Do you drink drive?

MalcolmB

Do you drink drive?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It seems to me that most people I know drink drive to some extent. Bars are full of people and nobody is ordering taxis. 

After having a couple I always follow all the road rules and drive slowly, which is probably a lot safer than getting in a speeding taxi with a driver who ignores the road rules and is on his phone.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I think most of us know if we had a few drinks, are medium drunk, or are totally drunk.

If I had a few drinks, let's say maybe 3 glasses of wine for lunch, I will drive the 2km back home.

A long time ago I also drove when I was medium drunk. Like, I knew I was not able to drive on full capacity, but I still could handle low traffic low risks streets. In those cases, I made sure I don't drive fast, and I didn't take any risks.

I never drove totally drunk. That is certainly a bad idea.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

It seems to me that most people I know drink drive to some extent.

It depends who you know. Alcohol can affect people differently based on several factors, including their age, metabolism, body weight, gender, and other individual differences. The legal limit for blood alcohol concentration is based on a general estimate of the level at which alcohol impairs most people's ability to drive safely.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Didn't leave many options in the poll.   In the past yes.  Actually now, rare that I sip at all, let alone out of the house, or even more than one.  So technically, still drink & drive, 

When I was a weekend or monthly warrior, here in Thailand, I'd simply get a hotel, when living in Udon Thani, as most of my sipping days were there.

Local forum even had monthly meet ups, and a pub crawl/drive at times, and I'd hire a private tuk tuk driver to 'limo' my butt to each bar :cheesy:  When single, then later the GF/wife would simply drive, if we didn't get a hotel.   Hotel was the usual route, until later, when the meeting weren't 'alcohol fueled'.  After a few, just give the GF/wife the keys.

Days past in USA, can't say I was as responsible, and thankfully never had an oops or hurt anyone.  One reason I liked happy hours in Philly, as took the train to/from, living walking distance to the train in suburbia.  Couldn't get any more convenient than that.

40 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

It seems to me that most people I know drink drive to some extent. Bars are full of people and nobody is ordering taxis. 

After having a couple I always follow all the road rules and drive slowly, which is probably a lot safer than getting in a speeding taxi with a driver who ignores the road rules and is on his phone.

Following all of the road rules also means not driving while under the influence.

Did you start this topic to look for sympathy or support?

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, G Rex said:

When you wake up in the morning, feeling as low as shark sh*t - you look outside and see your car in the driveway, but you don't remember coming home....

Does that count?? 

Yes.

worse still when your car isn’t there and you can’t remember where you left it. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Just to see if it is as common as I think it is amongst expats.

Thousands do it everyday but the amount of incidents is very low.

It might be something to do with we are generally a bit older.

Young drivers, drunk with friends in the car tend to show off which leads to accidents caused by drink driving.

Most of us older drivers just want to get home safely and are capable of driving safely after having a few, don’t act recklessly.

Some of my best speed camera pics are from when Iam on the cans.

• Thumbs Up 1

For those here who would never ever do that: Are you really (at least a little) drunk after a few drinks?

Personally, I feel any mild symptoms maybe starting after the 5th drink or so.

Obviously, if I had 2 or 3 drinks, I remember that I had those drinks. But listening to my body I don't think I feel any alcohol symptoms. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

The correct answer is of course that one should not drive at all under the influence of alcohol.Interesting that not one of the responses in this thread acknowledges this fact.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, jayboy said:

The correct answer is of course that one should not drive at all under the influence of alcohol.Interesting that not one of the responses in this thread acknowledges this fact.

You could take it one step further and say nobody should drink at all because it is not good for optimal health.

But we are here for a good time, not a long time. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Then you have not read all of the responses.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Not enough options. I used to drink drive after 3 x 330ml bottles max. Then, after 3 Farang being killed and 1 crippled where I live in a short space of time, all had been drinking and none wearing a helmet, I saw the light and stopped. 90 odd baht into town in a Grab or Bolt! It's a no brainer!

Edited by bluemoon58
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

You could take it one step further and say nobody should drink at all because it is not good for optimal health.

But we are here for a good time, not a long time. 

How would that make sense? Drinking is a matter of personal choice and the damage it does is restricted to the individual, not the case with drinking/driving.

Those who maintain they are in full possession of their senses after a few drinks (say 2-3) are simply wrong.They may feel that way but the science is clear.

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

farang whose had a drink (not totally blotto) will be better and safer than any typical Thai driver from my observations.

You should be thoroughly ashamed of that comment.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Bars are full of people and nobody is ordering taxis. 

Probably the vast majority of taxis are hailed on the street, nor ordered, but, regardless, how do you know "no one is ordering taxis" or that no one can get home without using a taxi?

4 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

a lot safer than getting in a speeding taxi with a driver who ignores the road rules and is on his phone.

You, fatuously, seem to claim that every taxi driver drives at excessive speed and constantly uses their hand-held phones.   

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Probably the vast majority of taxis are hailed on the street, nor ordered, but, regardless, how do you know "no one is ordering taxis" or that no one can get home without using a taxi?

Hi Lou, and thanks for your question.

i know because I actually speak to people in the bars, and they are not ordering taxis. They have their cars. Unless they are tourists.

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

You, fatuously, seem to claim that every taxi driver drives at excessive speed and constantly uses their hand-held phones.   

Or have the back of the cab filled with fluffy toys which means they can not see out the back.

I got popped in Solvey New York once on the way home from the bar. I had stopped at a light and passed out. The arrest record read that when the officer asked me if I knew why I was being stopped, my answer was: Drunk Driving? And when he asked me to walk a straight line, I told him that if I could walk, I wouldn't be driving. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bluemoon58 said:

Not enough options. I used to drink drive after 3 x 330ml bottles max. Then, after 3 Farang being killed and 1 crippled where I live in a short space of time, all had been drinking and none wearing a helmet, I saw the light and stopped. 90 odd baht into town in a Grab or Bolt! It's a no brainer!

I think drink riding is another thing altogether and refuse to do it. 
It isn’t safe in my opinion.

• Confused 1