British National Killed in Sattahip Motorcycle Accident

Georgealbert

5 hours ago, Keep Right said:

Another very dead and stupid foreigner for getting on a motorbike in Thailand. I guess these people will never learn that they are a death trap.

For you to say he is stupid is both harsh and unjustified. Had you ever met him? 

If you're claiming he was stupid just due to the fact he was riding a motorbike in Thailand, then I would be interested to know your every habit and action, just to prove that you are in no way stupid at all, ever.

9 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Speed kills.

but why else do people ride these motorbikes?

people buy motorbikes for slow driving to enjoy the scenery? 

powerful motorbikes should be banned altogether.

along with pitbulls.

and alcohol. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

yeah, keep deluding yourselves that you're the cool kids on the block.

there's a motorcycle death reported practically weekly on here. 

Yeah, but what about the signs and the poles?

It reminds me of a common roadside sign I used to see in India many years ago. 

Slow is a four letter word. So is life

Speed is a five letter word. So is death 

By the looks of the photos speed was involved on this occasion. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2024 at 3:41 AM, Georgealbert said:

An eyewitness, Mr. Apiwat, stated that he saw two large motorcycles coming down the road. While the first rider successfully made the U-turn towards Pattaya, the second rider collided head-on with the traffic sign, causing his body to be thrown from the bike.

Stay within your limits... live longer.

21 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

66 is not old  -  if you ride the bike properly.

Well that obviously cannot be guaranteed, and in this case apparently not. I think I was even younger than that by a few years when I was considering a bigger bike, but thought better of it. This was a crotch rocket, not a big heavy tourer, more suited to older guys. 

22 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

66 is not old  -  if you ride the bike properly.

Big bikes ate fine if you ride them sensibly, U turns are a big problem here.

How fast was he going into a u turn to do that much damage.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Keep Right said:

Another very dead and stupid foreigner for getting on a motorbike in Thailand. I guess these people will never learn that they are a death trap.

I don´t know what you are trying to imply. That is would be dangerous for foreigners to ride a motorbike in Thailand? I assume you are not a rider, or maybe not even been trying to ride a bike. The problem, is the unexperienced riders that also think they are the king of the road with a couple of beers inside. But, just an unexperienced rider will be enough. For riders like me, and many other on this forum we do not have any problem riding bikes in Thailand. A little bit same as climbing Mount Everest, without even trying a practice climbing wall ever. It´s mindsets like that, which will get people hurt or worse.

Maybe some 66 year olds on here or younger bad mouthing his age for riding that bike.

Probably they are incompetent and inept in controlling a higher powered bike at that age.

I know several in their 80ś that ride similar bikes the age comments are very stupid.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2024 at 9:20 AM, jacko45k said:

Yes, considering the extent of the damage and that no other vehicle seems to have been involved......perhaps 66 is getting too old for a crotch rocket. 

I don't ride motorbikes but many years ago I visited a mate who was a moto mechanic and he had just finished putting a new motor in a KAWASAKI 900 and he asked me to go for a test run with him. We got going and when the speedo got to 180 klms. an hour i wacked him on the back of his helmet and told him to slow down. Boy, can those things go the acceleration is amazing so you would want to be sober and have your wits about you when you ride those rockets.!!

• Agree 1

For starters - look at the second picture. That is not a u-turn.

That is the overpass that starts at the Boonthavorn shop (heading south towards Sattahip), about 3 kms before you get to the Highway 332 intersection.

I just came back that way last night in fact, going the other way.
(Just after the rain in Pattaya stopped and the flooding went down.)

It appears that the one of the riders probably took the overpass lane and the other rider didn't realize it in time and tried to cut from the "old road" onto the overpass lane while speeding along and misjudged it, hitting the sign that points to the different lanes.

This is the exact same overpass but heading North. Google's image of the North lanes is dated June 2024 but their image of the South lanes (the Boonthavorn side of the overpass where the accident happened) is dated Oct 2023 when construction was still ongoing.

Both ends of the overpass are virtually identical though.
Untitled.jpg.3d8f238b0f202629ff78888263fd4e22.jpg

u2.jpg.2f2820caf27391f348631214dc0adc51.jpg

Maybe they call it a "u-turn" as there is a u-turn under the middle of the overpass.

18 hours ago, Keep Right said:

Keep left or you will end up the same as the unfortunate motorcycle rider.

I had 40 years collision free riding in the UK, came to Thailand and knocked off my bike three times in seven months, twice whilst stationary, then by an unlicensed female who drove down my side of the road, dragged me twenty metres, breaking my wrist. She said she mistook the accelerator for the brake.

This convinced me that my life was too valuable for motorcycling here and my bike is reserved for very occasional short shopping trips.

The combination of dangerous road design and maintenance, ignorant and aggressive local drivers, and complete disregard for the law due to different culture and lack of enforcement means I am reluctant to take the risk on two wheels. The rate of deaths backs me up.

On 10/6/2024 at 7:00 AM, Henryford said:

Fractured skull, obviously not wearing a helmet., riding a powerful bike !!

There was another photo of an Arai helmet nearby the scene