'Totally inappropriate': Tourist's shock at Buddhist temple in Thailand

Boater

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It happened people. Whether you believe the official line or not it is now a part of history. The picture in no way glorifies the attack so just where is it wrong ? It seems that today outrage and offence are to be found in every little thing regardless of any intention to cause offence or outrage.

Would a painting of an unmanned drone have caused such outrage I wonder. Considering the "Collateral damage " they have wreaked since 9/11

I also never understood the outcry over the Hitler nonsense last year. It seems it is fine to print T shirts of bin Laden, Stalin and Lenin yet Hitler is a total no no.

Ignore it or grow some thicker skin.

sorry.gif.pagespeed.ce.HIAcli9fRM.png

Never understood? As you have noticed, the Holocaust and 9/11 were the two biggest tragedies ever to hit mankind. Nobody can trivialise them. No matter that other tragedies on a bigger scale have happened, they did not involve the more valuable lives of Americans or Jews.

Of course the painting is not inappropriate. A good friend of mine's daughter died in a Chiang Mai hotel but he does not think it inappropriate for bed bug spray or the hotel to be advertised. The tragedy he experienced, he knows, is his problem and the rest of the world, Thailand in particular, does not have to walk on eggshells to make him feel better.

I think you've missed one or two of the biggest tragedies to hit mankind. Like the invention of the Atom Bomb and dropping the first two on Hiroshima and Nagasaki I can think of a good few more but everyone has their own idea of what 'the biggest tragedy to hit mankind' actually was.

• Like 1

I've visited the place a couple of times, the temple looks amazing in the sunlight and even better at night with light reflecting off the mirror finish.

I was told that it was built and paid for by one artist who has continously added to the art inside of the building.

The surrounding gardens are full of skulls/hands rising out of the ground, reminded me of the begining of terminator. Some of the alien and preditor scultptures I would love to have in my garden. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=white+temple+chiang+rai&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=GP9FU-GrA5GckgXh0ICAAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1376&bih=706#imgdii=_

YES the interior art is weird and it does not follow what you would normally expect to see inside a temple, the walls cover all sorts of issues. Read what you wish into the art/pictures, its still very impressive (needs to be seen to appreciate) Its all meant to tell as story.

His paintings for sale in the houses outside of the shope are amazing and expensive

No disrespect but I believe that Thais will never stop being ignorant idiots. I am not sure how they would react if someone made a comedy of the Thamassat Uni massacre along a few other tragedies.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Of course it is disrespectful. When you call someone an ignorant idiot it is always disrespectful. Just because I read Thai Visa does not mean I am a scorned man with a chip on my shoulder. I don't go around singing Love in Vain all day long.

My failed love life does not influence my perceptions of Thailand any more than my failed love life with the French, Italian or Hungarian women would cause me to become a French, Hungarian or Italian basher.

Nor am I so jealous of the older gentleman I saw this morning with the drop dead gorgeous yabbed up crack addict on his arm. God you know she could cause buildings to collapse just by looking at them.

I did not find anything offensive to me in this mural, actually I like it, looks like a pimped out paint job for a muscle car, makes me wanna go and visit and hopefully sneak some pix...As for being appropriate in a temple? Well, who decides that? Temples have to be solemn. contemplative, quiet, introspective, not challenging, rebellious, unconventional!! Jails have to be dreary, gray, forbidding, terrifying...Hospitals have to be mournful, smelly, hush hush...and so on...We, the societies of mostly western countries developed these "appropriate" traits for certain institutions and then exported tem to other cultures and if someone decides to experiment or play around with those traits then our collective panties are up in a punch...chill out.

• Like 2

It happened people. Whether you believe the official line or not it is now a part of history. The picture in no way glorifies the attack so just where is it wrong ? It seems that today outrage and offence are to be found in every little thing regardless of any intention to cause offence or outrage.

Would a painting of an unmanned drone have caused such outrage I wonder. Considering the "Collateral damage " they have wreaked since 9/11

I also never understood the outcry over the Hitler nonsense last year. It seems it is fine to print T shirts of bin Laden, Stalin and Lenin yet Hitler is a total no no.

Yes, it could actually be the opposite to what everybody (well most) seem to be jumping upon and that it is that it might be a memorial to pertinent aspects of American history ie: the twin towers tragedy, Michael Jackson's death etc:

Now if this was in a mosque then I don't think this would apply!!!

It does seem ignorant of the feelings of others. Not sure that the art work is any better than the school kids that I see copying comic book characters, there doesn't seem to be the intelligence to shock in an artistic style, does there?

I wonder if the artist would consider Thai bus fulls of locals driving into a ravine suitable, maybe a WW2 bomb with associated body parts flying? One would hope not but the comparison is easy to see.

Thing that gets me is that this is in a tourism Wat!

Never understood? As you have noticed, the Holocaust and 9/11 were the two biggest tragedies ever to hit mankind. Nobody can trivialise them. No matter that other tragedies on a bigger scale have happened, they did not involve the more valuable lives of Americans or Jews.

Of course the painting is not inappropriate. A good friend of mine's daughter died in a Chiang Mai hotel but he does not think it inappropriate for bed bug spray or the hotel to be advertised. The tragedy he experienced, he knows, is his problem and the rest of the world, Thailand in particular, does not have to walk on eggshells to make him feel better.

I think you've missed one or two of the biggest tragedies to hit mankind. Like the invention of the Atom Bomb and dropping the first two on Hiroshima and Nagasaki I can think of a good few more but everyone has their own idea of what 'the biggest tragedy to hit mankind' actually was.

I think you've missed the tone of my post. The second and third sentences should have made it clear.

Of course there have been bigger tragedies, and some of them directly caused by Americans or Israelis, but the world is forced to bow to the loudest voices and those with the biggest chip on their shoulders.

I'm an American and feel ok with this. After all the controversial Thai artist, Chalermchai Kositpipat, painted what is in his mind. It is good to be reminded of the twin towers, Michael Jackson etc. Now, the memory will go on. Cowboy-up, boys !

I'm guessing no one in here posting has actually been to this temple, or knows anything about the artist involved with the temple. So posting with the exact same ignorance they claim Thais to have.

I'll be the first to jump in and accuse the majority of Thais about being completely ignorant about the world around them, and I just so happened to visit this temple on the weekend while up north. It was very surreal, but if the offended person had actually bothered to walk around the grounds more, read some of the literature around the place and get some context to it, he wouldn't be so offended.

The temple is a privately owned temple, not state owned, built by the artist (Chalermcha Kositpitap) and his followers, it combines a lot of pop culture referneces alongside ones to purity, death, apolocalptic scenes etc..He doesn't accept donations from Government, politicians of big business - he wants to remain artistically and spiritually independent. He is incredibly well travelled, and the art in his gallery shows this (as well as a wide understanding of world religions, culture and politics)

The pictures are (in his own words, I'm looking at the brochure explaining it now and typing fast so excuse the typos):

"I want everyone to know our world is being destroyed by those who build weapons to kill, thereby ruining the environment because nothing is ever enough. They segregate and cannot find peace. I saw the violence and it hurts me me and mankind to observe the killing of the innocence by these two powerful individuals (referring to Bush and Bin Laden). Peaceful people do not want to see the murder of the muslims and the collapse of the new york twin towers. I want to show the eyes, as important organs, should look at each other with kindness and not with hate that can lead to war. I painted at that time to caution both bush and bin laden, so that they can look toward a peaceful and happy world. I painted superman and ultraman to let people know that there are no heroes in or world, actually people need heroes since our morality declines every day. However no heroes from the movie screen arrive to help the havoc of the twin towers. Eventually the world becomes ill not only with the environment, but also with the people. People lack moral standards, that is why I potray evil people as the demon with mouth opened encircled at the entrance to the temple. When people walk out they will feel that they leave the demon behind that is they have rid themselves from evil spirits and going towards the highest level of dhamma, where people will not be reborn. The thai designs that flow from the eyes, nose and mouth of the demon towards the back wall of the temple change into angelic carriage that takes the people who rid themselves from evil deeds to meet the lord buddha at the edge of the universe"

So yeah, context is important before knee jerk critcism. You might disagree with his motives, but this is a hell of a lot different to the retards at Chula Uni putting hitler up on their graduation banners.

I wish a mod would move this to be the very first reply to the thread so that all the rednecks can stop moaning.

• Like 2

To depict a tragedy such as the hijacking of several airplanes, and smashing them into buildings where thousands (not only americans) died is just not right. For those foolish individuals that think only Americans are hurt by this...think of Malaysian Airlines, Lockerbee, Korean Airlines and several others. World events do not just affect Americans, nor are they always directed solely towards us alone. It affects every civilized Nation everywhere. Victims are from many Nations. I shudder to sit next to soccer crazed American Hating (you know where they are from) morons who blame America for everything that happens in their dull, simple , blind folded lives.

• Like 2

Although the White Temple has a kind of fairytale Gothic beauty from a distance, close up it seems pretty tacky to me. However, it does more or less follow traditional ideas. Typically, in a Thai temple the side walls have murals of the Jataka (morality)Tales mixed with scenes of contemporary life to make them more relevant to the viewer. The central theme of this mural seems to be a petrol pump leading to the burning twin towers. The moral clearly is that greed for cheap oil can lead to violence.

Personally, I'd rather not see violence in temple murals, but it isn't unusual. There are scenes of hell realms, armies fighting, people shot with arrows, etc. While this modern mural is pretty jarring, the basic concept is an old one: morality and karma.

• Like 2

Nothing inappropriate here.

It's an accurate vision of Thai's perception of the world: Here Superman, Black Eyes Peas or Bin Laden are equal pickles, they are just names they hear about farang World but they have not got the faintest clue as too how real they are or what do they represent or who they are.

Can't disagree with this.

That's the odd thing about the regularly occurring controversies like this in Thailand. While Western liberals might defend things like this as being art or free speech, probably it never even occurred to the artist that there was anything controversial about what he was depicting.

I'm guessing no one in here posting has actually been to this temple, or knows anything about the artist involved with the temple. So posting with the exact same ignorance they claim Thais to have.

I'll be the first to jump in and accuse the majority of Thais about being completely ignorant about the world around them, and I just so happened to visit this temple on the weekend while up north. It was very surreal, but if the offended person had actually bothered to walk around the grounds more, read some of the literature around the place and get some context to it, he wouldn't be so offended.

The temple is a privately owned temple, not state owned, built by the artist (Chalermcha Kositpitap) and his followers, it combines a lot of pop culture referneces alongside ones to purity, death, apolocalptic scenes etc..He doesn't accept donations from Government, politicians of big business - he wants to remain artistically and spiritually independent. He is incredibly well travelled, and the art in his gallery shows this (as well as a wide understanding of world religions, culture and politics)

The pictures are (in his own words, I'm looking at the brochure explaining it now and typing fast so excuse the typos):

"I want everyone to know our world is being destroyed by those who build weapons to kill, thereby ruining the environment because nothing is ever enough. They segregate and cannot find peace. I saw the violence and it hurts me me and mankind to observe the killing of the innocence by these two powerful individuals (referring to Bush and Bin Laden). Peaceful people do not want to see the murder of the muslims and the collapse of the new york twin towers. I want to show the eyes, as important organs, should look at each other with kindness and not with hate that can lead to war. I painted at that time to caution both bush and bin laden, so that they can look toward a peaceful and happy world. I painted superman and ultraman to let people know that there are no heroes in or world, actually people need heroes since our morality declines every day. However no heroes from the movie screen arrive to help the havoc of the twin towers. Eventually the world becomes ill not only with the environment, but also with the people. People lack moral standards, that is why I potray evil people as the demon with mouth opened encircled at the entrance to the temple. When people walk out they will feel that they leave the demon behind that is they have rid themselves from evil spirits and going towards the highest level of dhamma, where people will not be reborn. The thai designs that flow from the eyes, nose and mouth of the demon towards the back wall of the temple change into angelic carriage that takes the people who rid themselves from evil deeds to meet the lord buddha at the edge of the universe"

So yeah, context is important before knee jerk critcism. You might disagree with his motives, but this is a hell of a lot different to the retards at Chula Uni putting hitler up on their graduation banners.

At first sight, I too considered this mural in bad taste - and certainly inappropriate for a temple. I want to thank Jingthing for putting my outrage into words and posting the video of the true horror of that awful day.

However, now that I understand the intention of the artist - and the fact that this is not a normal temple, but rather his own personal art studio - I am reversing my opinion.

And for those people who blame capitalism or evangelical Christians or Americans for all the evils in this world, you are truly walking in darkness and enslaved by Lucifer. Peace out.

Everything you need to know about the worst act of Israeli terrorism on US soil in under 5 minutes? You bet your sweet sisters tight ass thats what it is. Its the best sum up of 9/11 ever. Its accurate, to the point and has it all form a to z. Its actually pretty sad how straightforward everything is, yet the sheep have been conditioned to scream conspiracy theorist each time someone doesnt take what the media presents at face value and so they do:

On the morning of September 11, 2001, 19 men armed with boxcutters directed by a man on dialysis in a cave fortress halfway around the world using a satellite phone and a laptop directed the most sophisticated penetration of the most heavily-defended airspace in the world, overpowering the passengers and the military combat-trained pilots on 4 commercial aircraft before flying those planes wildly off course for over an hour without being molested by a single fighter interceptor.

These 19 hijackers, devout religious fundamentalists who liked to drink alcohol, snort cocaine, and live with pink-haired strippers, managed to knock down 3 buildings with 2 planes in New York, while in Washington a pilot who couldnt handle a single engine Cessna was able to fly a 757 in an 8,000 foot descending 270 degree corskscrew turn to come exactly level with the ground, hitting the Pentagon in the budget analyst office where DoD staffers were working on the mystery of the 2.3 trillion dollars that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld had announced missing from the Pentagons coffers in a press conference the day before, on September 10, 2001.

Luckily, the news anchors knew who did it within minutes, the pundits knew within hours, the Administration knew within the day, and the evidence literally fell into the FBIs lap. But for some reason a bunch of crazy conspiracy theorists demanded an investigation into the greatest attack on American soil in history.

The investigation was delayed, underfunded, set up to fail, a conflict of interest and a cover up from start to finish. It was based on testimony extracted through torture, the records of which were destroyed. It failed to mention the existence of WTC7, Able Danger, Ptech, Sibel Edmonds, OBL and the CIA, and the drills of hijacked aircraft being flown into buildings that were being simulated at the precise same time that those events were actually happening. It was lied to by the Pentagon, the CIA, the Bush Administration and as for Bush and Cheney well, no one knows what they told it because they testified in secret, off the record, not under oath and behind closed doors.

It didnt bother to look at who funded the attacks because that question is of little practical significance. Still, the 9/11 Commission did brilliantly, answering all of the questions the public had (except most of the victims family members questions) and pinned blame on all the people responsible (although no one so much as lost their job), determining the attacks were a

failure of imagination because I dont think anyone could envision flying airplanes into buildings except the Pentagon and FEMA and NORAD and the NRO.

The DIA destroyed 2.5 TB of data on Able Danger, but thats OK because it probably wasnt important.

The SEC destroyed their records on the investigation into the insider trading before the attacks, but thats OK because destroying the records of the largest investigation in SEC history is just part of routine record keeping.

NIST has classified the data that they used for their model of WTC7′s collapse, but thats OK because knowing how they made their model of that collapse would jeopardize public safety.

The FBI has argued that all material related to their investigation of 9/11 should be kept secret from the public, but thats OK because the FBI probably has nothing to hide.

This man never existed, nor is anything he had to say worthy of your attention, and if you say otherwise you are a paranoid conspiracy theorist and deserve to be shunned by all of humanity. Likewise him, him, him, and her. (and her and her and him).

Osama Bin Laden lived in a cave fortress in the hills of Afghanistan, but somehow got away. Then he was hiding out in Tora Bora but somehow got away. Then he lived in Abottabad for years, taunting the most comprehensive intelligence dragnet employing the most sophisticated technology in the history of the world for 10 years, releasing video after video with complete impunity (and getting younger and younger as he did so), before finally being found in a daring SEAL team raid which wasnt recorded on video, in which he didnt resist or use his wife as a human shield, and in which these crack special forces operatives panicked and killed this unarmed man, supposedly the best source of intelligence about those dastardly terrorists on the planet. Then they dumped his body in the ocean before telling anyone about it. Then a couple dozen of that teams members died in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan.

This is the story of 9/11, brought to you by the media which told you the hard truths about JFK and incubator babies and mobile production facilities and the rescue of Jessica Lynch.

If you have any questions about this story you are a batshit, paranoid, tinfoil, dog-abusing baby-hater and will be reviled by everyone. If you love your country and/or freedom, happiness, rainbows, rock and roll, puppy dogs, apple pie and your grandma, you will never ever express doubts about any part of this story to anyone. Ever.

This has been a public service announcement by: the Friends of the FBI, CIA, NSA, DIA, SEC, MSM, White House, NIST, and the 9/11 Commission. Because Ignorance is Strength.

Nobody will read this - no matter how good the content is.

• Like 1