DLT: Over 10,000 complaints against Thai cab drivers received in past 5 months

webfact

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know people will disagree with this, but despite what the rules may or not may say about taxi drivers having to take passengers, I can sympathize with them on choosing not to take some persons to where they want to go.

Many taxis have to be returned to the depot by specific times of the day for another driver to take over. If for example a cabby had to return his car at 4 pm on a Friday to its depot around Rama 4, and he was working Sukhumvit area at around 2pm, so 2 hours to play with. Some person stops him and asks him to take them to KSR or Pinklao, there is a very distinct possibility given the traffic on a Friday evening, that he would be unable to get there and back in 2 hours, and therefore does not want to go. What should he do? give up stopping for people and waste 2 hours of fare time on the of chance that someone asks him to take them miles away? My personal opinion is that taxis should have the right to pick and choose who they take, and where they take them, especially if they have a genuine reason that does not allow them to take them.

In 6 years or so, i could count the number of minor issues i have had with taxis on one hand.

You're right in that people will disagree with this. I work in Bangkok nearby Terminal 21 (asok Skytrain). I can flag down 4,5 or even 6 taxis before they agree to take me where I want to go. This is nothing to do with the poor driver not having time, its how much is the fare and can they be bothered, simple as that. They clearly think to themselves that there could be a better fare around the corner.

Also, I frequently hear them telling me that it's 200 baht,, (its usually a 60 or 70 baht fare),, and the reason? "Traffic very bad"..

These are taxi drivers that work in Bangkok, the traffic is no surprise to anyone. If they don't like sitting in traffic then finding another job is probably required because if you are in Bangkok its going to happen.

So, the law should be that they are not permitted to turn down a fare and that it should only ever be according to the meter not a made up number. The exception to this is a pre agreed fare for a longer distance trip such as airport.

The taxi service is often used by people on business and tourists and how they behave is remembered. I think Thailand should not underestimate how important it is to have a decent, honest and reliable taxi service.

• Like 2

The worst I ever got taken was by a London cabbie. Does that mean England is a developing and lawless

I don't believe this, London cabbies are the best in the world. Perhaps he picked up attitude.

Why would I lie and why would he pick up attitude? This was 20 years ago, taking a cab from the airport to the city.

Seems like a lot a people can get scammed: http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=99124&c=setreg&region=2

i have heard this so clearly there must be some truth in it, but I think that this is the minority of London cabbies. I have caught london taxis for years and never had a problem, not once. Most are talkative, friendly people and just get you to where you want to be as quickly as possible. Also, never been refused by a london taxi to take me anywhere, in fact you get in before you tell them where you want to go.

• Like 1

Only complaint in Bangkok is refusing to go to places when it does not suit them at various times of day. Other than that they are a helpful bunch. Except Phuket where they are controlled and charge extortionate rates - 2-3x Bangkok rates. Phuket is the problem - not Bangkok.

• Like 1

What can be said to the taxi drivers that refuse to take you? Nothing, I suppose. xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

My best guess would be just to take a photo of their ID# in the back and report them.

Just leave the back door open if they refuse the request to take you and move on, and or only half close it. They hate having to get out and close it themselves...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Lmao, that sounds like a good way to get stabbed.

my days are numbered then... Rather do as my wife says ;) but wouldn't be a laughing matter then that's for sure!

What can be said to the taxi drivers that refuse to take you? Nothing, I suppose. xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

My best guess would be just to take a photo of their ID# in the back and report them.

Just leave the back door open if they refuse the request to take you and move on, and or only half close it. They hate having to get out and close it themselves...

I don't really recommend that. I had a very aggressive 6ft6 tall American colleague who did that in the pouring rain when a cab refused to go to his destination. The next thing he knew he was running for his life pursued by the cab driver who was brandishing a chair leg with a 6 inch nail sticking out of it. Luckily he outran the cabbie but would have been literally nailed,. if his friend had not spotted the cabbie and told him to leg it.

• Like 2

The obvious solution to the cabbie solution is something that no government wants to consider. That is to raise fares significantly and impose strict standards on the drivers, e.g. they must take passengers anywhere in Bkk, they may not lock passengers in the car, they and the cabs must be licensed etc, etc. As it is, it is a tough way to earn a living and attempts to impose rules will get nowhere. Around 40% of the drivers and cabs are unlicensed. Often the drivers just run away and leave the cab owner to pay the fine. Then they join a new taxi cooperative.

Bkk buses need to be tightly supervised with huge fines for belching out black smoke, stopping in the outside lane at a bus stop, not stopping at all at a bus stop, not stopping long enough to allow all passengers to get on and off safely etc etc. This should be doable because BMTA is a state agency but it is controlled by mafia, so nothing will happen.

• Like 2

Taxis are the very reason so many Thais will spend every baht they have to own a car. Contrary to what some know-it-all, do-gooder farangs claim, it has nothing to do with status or showing off. It's for their own safety and piece of mind.

Many (not all but a lot) of taxi drivers are the lowest form of human on the face of the earth. I HATE 'em!

Any farang that says they've never had a problem with them is lying and pretending to be the acceptable Thaier-than-though farang. Get over yourselves!

Those who claim to have never had a bad experience with a taxi probably only had to take them a short distance from one heavy traffic area to another heavy traffic area. Those of us that live on the outskirts of town have had miserable experiences getting taxis too & from the city. Even for those of us that speak Thai.

If your only taxi experience is from Q-Bar or Thong Lo soi 10 to the closest BTS stop, then your experience really doesn't count.

BTW, I happen to know of two different women that have been raped or assaulted by a taxi driver on the outskirts of town (Prawet and Rangsit). Both of these women are Thai so this has nothing to do with a misunderstanding of language or culture.

Taxis are the main reason I am biting the bullet and paying the high price of owning a car.

Yes I rather sit in my own car in traffic rather than stand out in the rain begging for a ride or riding in a taxi with a driver hopped up on drugs driving in 3rd gear on the highway jerking the car by stomping on & off the accelerator!

Ugh! I can't stand them! angry.png.pagespeed.ce.Cla6z9sEn6.png

Ok rant over. smile.png

Lol some know it all do gooders, and then you proceed to tell everyone the reason for this and that!!

last year a friend took a taxi to pattaya against my advice,he did not like the hotel so he looked with the taxi drivers help.found one looked ok.booked and payed,did not check the price as first time to Thailand.a few days later saw the real price.he was charged 70 pound over the price along with his friend.nothing he could do now about the price,but he did not complain,he should have thou.the taxi driver along with the hotel just reaped him off.would have being one more report to the list.he learn,t quick after that not to trust taxi drivers and check hotel prices

One time I was trying to catch a cab at the Ban Thab Chang Airport Link station - every single taxi (with the "Free" light lit) passed me by without even stopping. It must have been 7-8 taxis over the span of 20-30 minutes. Eventually I whipped out the camera phone to film myself requesting a free taxi - only then did one finally stop.

Had some other great experiences - the guy who had an upset stomach and dropped me off in the middle of nowhere (collecting the fare of course), and another taxi driver who stopped the car and went to the restroom for 10 minutes while the taxi and meter were running.

Anyone who has stayed in the area can probably go on and on about the taxi drivers here:

• not being able to read maps
  • taking you to the wrong place or a place that is convenient to them
  • trying to take you to places that give them a commission (hint: never ask a taxi driver for advice on where to go for anything)
  • negotiating an "off-meter" price during rush hour
  • choosing extremely poor routes
  • not having a meter
  • resetting the meter when having to stop and drop someone off on the way to get a new flag fall fare
  • driving like a maniac
  • etc

Overall, though, I've been reasonably satisfied with the taxis here. It's much preferable to being in the countryside where they completely rip you off.

As someone who has used taxis in BKK on a fairly frequent basis, I'm not that upset by them. Sure, I've had a few bad experiences but it's far from my biggest headache in Bangkok. The only time it really frustrates me is when you're in a place where there are few other options. Anywhere near Patpong. Any bus terminal. Frequently near KSR.

The guys down at the airport used to anger me to no end but they're mostly gone now.

I've also had really good experiences with taxi drivers so it balances out. I've poured friends into taxis after a night of boozing it up, handed them an written address, and a guesstimate of the fare, and they've made it home safely.

I've had tons of entertaining conversations with taxi drivers. Granted, we're not talking economics or physics, but sometimes the chit-chat can be enlightening in terms of learning about the culture from a different perspective. How can you not be entertained by a discussion of penis size differences between Thais and farangs? :-)

All in, I would guess that 80% of my taxi rides have been without incident. The other 20% . . . that's life. I travel a lot and there are taxi ripoffs everywhere. Maybe slightly more in BKK (and a lot more in Phuket) but hardly an epidemic.

• Like 2

Oh yeah, and don't get me started about the taxi drivers not having change! Nothing beats that sinking feeling of being in a taxi and realizing you only have 1000 baht bills.

Though I did give a taxi driver a 1000 baht bill the other day, and he actually had change. It was the first time in my life that we didn't have to go to a 7-Eleven for change.

• Like 2

I know people will disagree with this, but despite what the rules may or not may say about taxi drivers having to take passengers, I can sympathize with them on choosing not to take some persons to where they want to go.

Many taxis have to be returned to the depot by specific times of the day for another driver to take over. If for example a cabby had to return his car at 4 pm on a Friday to its depot around Rama 4, and he was working Sukhumvit area at around 2pm, so 2 hours to play with. Some person stops him and asks him to take them to KSR or Pinklao, there is a very distinct possibility given the traffic on a Friday evening, that he would be unable to get there and back in 2 hours, and therefore does not want to go. What should he do? give up stopping for people and waste 2 hours of fare time on the of chance that someone asks him to take them miles away? My personal opinion is that taxis should have the right to pick and choose who they take, and where they take them, especially if they have a genuine reason that does not allow them to take them.

In 6 years or so, i could count the number of minor issues i have had with taxis on one hand.

Exactly, that is why I do not consider it a big issue. End of the day, they are poor bastards.

Well what do u expect from a developing and lawless country! First world treatment?

The worst I ever got taken was by a London cabbie. Does that mean England is a developing and lawless country?

Ditto for New York - not only ripped off - I had to direct him to Times Square!!

i have heard this so clearly there must be some truth in it, but I think that this is the minority of London cabbies. I have caught london taxis for years and never had a problem, not once. Most are talkative, friendly people and just get you to where you want to be as quickly as possible. Also, never been refused by a london taxi to take me anywhere, in fact you get in before you tell them where you want to go.

Someone once told me details about the test that London cabbies have to pass in order to get their license. It sounded like the hardest test in the world.

BTW, I happen to know of two different women that have been raped or assaulted by a taxi driver on the outskirts of town (Prawet and Rangsit). Both of these women are Thai so this has nothing to do with a misunderstanding of language or culture.

Thai on Thai crime, in general, is far, far worse than Thai on Farang crime.

I agree that this is a horrible thing when women are raped or almost raped by taxi drivers. No excuse and no mercy for them. But those scum are not on the same level as someone who doesn't want to haul your ass across town in rush hour traffic.

Taxis are the very reason so many Thais will spend every baht they have to own a car. Contrary to what some know-it-all, do-gooder farangs claim, it has nothing to do with status or showing off. It's for their own safety and piece of mind.

Many (not all but a lot) of taxi drivers are the lowest form of human on the face of the earth. I HATE 'em!

Any farang that says they've never had a problem with them is lying and pretending to be the acceptable Thaier-than-though farang. Get over yourselves!

Those who claim to have never had a bad experience with a taxi probably only had to take them a short distance from one heavy traffic area to another heavy traffic area. Those of us that live on the outskirts of town have had miserable experiences getting taxis too & from the city. Even for those of us that speak Thai.

If your only taxi experience is from Q-Bar or Thong Lo soi 10 to the closest BTS stop, then your experience really doesn't count.

Taxis are the main reason I am biting the bullet and paying the high price of owning a car.

Yes I rather sit in my own car in traffic rather than stand out in the rain begging for a ride or riding in a taxi with a driver hopped up on drugs driving in 3rd gear on the highway jerking the car by stomping on & off the accelerator!

Ok rant over. smile.png

Lol some know it all do gooders, and then you proceed to tell everyone the reason for this and that!!

Yet you failed to understand the context in which I used the term "know-it-all, do-gooder".

Often times, many here in these forums only notice the less than 1% of Thais that have the wealth & connections to own expensive cars yet completely ignore the millions in cheap cars - some barely held together with chicken wire just to have a running vehicle.

I'm a lot more observant of these issues and not in the Sukhumvit bubble applying that standard to all of Thailand.

• Like 1

Ok rant over. :)

good therapy and slightly accurate. Wouldn't say the lowest form of life as have actually had a few good ones and I live in Ramkamhaeng, a traffic nightmare, also had my share of nutters like yesterday at Makro Bangkapi, was next in line when cabbie said " I don't take farangs". I asked him why in Thai and he said I only take Thai people for a ride,... So I calmly left his back door open and let a Thai close it, being the driver. The four other customers being Thai refused his service and called him a racist, stating directly to him we're all human. Drove off quite mad with the security guard and other Thais laughing their heads off.. Believe it or not but true tale.

One time I was trying to catch a cab at the Ban Thab Chang Airport Link station - every single taxi (with the "Free" light lit) passed me by without even stopping. It must have been 7-8 taxis over the span of 20-30 minutes. Eventually I whipped out the camera phone to film myself requesting a free taxi - only then did one finally stop.

Had some other great experiences - the guy who had an upset stomach and dropped me off in the middle of nowhere (collecting the fare of course), and another taxi driver who stopped the car and went to the restroom for 10 minutes while the taxi and meter were running.

Anyone who has stayed in the area can probably go on and on about the taxi drivers here:

• not being able to read maps
  • taking you to the wrong place or a place that is convenient to them
  • trying to take you to places that give them a commission (hint: never ask a taxi driver for advice on where to go for anything)
  • negotiating an "off-meter" price during rush hour
  • choosing extremely poor routes
  • not having a meter
  • resetting the meter when having to stop and drop someone off on the way to get a new flag fall fare
  • driving like a maniac
  • etc
Overall, though, I've been reasonably satisfied with the taxis here. It's much preferable to being in the countryside where they completely rip you off.
let's by a second hand car or a motor bike in your case ;)

• Like 1

sounds like the home brigade spouting shit here

• Like 1

Thai on Thai crime, in general, is far, far worse than Thai on Farang crime.

I agree that this is a horrible thing when women are raped or almost raped by taxi drivers. No excuse and no mercy for them. But those scum are not on the same level as someone who doesn't want to haul your ass across town in rush hour traffic.

True. Not wanting to do your job isn't in the same category as a criminal act such as rape and/or assault. Just pointing out why many Thais choose to buy a car an not deal with the hassles of these taxis. So many at ThaiVisa claim that those that buy cars are somehow decadent and should just rely on taxis instead.

You're right, Thais are much worse towards their very own.

I take taxis all the time when I am in Thailand and have few problems. The biggest issue is taxi drivers not wanting to take me to where I want to go, but apart from that it has been (mostly) smooth sailing......

Is it not their only function?

• Like 1

I'm waiting for the "I've lived in Bangkok for 30 years, ridden in thousands of taxis- and never had a problem" clap2.gif

OK. Twice I have refused to carry on, the no meter rubbish. Just got out!

Speaking a little Thai helps.

Best not to get a taxi in a tourist area of Bangkok, but have done for thirty years!

Best not to get a taxi in a tourist area of Bangkok, but have done for thirty years!

So I should walk to get a taxi at a better place?!?!?! thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

• Like 1

Without a doubt, meter taxis in Bangkok give you the best value for money compared to any big city worlwide. In New York you better have the right skin colour waving down a taxi at night. In London they will take you at night if the target is on their route home. In most European countries moving 10m costs the same as a medium trip in Bkk. In African and South American countries you may not arrive at all.

In Bkk, after leaving a popular place, a long queue of taxis are waiting for prey. You just walk along the line asking for metered trip. Number 5 or 6 will comply. Those, that are denied a trip should check their appearance, attitude, soberness, smells etc.

Bkk meter taxis are one of Thailand's best features. Bash other features.

Hey, it's a start!

And a 1,000 THB fine to a taxi driver is a LOT of cash out of pocket. It will be a great incentive for them to not do it. When they try to charge me roi ha sib or song roi ha sib (not meter) I repeat their 4 digit ID, close the door, and (pretend to) dial my phone. They don't know if I'm calling to file a complaint or not but with these actions, they might start thinking more.

Sustainable? Continued effort? That remains to be seen I think.

• Like 1

Well what do u expect from a developing and lawless country! First world treatment?

I've experienced similar treatment in "First World".

I try not to single anyone out on stories, but base my opinions on personal experience. As for the LOS taxis, no problems, but then again I don't take them often. The poor experiences that I have had are the motorcycle taxis here in Pattaya. That's another story for a different forum