Kawasaki Ninja Zx6r Coming To Thailand This Year?!

BigBikeBKK

Does anyone have an educated guess about what it will mean when the bike is homologated? I understand it will be restricted, but how much? Impossible to know, but do you know of other comparable examples? Are we talking about 10% down in HP or what?

Are other bikes like the ZX10R and Daytona 675 also homologated for selling in Thailand or is there something special about ZX6R?

compare California spec to other US spec. Sometimes no difference in power, sometimes a few %. Its not really restricted, there is usually another ECU program, EGR valve and cat to make it run cleaner emmision. Restricted is more like reducing hp to adapt to local hp limit laws or insurance requiremnts.

ZX10R, yes, unfortunetely also restricted on hp since the thai sold units (so far) are sourced from Kwaker Malaysia where there is a hp limit. Check with member "Dunder".

Everything sold officially by Kwaker Thailand is homoleg. Makes it easy to sell from many dealers, cause all they have to do is to pass on the paperwork to local Land Transport Office. Also makes it hasslefree to own, since its readable in the reg book this is an officially central government approved bike.

Triumph I have asked owners to post their reg book to see how its been registered, but so far no reply

I wasn't aware that the ZX10's were from Kawasaki Malaysia. Does anyone know if the ZX6R will come from Malaysia as well?

I'm assuming the hp limit on bikes is fixed irrespective of cc? In which case it shouldn't affect the ZX6R as the limit would presumably be higher than the 115 (approx) bhp that the 600 produces?

I think its an emmisions limit not a hp limit..

Would seem that way as I doubt the 250cc KLX's are pushing any hp limits but they are definitely restricted.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So then what is it a matter of with the ZX600cc and ZX1000cc? Emissions? HP Resitriction? Or both?

So the the ZX10 has emissions control that restricts HP, but also a HP restriction as well?

And the ZX6R? Just emission control that limits HP, but no true HP restriction because it doesn't hit 120?

I keep thinking new bikes are the way to go, because of problems on second hand bikes, but even with a couple things here and there, this 01 GSXR 750 i picked up for 160,000k with book, Canada Spec, puts out its full 140HP...

So after 650k plus an extra 50k for the ecu, throttle and exhaust, one could get the full hp out of a zx10.... 700,000k. A new gsxr750 for 700,000 pumps out almost as much power. Hmm. And you keep the warranty.

Have you got a link to current Suzuki big bike prices here in Thailand? The most recent I have are the prices they handed out at the Bangkok Motor Show back in April. I wonder if they are accurate and can't find any prices on the Suzuki Thailand site- http://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/thai/bigbike_detail.php?id=2

Cheers!

Tony

Nothing wrong with Suzuki prices, Kawasaki offers a Ninja ZX10R, which is a pretty fast bike... for 810,000 Baht. Suzuki Thailand offers the King of sportbike's the Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R for 830,000 Baht. And this is including all things paid on the road including 1st class insurance .... Not trust me... check the website of Thai tennis star Paradorn Srichaphan... he bought one...

And remember the Suzuki Hayabusa is just the first bike to be available in Thailand... By-the-way is the standard price of the Kawasaki price list including 1st class insurance and how much does the Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R actual costs out on the road with all things paid???

Edited by Richard-BKK

Nothing wrong with Suzuki prices, Kawasaki offers a Ninja ZX10R, which is a pretty fast bike... for 810,000 Baht. Suzuki Thailand offers the King of sportbike's the Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R for 830,000 Baht. And this is including all things paid on the road including 1st class insurance .... Not trust me... check the website of Thai tennis star Paradorn Srichaphan... he bought one...

And remember the Suzuki Hayabusa is just the first bike to be available in Thailand... By-the-way is the standard price of the Kawasaki price list including 1st class insurance and how much does the Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R actual costs out on the road with all things paid???

Well the zx10r is essentially an import, not like the 250R, and when the Zx6r arrives it is expected to not be an import and not require import tax. If that holds we should see prices around 350K to 400K on the road.

I hope your not holding your breath for a price of 350k to 400k......me thinks its gonna be higher than that.

Well the zx10r is essentially an import, not like the 250R, and when the Zx6r arrives it is expected to not be an import and not require import tax. If that holds we should see prices around 350K to 400K on the road.

I hope your not holding your breath for a price of 350k to 400k......me thinks its gonna be higher than that.

zx10r is "sourced" from Malaysia, thats Asean no import duty as of January 2010, just 35% excice tax pluss VAT. If kwaker can do the same with Zx6r price should be less than 450k. From January 2010 taxes are the same in LOS for Asean made bikes as Thai made bikes. Unfortunately Japan is not in Asean.

zx10r is "sourced" from Malaysia, thats Asean no import duty as of January 2010, just 35% excice tax pluss VAT. If kwaker can do the same with Zx6r price should be less than 450k. From January 2010 taxes are the same in LOS for Asean made bikes as Thai made bikes. Unfortunately Japan is not in Asean.

Well that ASEAN deal is (good) news to me. Hopefully that's the reason for the delayed release, to wait for Jan 2010 and import without the tax. Between 420-450k would be a steal IMO, not far off UK prices with lower depreciation, cheaper fuel, cheaper insurance and cheaper servicing costs (not to mention the lower speeding "fines" :) ).

I really hope you're right :D

I'm guessing the ZX6r will come in at about 550k Baht.

Anyone care to place a bet? (Just kidding- I'm sure that's verboten on ThaiVisa) :D:D:)

I'd like a bet 'odds on' that if the zx6r comes in as cheap as those hopeful posters are stating it that TONY'S GONNA GET ANOTHER NEW BIKE!

Sure thing, cant lose that bet :D

Anyone care to place a bet? (Just kidding- I'm sure that's verboten on ThaiVisa) :D:D:)

Yeah 520 - 580 is my ball park too..

Close enough to the street triple to want that IMO. That goes double if they play any funny games with the emissions restrictions.

The Daytona not tempt you Tony ??

Close enough to the street triple to want that IMO. That goes double if they play any funny games with the emissions restrictions.

Depends if its Japanese or Asean sourced. I m not into the face down racebikes, but why would anyone by ZX6r at 580k when ZX10r is 650k? oh here it comes...........

Absolutely love the Daytona 675, but with a price tag of something like ~675k Baht I really want to wait and see what the ZX6R will go for. (And when you get down to it, I think the ZX6R is the stronger of the two.) Finally, nice to have access to a nationwide network of Kawasaki dealers in Thailand versus Triumph which I believe only has dealers in BKK and CNX. (Phuket too?)

Ride On!

Tony

Pardon my ignorance, but the ZX10R is definitely MADE IN JAPAN, as is the ZX6R. Are you saying that if a MADE IN JAPAN product travels first to Malaysia that it will somehow be re-classified as an ASEAN product? That doesn't sound quite right to me...

Pardon my ignorance, but the ZX10R is definitely MADE IN JAPAN, as is the ZX6R. Are you saying that if a MADE IN JAPAN product travels first to Malaysia that it will somehow be re-classified as an ASEAN product? That doesn't sound quite right to me...

Dont know, but the ZX10r seems keenly priced, and according to kwaker LOS its "sourced" from Malaysia. Why would kwaker LOS get the bikes from Malaysia? emission/ECU must be custommade for LOS anyway. Most vehicles sold in malaysia are assembled in Malaysia. Perhaps made in japan, disasmbled, and assembled in malaysia. Dont know. Could this be a reason?

Dont know, but the ZX10r seems keenly priced, and according to kwaker LOS its "sourced" from Malaysia. Why would kwaker LOS get the bikes from Malaysia? emission/ECU must be custommade for LOS anyway. Most vehicles sold in malaysia are assembled in Malaysia. Perhaps made in japan, disasmbled, and assembled in malaysia. Dont know. Could this be a reason?

My understanding, and I could certainly be wrong since it's based on conversations with Kawasaki Thailand sales staff who didn't even know they were selling a restricted ZX10R, is that the ZX10R being sold in Thailand is essentially a Malaysian spec version but with a Thai-specific ECU.

In other words, I believe Kawasaki decided it would be easier (less expensive) to take the already restricted Malaysian ZX10R and make minor modification to the ECU to make it pass Thai emissions rather than import FULL POWER ZX10R's directly to Thailand and then have the additional expense of restricting them... After all, how many ZX10R's can Kawasaki they really expect to sell in Thailand? 20-30/year perhaps? Would be a lot of hassle to set up a production line in Japan for such a limited number of bikes. That's my take on it, but of course I could be completely wrong :) Happy Trails! Tony

My understanding, and I could certainly be wrong since it's based on conversations with Kawasaki Thailand sales staff who didn't even know they were selling a restricted ZX10R, is that the ZX10R being sold in Thailand is essentially a Malaysian spec version but with a Thai-specific ECU.

In other words, I believe Kawasaki decided it would be easier (less expensive) to take the already restricted Malaysian ZX10R and make minor modification to the ECU to make it pass Thai emissions rather than import FULL POWER ZX10R's directly to Thailand and then have the additional expense of restricting them... After all, how many ZX10R's can Kawasaki they really expect to sell in Thailand? 20-30/year perhaps? Would be a lot of hassle to set up a production line in Japan for such a limited number of bikes. That's my take on it, but of course I could be completely wrong :) Happy Trails! Tony

me too could be wrong. But to pass LOS emision, California spec would be more easy, no mods needed. Is this build in the US or Japan?

Ninja 250R MSRP USD 4500 = THB 150,000 (same price in Thailand and US)

Ninja 650R MSRP USD 7100 = THB 236,000 (a bit more expensive in Thailand at 257,000, but with ABS in Thailand, no ABS in US)

Ninja ZX10R MSRP USD 13,000 = THB 430,000 (650,000 actually, which is about 50% more than it should be)

So this is my ballpark:

Ninja ZX6R MSRP USD 10,500 = THB 350,000 (yep, tree-fiddy if we're lucky, but 525,000 if there is the same lame 50% extra, 472,500 if it's 35% extra)

Dream come true: Kawasaki start producing ZX6Rs in Thailand like the news story earlier this year hinted... pleasepleaseplease

Dream come true: Kawasaki start producing ZX6Rs in Thailand like the news story earlier this year hinted... pleasepleaseplease

Dream on! :D

hmm, kawa thai has to start working. They have promised BOI a certain thai production level within a time frame, and their not close yet. So shift more models here, please. We promise to buy them :D

I want the 1000cc which I cant recall the name on beacause I m to old or to drunk. Time to eat I guess :)

Dream on! :D

hmm, kawa thai has to start working. They have promised BOI a certain thai production level within a time frame, and their not close yet. So shift more models here, please. We promise to buy them :D

I want the 1000cc which I cant recall the name on beacause I m to old or to drunk. Time to eat I guess :)

Iwant it too. I'm going to get it next.

I was at Kawasaki Rama 9 today and asked about the ZX6R. He smiled and said maybe next year, when I asked him how many months he said he didn't know. Same story when I asked an approximate price. I didn't bother asking whether/how it was going to be restricted as it was obviously going to be the same answer. Quite disappointing...