UPDATED Current Flooded Areas & Forecasts

Watched a show on the TAN network, it covered the Samui floods. One of the interesting comments was, that Chaweng was built in a natural water catchment basin.

That's true but they do not mean the seaside properties, everything West of the beach road used to be a huge swamp and watershed area. But they filled it all in and sold the plots didn't they ? :realangry:

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watched a show on the TAN network, it covered the Samui floods. One of the interesting comments was, that Chaweng was built in a natural water catchment basin.

That's true but they do not mean the seaside properties, everything West of the beach road used to be a huge swamp and watershed area. But they filled it all in and sold the plots didn't they ? :realangry:

Well, it's very much right so,specially regarding the southern part of Laem Din Area and the "Haad Ngam" Area (middle or monkey Road, starting at the chin.Temple).

But 20 years of "lightning development", a "Klondyke" type Situation, property boom and money, money, money - loads of it, has been made but who is to blame?

Than most time of the year, approx. 11 months, over 90% of the time, everything is fine!

I can't see any real problem here, it is as is, let's not fall into the blame game! (If I only think about some property development like Conrad's...)

As time and things can't be reversed it's time to search and find solutions.

I big help would probably be a second outlet for the reservoir, as it seems, it is at least partly, very shallow (1-1.50 mtr. max.), I figure underneath the Tesco-Talaad Pang Bua- Beach Road-Connection and and outlet where the Soi leads to OP Bungalows, same way it was done for the new Laem Din Road, dredging for more depth and catchment volume.

But this needs some serious commitment, money and an construction company which knows what they are doing as the traffic can't be interrupted on this particular street.

Just some creative thoughts about the now rather often occuring sitution instead of pointing fingers....

Edited by Samuian

Can someone tell me what time the rain starts tomorrow...i've got things to do and don't want to get wet. Cheers. :)

Rain will start at 07:21 AM tomorrow rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the heads up. What time will it stop? Also, by any chance, do you know what time Tesco's opens because i have a fairly big shop to get done by then?

Found out this morning that the road that leads to Baan Taling Ngam from the Elephant Gate is closed. It looks like they have done some repairs and put in new concrete (a 10 meter section is covered with plastic) so that road will probably be closed for several more days (except for motorbikes ignoring the barriers once the men waving you off leave). The several ways to get there that don't involve going through the Elephant Gate are still open.

Can someone tell me what time the rain starts tomorrow...i've got things to do and don't want to get wet. Cheers. :)

Thanks for the heads up. What time will it stop? Also, by any chance, do you know what time Tesco's opens because i have a fairly big shop to get done by then?

Tesco won't open until five past seven. The boss will be forgetting where he put the keys. :)

It will stop at 10:37 AM but then start again at 11:12 AM. To be confirmed smile.gif

It will stop at 10:37 AM but then start again at 11:12 AM. To be confirmed smile.gif

Atlast, some accurate reliable information on here. respect. :jap:

Well, it's very much right so,specially regarding the southern part of Laem Din Area and the "Haad Ngam" Area (middle or monkey Road, starting at the chin.Temple).

But 20 years of "lightning development", a "Klondyke" type Situation, property boom and money, money, money - loads of it, has been made but who is to blame?

Than most time of the year, approx. 11 months, over 90% of the time, everything is fine!

I can't see any real problem here, it is as is, let's not fall into the blame game! (If I only think about some property development like Conrad's...)

As time and things can't be reversed it's time to search and find solutions.

I big help would probably be a second outlet for the reservoir, as it seems, it is at least partly, very shallow (1-1.50 mtr. max.), I figure underneath the Tesco-Talaad Pang Bua- Beach Road-Connection and and outlet where the Soi leads to OP Bungalows, same way it was done for the new Laem Din Road, dredging for more depth and catchment volume.

But this needs some serious commitment, money and an construction company which knows what they are doing as the traffic can't be interrupted on this particular street.

Just some creative thoughts about the now rather often occuring sitution instead of pointing fingers....

As a mater of fact Samuian, the Mayor was interviewed. Didn't catch all of it, but he was talking about drainage & permanent catchment tanks.

I just passed the road at Ice Bar 20 minutes ago and for the first time in 6 years my Honda Phantom stopped caused by high water. I had to push it 100 meters and wait for 10 minutes.. I was very happy when it started again and brought me safely home. To all of you out there, take it easy and be careful, there is no one to loose.

This is a suggestion, that it would be a good idea to check your engine oil, for anyone who has been through high water on their bikes ( & perhaps vehicles too) If the oil has turned whitish colour, which means there is water in the oil & should be changed ASAP This happened to me a couple of years ago & it was a fairly expensive fix.... to take the engine apart & repair.... :angry:

Then avoid the deep water........:lol:Pretty much impossible on some of the side roads still..... some of the sand roads can suddenly turn in to a quagmire of muck & new ruts.....

My drinking water delivery guys told me yesterday, there are many side road areas they cannot access.

I just passed the road at Ice Bar 20 minutes ago and for the first time in 6 years my Honda Phantom stopped caused by high water. I had to push it 100 meters and wait for 10 minutes.. I was very happy when it started again and brought me safely home. To all of you out there, take it easy and be careful, there is no one to loose.

This is a suggestion, that it would be a good idea to check your engine oil, for anyone who has been through high water on their bikes ( & perhaps vehicles too) If the oil has turned whitish colour, which means there is water in the oil & should be changed ASAP This happened to me a couple of years ago & it was a fairly expensive fix.... to take the engine apart & repair.... :angry:

Then avoid the deep water........:lol:Pretty much impossible on some of the side roads still..... some of the sand roads can suddenly turn in to a quagmire of muck & new ruts.....

My drinking water delivery guys told me yesterday, there are many side road areas they cannot access.

Thank you for good advice. I did changed the oil the next day.

Leam Din Market Area flooded, so Reaggae Pub Road and link to Lake Road for the first 50-100 Meters... water receding slow...

yes dalad daow and lamdin have been very badly hit. Was interested about lamui yesterday. I have no clue as to how bad it was till i got there. don't know about today.

Last night was light drsil. where i live. The problem is with heavy loads of rain. right off to work. good morning :jap:

:( Been raining an hour and already Chaweng Beach road flooded and rising fast. Forecast to last until late tonight with the Nepalese tailors frantically destocking their stores again. On the plus side, blissful silence with the Boom Boom trucks staying home !

Here we go again! :angry:

After a nice sunny start, it started raining at about 11 am in Maenam area & back to lake front again in front of my house.... now down to a drizzle & because of the ruts from the last deluge, it is going down faster.... but heading down hill to Maenam..... I'm sure that is not going to be good in the lower areas....

Looks like more heavy rain coming, judging by the clouds......

Sure glad I got my grass cut yesterday!

Dao seafood market is knee deep in water again.

In fact, the area here is so soaked in water that even the smallest rain will usually overflow the nearby lakes into the road flooding it fast.

But the water do recede somewhat fast. I think it's because of installed pumps.

I have just completed the usual "Plai Laem to Makro and back" run.

After a night of rain up here - the roads via Plai Laem, Ban Rak, ghost road and on to Makro - are all ok. usual water on the ghost road at BDL and the village at the crossroads with the Bandon road.

Returned via Big C and Bophut - no problems.

Of course the road from Big Buddha to Choengmon is closed already at the BB 7/11 end.

Happy motoring B)

Yesterdays sun was a good chance to get things hung out to dry out .....

A tip that I will pass on, is to use White Vinegar, and spray things down (clothing cushions, curtains etc anywhere where mold appears ).... This helps prevent the moldy & musky smells....which are starting to get pretty bad!:angry: Let fans dry out.... or if the sun reappears then hang out.... & hope to catch before the next rain! Put a jar of vinegar in the closets too, it seems to help as well.

All the large food stores have vinegar in 3 litre containers for about 62 baht. You need a spray bottle....too!

Many people scoff at me when I suggest this, but it does help.... the smell of vinegar does not last long......

Have to say I thought water levels would be high this morning, after being awakened with some heavy down pours over night.... but not too bad....

I have just completed the usual "Plai Laem to Makro and back" run.

After a night of rain up here - the roads via Plai Laem, Ban Rak, ghost road and on to Makro - are all ok. usual water on the ghost road at BDL and the village at the crossroads with the Bandon road.

Returned via Big C and Bophut - no problems.

Of course the road from Big Buddha to Choengmon is closed already at the BB 7/11 end.

Happy motoring B)

Big Buddha to Choengmon open as at 10.30 am!!!

A tip that I will pass on, is to use White Vinegar, and spray things down (clothing cushions, curtains etc anywhere where mold appears ).... This helps prevent the moldy & musky smells....which are starting to get pretty bad!:angry: Let fans dry out.... or if the sun reappears then hang out.... & hope to catch before the next rain! Put a jar of vinegar in the closets too, it seems to help as well.

All the large food stores have vinegar in 3 litre containers for about 62 baht. You need a spray bottle....too!

Many people scoff at me when I suggest this, but it does help.... the smell of vinegar does not last long......

Have to say I thought water levels would be high this morning, after being awakened with some heavy down pours over night.... but not too bad....

Thanks for that. Another aid to stop clothes in closets from going moldy is to put a lamp on in the closet. If your closet has an automatic light - leave the door open. If not, and extension lead and a 40w bulb will do the trick

Thanks for that. Another aid to stop clothes in closets from going moldy is to put a lamp on in the closet. If your closet has an automatic light - leave the door open. If not, and extension lead and a 40w bulb will do the trick

:blink: Ahhh I see and just like a refrigerator, you have to drill a hole in the door to see if the light has gone out and ensure you have closed the door properly ?