Thai farmers demand action on rice

webfact

RICE SCHEME
Farmers demand action on rice

Wijit Chunhakijkajorn,
Sayan Chucham
The Nation

30223644-02_big.jpg

FARMERS have started to protest in many provinces over the delayed payments of the government's rice-pledging scheme.

BANGKOK: -- Some disgruntled farmers have also threatened to block roads if their plight remains ignored.
In Surin, more than 5,000 farmers yesterday gathered in front of the provincial city hall and complained the problem had dragged on for more than four months.

Surin Farmers Council chairman Korbsin Porkha said 61,909 farmers had presented evidence to support payment claims to the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC). But only 5,321 of them have been paid.

Similar payment problems have been reported in other provinces.

In Phichit, farmers are calling on those in nearby provinces to join their protest to step up pressure on the government.

These farmers plan to block the Pluak Soong Intersection on the Asia Road in Phichit's Wachirabarami district from today onward.

If the blockade takes place, interprovincial traffic will be affected.

Farmers in Nakhon Sawan have threatened to block roads there if the government fails to pay participants in the rice-pledging scheme by January 15.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-07

• Like 1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They will not be paid until the 2 trillion baht loan is approved, I very much doubt it will ever get approved off books or off budget as they planned

Or sell some rice from stockpiles

both scenarios very doubtful

and the EC should not be providing support for this vote buying scam

and yes - were exactly did Thaksin treble his money from - I find that highly suspicious

• Like 2

They will not be paid until the 2 trillion baht loan is approved, I very much doubt it will ever get approved off books or off budget as they planned

and yes - were exactly did Thaksin treble his money from - I find that highly suspicious

Wise investments and the stockmarket possibly? Why are we all so cynical? Suspicious...? I dont understand, Donald Trump... how many others have tripled their fortunes in a day, let alone 2 years! Facebook and Twitter and co. Its easy to be biased, but can we think critically or laterally? Oh no, thats too hard. Lets just blame the bast..d....

Is everyone falling for the Suthep propaganda and being objective? I think not. Many people have made fortunes in one day, why not Thaksin? He certainly has a higher IQ then I...wai.gif

• Like 1

Oh and they cant sell the stockpiles as this would be at a loss and a caretaker government cannot borrow money from the treasury and or approve any austerity measures... come on people, lets get the facts.

Name me a government who has not made mistakes? Tony Blair, George Bush, Kevin Rudd, Barack Obama... Hmm its easy to focus on a target when it is close to where we live, but what would we be whinging at back at home? Maybe if certain persons are not happy under Thailands various governments they should simply go home.... Hang on in good conscience could you do that when Thaksin was partly responsible for building Suva A/Port. No the man never did any good what so ever!

Wise investments and the stockmarket possibly? Why are we all so cynical? Suspicious...? I dont understand, Donald Trump... how many others have tripled their fortunes in a day, let alone 2 years! Facebook and Twitter and co. Its easy to be biased, but can we think critically or laterally? Oh no, thats too hard. Lets just blame the bast..d....

Is everyone falling for the Suthep propaganda and being objective? I think not. Many people have made fortunes in one day, why not Thaksin? He certainly has a higher IQ then I...wai.gif

May be, but his track record suggests not

So you know his IQ then?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Oh and they cant sell the stockpiles as this would be at a loss and a caretaker government cannot borrow money from the treasury and or approve any austerity measures... come on people, lets get the facts.

Name me a government who has not made mistakes? Tony Blair, George Bush, Kevin Rudd, Barack Obama... Hmm its easy to focus on a target when it is close to where we live, but what would we be whinging at back at home? Maybe if certain persons are not happy under Thailands various governments they should simply go home.... Hang on in good conscience could you do that when Thaksin was partly responsible for building Suva A/Port. No the man never did any good what so ever!

Your talking about one of the biggest corrupt projects ever undertaken....Thaksins flagship. scanners/runways/terminals/immigration/corrupt dutyfree monopoly.

With the air force out of D Muang, and update at the time it had more capacity than Swampy. Really no need for Swampy.

You mentioned "mistakes" true many leaders do but NOT MEGA corrupt blunders for self gain.

You forgot parking, now after a bit of biffo, firmly in the hands of his red shirt mates. Somehow I missed the tender process, apparently carried out by very large brown paper bags to his wife and sister.

Edited by JRSoul
  • Like 1

@C....nut

Maybe you have not noticed yet. Many TV posters have children here and pay taxes!

Illegal insider trading on the stock market is also a term which you also have not heard?

and

What do you do with a thief you catch at night in your house?

• Like 1

I wonder how long they will be allowed to protest before mysterious men start shooting at them, and their leaders have their houses fire-bombed.

No doubt the mysterious third hand, yet again.

Then the red brigade will be out on TV claiming its Suthep's fault. He'll be stirring the violence up.

Even if the protests hadn't started, and the whitewash and massive loan had been approved, does anybody think the poor farmers would have been paid?

The Shin gang are not noted for sharing the spoils or keeping any promises. Wonder how much land they'll buy up cheap when lots of these farmers go bust.

• Like 2

I don't think the farmers are very interested in politics, but they sure don't like not having money. The start of their protests today is far more dangerous to Thailand than the Bangkok drama.

First there were stupid posts.... and now it seems we have absurd posts... are these childrens writing this nonsense ? Don't posters know that there is only one place in Thailand and that is Bangkok... nowhere else counts... and rice farmers, well, they are 10 a penny...Oops whats 10 x 500bahts..... = PTP. EAT IT, YOU DESERVE IT..