Are tiled-Thai roofs designed so that they will leak a little, during horizontal rain?

36 minutes ago, FriscoKid said:

Just remove your Trump adult diaper and then wet yourself in bed while you're sleeping. Then you won't even notice the drips.

How uncouth can one get?

Time will tell....

Just keep it up, please...

IF, that is, you actually....can.....

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

The problem is even with tiled roofs they do not always nail every other course and usually they are at a low angle. Strong winds drive the rain under. Also they do not always seal joints in sheet roofing same happens. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Are tiled-Thai roofs designed so that they will leak a little, during horizontal rain? 

Horizontal rain will make all tiled roofs leak in every country, not just Thailand. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

My house has tile roofs also. They are applied to a metal framework without any screws or adhesive of any kind. Thus they are held on to the framework strictly by their own weight.

For my house most of the roof is at a 45 or more degrees slope and that keeps the rain from blowing up under the tiles. However, this pitch of the roof over the kitchen is much lower perhaps only 15°. It did end up leaking frequently when we got heavy rains . I ended up having a roofer come out and replace the roof over the kitchen with a metal framework that he then put metal roofing over. It  has now been 2 years and has never leaked a drop.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most of the comments above are correct, although some may be sarcasm.

1  Tiles are not fixed down, they are held in place by gravity only. 

2  Leakage will then mainly depend on the pitch of the roof, and the angle of the rain. If the pitch is < 45 degrees, and the wind is low, they will leak as RocketDog suggested. 

3  In the OP you referred to if "these roofs were on houses in Taiwan, with the Typhoons, and SUPER TYPHOONS, typical of Taiwan....then....the would be gone...in a...

NEW YORK MINUTE." Probably true, but we tend not to have such strong wnds in Thailand, depending on whereabouts you are. But with much lower wind speeds than Taiwan, don't even think about trying to tie down a large sheet of plastic sheeting as illustrated. That would be doomed to disaster.

4  My roof is a traditional Thai roof, very steep (> 45 degrees) and slightly curved. The individual tiles hang over wooden battens and are held down by gravity. It is steep enough to not leak, and the tiles are heavy enough not to be disturbed by wind. I did have a layer of rockwool fitted under them to minimise heat in the bedrooms, which works.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr B said:

My Ceris roof tiles are held down by a spring. I know the Monier concrete tiles are tied to the batten by an iron wire

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, fceligoj said:

Not if they are installed correctly.

That costs money... so customers makes the choice

cheap and cheerful with leaks

or

more expensive without leaks.

As others have said, a properly installed tile roof should not leak.  My spouse and I have, in the past two years, built two new houses with tile roofs.  No leaks so far.  The builder used curved tiles, rather than flat.  I think most modern houses will have metal frames rather than wood, as our houses have. 

Also, as others have said, the pitch of the roof is important.  Both our houses have steep roof pitches.  We have a neighbor who has a new house similar to ours.  She has no problems with the roof on the main house, which is like ours, but her porch tile roof is at a much more shallow pitch and it leaks.  

An acquaintance living in one of those well known pool villa developpments in Hua Hin had  a defective roof just 2 or 3 years after the brand new villa was delivered. Keep in mind that despite all the swanky finishes in such villas in Thailand, the quality of construction and mainly the lack of checking and inspection of the final work in Thailand,  will never meet the standards of the west.

1 hour ago, Dr B said:

Most of the comments above are correct, although some may be sarcasm.

2  Leakage will then mainly depend on the pitch of the roof, and the angle of the rain. If the pitch is < 45 degrees, and the wind is low, they will leak as RocketDog suggested. 

3  In the OP you referred to if "these roofs were on houses in Taiwan, with the Typhoons, and SUPER TYPHOONS, typical of Taiwan....then....the would be gone...in a...

NEW YORK MINUTE." Probably true, but we tend not to have such strong wnds in Thailand, depending on whereabouts you are. But with much lower wind speeds than Taiwan, don't even think about trying to tie down a large sheet of plastic sheeting as illustrated. That would be doomed to disaster.

4  My roof is a traditional Thai roof, very steep (> 45 degrees) and slightly curved. The individual tiles hang over wooden battens and are held down by gravity. It is steep enough to not leak, and the tiles are heavy enough not to be disturbed by wind. I did have a layer of rockwool fitted under them to minimise heat in the bedrooms, which works.

Therefore, it would seem from your information that it is normal to lead "some" under certain not unusual weather conditions.  And, possibly that this is not preventable.

How much leakage is acceptable, then?

I would say that if the painted ceiling begins to turn color, due to water leakage from the roof, then this might be unacceptable.

However, I am not familiar with the local building standards.

Is it normal to sometimes here water dripping onto the ceiling from a slightly leaking roof?

Or, what can be done about it, if anything.  Do most homeowners just accept this as being normal?