British Man Arrested for Smuggling £1M Cannabis from Thailand

2 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

100kg poorly packaged. The sniffer dogs must have been wagging their tails in excitement miles before the plane landed.

I'm pretty sure they knew when the luggage was scanned inbound as well, I'm sure the guy stationed at the monitor was chuckling.

Edited by lordgrinz
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Nathaniel Benson, a 44-year-old from Leeds, West Yorkshire, was arrested at Heathrow Airport after allegedly attempting to smuggle £1 million (44 million baht) worth of cannabis from Bangkok, Thailand. The arrest occurred on Wednesday, September 18, soon after Benson arrived with his two young children.

He can kiss any holiday plans he had of returning to Thailand anytime soon.

• Haha 2

this is the 2nd one in a week I've read about the other was Jay Emanuel Thomas an ex Arsenal player who played for Rayong over here and now in Scottish lower leagues, absolute idiots but at least it's serving time in the UK. I guess

Reasonably confident that the Thai authorities would have known about this and told the UK authorities. Better to let him leave the country and go home. Less hassle for all involved, except the idiot. 

100kgs of weed would stink regardless of packaging! 

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Dont confuse me said:

I'm surprised it wasn't found when leaving thailand. Unless it was discovered and the Thai's gave the UK a heads up? 

I think that is a safe bet, with cannabis not being illegal here, they probably tipped off their British counterparts.

33 minutes ago, anfh said:

Possibly the dumbest smuggler in the entire world !!!

Which begs the question of how did he finance it?

He's obviously not the sharpest tool in the box, smuggling through major airports, with Cannabis having an unmistakable odor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dont confuse me said:

I'm surprised it wasn't found when leaving thailand. Unless it was discovered and the Thai's gave the UK a heads up? 

Not Thailand's problem as legal here, but likely gave the heads up...

52 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Quick calculation, cannabis in Thailand sells for max 15kbht/kg, so 100kg in Thailand (cost £32k) becomes £1M in the UK.

X30 markup!

The fact is the smuggler would never get anything near that "street price".

2 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

on of how did he finance it?

street value in the UK isn't street value in Thailand, that's roughly 1-2,000 THB a package there from what i've seen sold on FB.

A spliff in the UK is 400 THB

• Sad 1