go through this every year and usually start of with Fenafex (Telfast) full strength one a day and after a couple of weeks move to Cetrazine (Zyrtec) one a day pill.The Fenafex I have no side effects too but they are limited for me in results. Get better results with the Cetrazine but seem to put me in this awful drowsy mode which doesn't get any better after a few days. I know both pills are supposed to be non drowsy but I must be the few percent that Cetrazine causes drowsiness. I have also tried Loratadine (Caratyn) with limited result.

What I wanted to ask, and a long shot....I have only ever taken the generic Cetrazine in Thailand. I have never taken the more expensive Zyrtec or foreign brands...not even sure they are available here. I was just wondering if a more expensive pill will be better for me re drowsiness or 10mg of Cetrazine is 10 mg in any brand. No use asking the pharmacy they are only interested in selling you the most expensive and will advise you to buy what benefits them. Maybe one for Sheryll

Just buy a strip of Zyrtec and try, or is that out of your budget. 

But I don't think there will be a difference. 

You could try to find Desloratadine or Levocetirizine (cheap brand: Levocet from Community Pharmacy). Some people get less tired from these.  Both will be several times more expensive than Loratadine or Cetirizine.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I had/have this, once I had pain down left side of chest. Went to my doctor and he said I had allergy to rain/pollen. He gave me tablets (no idea the name) for two weeks, pain gone.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, PeterA said:

If Zyrtec bakes you drowsey, try Benadryl. AKA Diphenhydramine.  I have used it for most of my adult life.

Jeez that sounds interesting. My specific issue is dry, itchy watery eyes and just googled it sounds perfect. Do you buy pills or medicine? Does it make you drowsy at all? Is it a once a day thing or?

Many thanks for your help 🙂

15 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

No use asking the pharmacy they

Nonsense.

If you ask a responsible pharmacist he'll answer you scientifically.

The safety of generics or even brands is not the same as in EU.

The rules and laws have been more stringent within the last years. However.....I never got issues when buying at Boot's or Pharma Choice.

? What causes your allergy??

? Was there recently a prick test ??

? Was there once a desensitization done??

? When was the last time you saw a allergologist???

😳😳😳

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, PeterA said:

If Zyrtec bakes you drowsey, try Benadryl. AKA Diphenhydramine.  I have used it for most of my adult life.

LOL, the zombie medication for me.

Citrizine shouldn't make you drowsy.  But saying that side effects are different for different people.  

Try fenafex 180mg instead and see how that reacts with you.  They sell a 60mg version that is supposed to be x3 daily.

Our nephew is a pharmacist he recommends Levocet generic brand for citrizine.  It's actually levocitrizine a newer version of citrizine but more expensive too.  It is supposed to have less drowsiness effects than regular citrizine.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, rwill said:

Citrizine shouldn't make you drowsy.  But saying that side effects are different for different people.  

Try fenafex 180mg instead and see how that reacts with you.  They sell a 60mg version that is supposed to be x3 daily.

Our nephew is a pharmacist he recommends Levocet generic brand for citrizine.  It's actually levocitrizine a newer version of citrizine but more expensive too.  It is supposed to have less drowsiness effects than regular citrizine.

I mentioned in my opening post I have used Fenafex. 180 and 60 mg. Doesn't make me drowsy but it doesn't work well for me.

Cetrazin apparently causes drowsiness in 10% of people. Unfortunately I fall into that category. Not a normal sleepiness either...like your half drunk and sleepy, can't do anything much

5 hours ago, ryxyz said:

Zertec is available at major pharmacies. Have you tried Claritin?

Mentioned in my OP I have tried Claritin (loratadine) with less than great results. I bought some what they said was genuine Zyrtec at the pharmacy today....Zyrtec on the box but doesn't look like a packet you would get from Europe / US...Cheap looking thing. Anyway, Will try them over the next few days see if these supposed genuine ones help

On 9/1/2024 at 5:50 PM, Kenny202 said:

Has there been any testing done to determine what causes your allergy? Knowing the causative agent would probably help in prescribing the most effective medication.

On 9/1/2024 at 5:59 PM, Hummin said:

I take Cetrazine before bed time. Gives me great sleep and helps for the allergy. No side effects and wake up well rested early every morning. 

maybe alzheimer in a few years, but you won't remember

• Confused 1

I got some pills from the doc a few years ago that didn't cause the drowsiness of Cetrazine. Can't remember the name, but best to see a doc rather than an untrained pharmacist. I went to Samitivej and the doctors were great

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Has there been any testing done to determine what causes your allergy? Knowing the causative agent would probably help in prescribing the most effective medication.

I've done the prick test twice....about 15 things....my whole arm went into a rash hahaha

4 hours ago, john donson said:

maybe alzheimer in a few years, but you won't remember

I would love to see some science if you have on feksofenadinhydroklorid and cetirizin for negative brain health.