Miserable farangs.........

SimonF

May I point out that during my longish life I have been aware that different nationalities have a totally different ''take'' on humour, really hard to get a smile. Not being derogatory, just my take on stuff that could be deemed as miserable. smile.png

Very true! Also its difficult at times to see the sentiment or intention of a post, with no facial expression, no tone, just words on a page that may have been written by someone whos first language isnt english, there is no way of really knowing and therefore easy to mistake or misinterpret what was intended.

Was it what was said or how you interpreted it ? ?......who knows, the reaction to a reply is often is the only

clue.

They say 90% of communication is non verbal !

How true..........Sometimes I write stuff which I am sure has been taken the wrong way. Recently a guy posted I was a wife beater blink.png , how he came to that conclusion really did baffle me as my wife beats me.............laugh.png

And others try to beat you when you sing ! ?........apparently..!

We've just beaten the Australians in Dubai, so I'm chortling with gleeful contentment, I am. And hopefully there'll be curling on the TV tonight. I don't see what there is to be miserable about...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We don't post in a Nationwide forum back in our home countries, so we really have little basis for comparison, are Westerners in Thailand more miserable than they would be back home? or, as a percentage of foreigners in Thailand are more of us miserable?? I would suggest not.

That said: When taking an average slice of the expat population there may be a greater proportion of older guys.

As we all know, as we get older some of us become less tolerant and more set in our ways, yes - many will be happy go lucky exceptions to this generalisation, however, the older many people get the grumpier they get - I believe this is a universal generalisation.

This 'misserableness' is often evidenced by the lack of balance in many opinions and topics discussed in ThaiVisa.com. In addition to this people have far greater freedom to express their frustrations in anonymity.... this I suspect leads people to post more negative comments, in reality most negative posters would probably come across as being a lot more reasonable in person. Additionally, people can twist, distort and take other peoples comments out of context to suit their own agenda, these people are simply looking for the negative in everything they see, they'd be negative wherever they are.

• Like 1

Because they were miserable when they arrived,you can not run away from emotional problems.

You must clean up a mess not sweep it from one corner to another.

Those that did clean their slate will enjoy Thailand.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Naw.  I came to Thailand because I don't like Christmas.  Solved.  I came to Thailand because I didn't like my ex wives hitting me up for money.  Solved.  I came to Thailand because my GF's father wanted to kill me.  Solved.  And a couple of more like that but you get the drift.  I came to Thailand because I like New Years, Thailand has three New Years. 

I personally think the people who don't like Thailand don't live in Thailand.  They come on here and fake it to try and make the people who do live here feel bad and leave.  Misery loves company.Posted Image

Good point only it makes no sense,why would people who don't live in or like Thailand care what people in Thailand do.

I was referring to people who were miserable at home and arrived in Thailand miserable,you then gave a detailed account of your history like I was referring to you.

Because they were miserable when they arrived,you can not run away from emotional problems.

Naw. I came to Thailand because I don't like Christmas. Solved. I came to Thailand because I didn't like my ex wives hitting me up for money. Solved. I came to Thailand because my GF's father wanted to kill me. Solved. And a couple of more like that but you get the drift. I came to Thailand because I like New Years, Thailand has three New Years.

I personally think the people who don't like Thailand don't live in Thailand. They come on here and fake it to try and make the people who do live here feel bad and leave. Misery loves company.biggrin.png

Good point only it makes no sense,why would people who don't live in or like Thailand care what people in Thailand do.

I was referring to people who were miserable at home and arrived in Thailand miserable,you then gave a detailed account of your history like I was referring to you.

I think most of them are Thai Ultra-right-wing Thai Nationalists trying to make farangs miserable, in a hope of persuading them to leave.

Naw. I came to Thailand because I don't like Christmas. Solved. I came to Thailand because I didn't like my ex wives hitting me up for money. Solved. I came to Thailand because my GF's father wanted to kill me. Solved. And a couple of more like that but you get the drift. I came to Thailand because I like New Years, Thailand has three New Years.

I personally think the people who don't like Thailand don't live in Thailand. They come on here and fake it to try and make the people who do live here feel bad and leave. Misery loves company.biggrin.png

I was miserable at home because of Christmas, ex wives, GF's father. I came to Thailand and all those things went away and I was happy. I think it is called a geographic cure. Plus I had the added advantage of two more new years eves.

So, I was miserable at home and happy when I came to Thailand.biggrin.png

• Like 1

I've been here three months and I'm still happy as a bug in a rug and I'll cry all over you if you have the temerity to suggest otherwise! (Still working on being less sarcastic, however).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We don't post in a Nationwide forum back in our home countries, so we really have little basis for comparison, are Westerners in Thailand more miserable than they would be back home? or, as a percentage of foreigners in Thailand are more of us miserable?? I would suggest not.

That said: When taking an average slice of the expat population there may be a greater proportion of older guys.

As we all know, as we get older some of us become less tolerant and more set in our ways, yes - many will be happy go lucky exceptions to this generalisation, however, the older many people get the grumpier they get - I believe this is a universal generalisation.

This 'misserableness' is often evidenced by the lack of balance in many opinions and topics discussed in ThaiVisa.com. In addition to this people have far greater freedom to express their frustrations in anonymity.... this I suspect leads people to post more negative comments, in reality most negative posters would probably come across as being a lot more reasonable in person. Additionally, people can twist, distort and take other peoples comments out of context to suit their own agenda, these people are simply looking for the negative in everything they see, they'd be negative wherever they are.

Thus...the Topic previous...."Grumpy Old Men"....

Thus...the Topic previous...."Grumpy Old Men"....
Next thing you'll be saying the Steve McCormack comment should've been in the existing Rugby League World Cup thread. The fact is that some guys are naturally upbeat, like Steve gemmell in Dubai today, some people are naturally dour and serious, and some have a naturally sanguinely sardonic view on life.

It should be a thing of great joy to the OP that his greatest worry is the misery of others, though he seems loathe to take up arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them.

To be fair, I've never tried to cheer up a miserable old git (bar myself) though I know some ladies who do their best

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

I met a midget from Poland and a paraplegic from the USA who both said they were miserable till they found Thailand, They were miserable at home but happy in Thailand. They were not happy at home for a variety of reasons but none of those reasons transferred to Thailand.

Well, I believe it is because many moved here to escape a miserable life back home, without realizing that happiness is a state of mind - and nothing to do with other people or where you live in the world...

• Like 1

Well, I believe it is because many moved here to escape a miserable life back home, without realizing that happiness is a state of mind - and nothing to do with other people or where you live in the world...

Sometimes the people I'm with or the places that I am make me happy.

True, but you still have to have a positive mindset to enjoy your surroundings or other people - and for the other people to enjoy being with you.

True, but you still have to have a positive mindset to enjoy your surroundings or other people - and for the other people to enjoy being with you.

You only say that to abrogate responsibility for cheering up the miserable old geezers. I'm as miserable Ithough not as old) an old fucnker as you could hope to meet, though sometimes fate, fortune, companions and circiumstance have conspired to induce an upward tilt of the corners of the mouth

SC

You only say that to abrogate responsibility for cheering up the miserable old geezers. I'm as miserable Ithough not as old) an old fucnker as you could hope to meet, though sometimes fate, fortune, companions and circiumstance have conspired to induce an upward tilt of the corners of the mouth

SC

SC

facepalm.gifCan you say that in English please?...

"You only say that to abrogate responsibility for cheering up the miserable old geezers.

I'm as miserable (though not as old) an old fucnker as you could hope to meet, though sometimes fate, fortune, companions and circumstance have conspired to induce an upward tilt of the corners of the mouth"

Done

Don't let me detract from your shortcomings