When you first came to Thailand - do you remember where you stayed?

David48

A run-down in Cha-Am, but the room was fine as were the staff.  Apart from one receptionist who tried to encourage my husband to meet her mother :blink:.

This should have given me a clue (!), but some of us are v slow at times!

I remember so many things about that holiday so clearly :) - and they were mostly suprising and good.

Edit - apart from the dead dogs on the road which made me desperate to get back home.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Came up from Singapore.  Through Malaysia.  First hotel in Thailand was in Had Yai. A fairly large old hotel. The gf traveling with me and I went into the dining room. Huge seafood menu. Everything was priced per 100g. The metric system and most Americans are clueless to one another. Well at least back then. So we ordered about ten dishes. Ignoring the per 100 g note. We had a good laugh. Then fended rats off all night long when the lights were off.

In Bangkok it was the River City Lodge. On the soi leading to the Sheraton. 500b a night.

Ended up coming back years later to River City Lodge. Rented a room for a month. Until my job started. Married the reception girl. Lasted a decent 7 years till she ran off with a Police General. 

I could write a book. But then again who couldn't. 

First night in a small guesthouse can't remember the name just around the corner from happy guesthouse on the khao sarn rd 50 baht a night and the fan stopped working in the middle of the night, it was april 1992. After 4 days in BKK went to Nong Khai and stayed at the mutmee guesthouse on the river they were just starting to build the bridge to Laos stayed a week or so then went to Chaing Mai and stayed in a place just of chaiapoom rd stayed there for a couple of weeks, it was songkran and I had never seen anything like it was drenched for most of the time and loved it back then but I'm not that into songkran now.

By my 3rd visit to Thailand in april 1993 I had grown tired of khao sarn road area and preferred the ngam dupri, sri bam pen area where I ended up living for almost 3 years in a room down the little soi by My Place which would later become Kennys not sure what it is called now but it is still there and one of the girls working there is still there now as I visited in February. Sadly the blue fox is no more and the Chinese restaurant opposite wongs place is now closed as well, wongs place is still there run by his nephew I think as wong passed away a number of years ago. I have many great memories of this area.

• Like 1

I first came in 1976 and stayed at the cheap and nasty Sri Hualampong Hotel by the station.

I spoke no Thai, but I did speak, read and write Chinese. I looked at the owner and thought 'probably a Sino-Thai', but he didn't understand Mandarin, so I wrote 'do you understand Chinese?' in characters to him.

His written reply was memorable: 'Yes - do you want a Thai girl?'

I first came in 1989 and flew in from Penang. I fell in love with the place as the plane was landing. I know exactly where I stayed in Patong, but can't remember the name of the hotel. It was $40 U.S. a night and they threw me out after a week or so, because it was Christmas time. The only place I could find was $15 U.S. and it was clean and comfortable with happy hookers in the lobby. That was the end of me wasting money at "expensive" hotels. I hardly ever spent more than $10 or $15 U.S. after that - until I had my own business and could afford it. 

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2014 at 4:58 PM, Farma said:

First visit to Thailand 1984 Hadyai hotel.

First stay in Phuket 1985 Thara Patong Resort

First stay in Bangkok 1985 Honey Hotel.

The Thara brings back memories that was the first place I stayed in Phuket.

My first place in Thailand was this place...

http://conradhotels3.hilton.com/en/hotels/thailand/conrad-bangkok-BKKCICI/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

I arrived on 23rd December 2004. Hotel Driver picked me up from Don Muang. Quality Suites was the destination and I had arrived from France..

I had breakfast the next day with my new boss and she told me to relax until after Christmas and she would send someone to meet me on Boxing Day...

On December 23, 2557 BE at 7:12 PM, sprq said:

Exactly right. The Malaysia area was the backpacker/budget area then, for no explicable reason, whilst nobody - very strangely - had yet thought of opening guest houses in the old city.

Me too... 1974 backpacker spot - Malaysia Hotel... I think it was $2 a night... and a real treat after going overland through the Middle East... so nice to have clean sheets, hot and cold running water... loved it. 

• Agree 1

Montien Hotel Pattaya.

Flew 10,000 km to stay for a week in 2006.

It cost 800 Baht to sign a girl in.

Next trip, 9 months later, stayed at the Queen Vic in soi 6, for 850 Baht a night (deluxe room not far behind Montien) and no no 'sign in' fee.

• 7 years later...

My first night in Thailand, 17 March 1977, I stayed at the Sakol Hotel behind the National Stadium, walking distance from Siam Square. A large, clean room cost 90 baht a night.

The hotel was demolished in the early 1980s to make way for Mahboonkrong Center, today MBK Center, which opened in 1985.

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Some crappy hotel. Don't remember the name or location. 🤣

Same - I remember the location but not the name.  😉

Remember 2. Place, Pattaya park, 4. Place Moonshine bar/restaurant at jomtien. 

1. Place was a hotel far down on Jomtien close to one of the kite surfing shops/schools

3. Place was jomtien soi 15 or so, a cheap quiet resort.

Moonshine was great when I was there back in the day, with fun party girls who worked there. 

Grand Hotel (1999), thankfully only 1 night.   What a dump back then, not sure what it's like now.

Overnighted, than straight to Phuket the next day, for a pleasant long week.  A few days of diving and chillin' out.  Stayed at Patong Tower, was all timeshared I think, and a trade from mine in USA.  Didn't realize at the time hotels were so inexpensive here, and not the wisest idea.  Though had weeks of, and it was use them or lose them.

Worked for an airlines, so the trip (air & hotel) cost next to nothing.  I bought inexpensive drones that cost more :cheesy:

Came back the next year, and basically stayed :coffee1: