Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

I really like Thai food.  The culture is not that huge of an adjustment if one has had to adjust to different experiences in life.

As far as Thai people, of all the people who are here from other countries I would rather be around Thais then many of them.

Companionship and affordability are huge.  Actually, I do not think the weather or air here are that great several western countries are much better in that area.

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:
46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thailand isn't perfect and there are aspects of Thailand that I do not like

And don’t you like to tell everyone about it.

Indeed..  the biggest intolerance I have here is drink drivers and trollish twerps !!!!.... 

• Thanks 1

I live in luxury in Siem Reap Cambodia with an entire nation of folks wanting to serve me and world class ancient temples 1.7 miles away and I get to go to Thailand anytime I want. So my life is great. I love Thai people, I love Cambodian people and the weed is cheap and plentiful.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed..  the biggest intolerance I have here is drink drivers and trollish twerps !!!!.... 

Come on Dicky, you know you love to write in to this forum with all your gripes.

It is a hobby for you.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Why do you mix with theses types - you obviously must, to know them so well, even to the point of knowing that they think Thais are plotting against them.

No I avoid them.

i know them so well from reading this forum.

I have had enough of them and so does Charlie by the sounds of it.

Clever man than Charlie.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Not sure I'd like to hear what all the Thais are saying. The culture and religion can be lovely from the outside - but a bit illogical and often oriented towards things like dreams of money and success - which is fair enough but not inspiring. It's nice to be a bit separate while hanging out in the areas I am which are tourist areas. Girlfriend speaks english when she's here. If I lived rurally or spent more time here I may need to make an effort. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, thesetat2013 said:

What a load of drivel.... You are far from understanding what it is you have said in your reply. All you are doing is foreigner bashing. 

Awww, you tender snowflake. Need a tissue?

• Haha 2

The worst I ever met was a man who boasted about visiting Thailand for the first time in 1969, and who had been married to a Thai while living in Thailand for 16 years. 

This guy did not know the Thai word for toilet. 

My mutual friend told me that his Thai family treat him as if he was intellectually disabled. Truthfully, he deserves it. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

I was in Thailand for the Islands, beaches, seasonal climates, and affordable prices while I was climbing, kayaking, diving, and meeting people back when the Nok was strong compared to Thai baht. It used to be a nice destination where I could take a time out from work and travel. I think most know the paradise it used to be long gone by now, but I found a girl at my supposedly last trip to Thailand. 

I tried to live here now for 8 years, but the last april heat together with the smoke and the possibility of being taxed for my living cost killed my spirit staying here completely, and I moved back.

I was quite positive until one day, I just had enough, and at that point the walls just fell in from every side. 

The beaches is not what they used to be, to much tourists on those places that used to be very chill, welcoming and nice with great local food without sugar often served in banana leaves just as an example of how things have changed. Internet have found its way all over thailand, there is no escapes anymore. Well so many things I could say, but I was here for the nice climate, quiet beaches clean food, clean air, and friendly people, those times is gone. At least my own illusion of how it used to be, is gone. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, theblether said:

Far too many "expats" in Thailand are effectively adult special needs children. 

They rely upon their "wives" who are effectively care workers to wheel them through life, holding their hands like the old blue bus brigade we used to see going to special schools back in the UK. 

Ha ha,I kind of agree and disagree at the same time...yes many need hand holding..but don't really see a problem with that, they are trying to intergrate in an alien environment via "proxy wife"..the language barrier can be huge..dealing with Thai bureaucracy is a challenge for everyone,should they try harder to navigate the intricacies themselves  ? probably.

Do I blame them for not wanting to and delegating to someone else...mostly no.

• Agree 2