Thai Transport Min holds back rigid driving licences regulation

webfact

Ministry holds back rigid driving licences regulation

290310.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Transport has withdrawn it's ministerial regulation that mandates applicant for driving license to attend a training session of up to 15 hours instead of just 3-4 hours as it is the case now.

Government spokesman Lt Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said during the Cabinet meeting, the Minister of Transport has offered to withdraw the regulation for review.

He said the minister reasoned that the regulation, which mandates applicants to attend either a training session of up to 15 hours instead of just 3-4 hours at each of the five driving schools operated by the Land Transport Department in five provinces, or to pass both the written and driving tests organized by the private sector driving schools certified by the department, was strongly criticised.

The new ministerial regulation was intended to set a new standard of road safety and to improve the discipline of car drivers.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ministry-holds-back-rigid-driving-licences-regulation/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-29

Most people would just pay to get the licence.

I can't believe in different threads here I've seen westerners laughing about their wives/gf's that are so dreadful on the road they have to bribe a licence.

That's it you joke about your families and other families safety you jokers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

if they hadn't tried to force those already holding a driving licence to constantly be retested on renewal it was probably a step in the right direction

What they need are national approved examiners were applicants for a new driving licence must pay a fee and pass a driving test, (and of course a theory test as it is now) how they actually learn to drive is up to the individual, follow that up with anticorruption measures such as people who pretend to be learners trying to bribe examiners, those who accept a bribe to give a pass certificate get an automatic 10 year jail sentence -  simple

He's even quicker to withdraw than me when I'm done in bed....

we saw the police out there in full force  for 2-3 days last week

enforcing the " new/old regulations " there are nowhere to be

seen today...

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The new ministerial regulation was intended to set a new standard of road safety and to improve the discipline of car drivers, but came to the conclusion that thai driving has been high standard already and has been internationally been look up to as well.

Fixed that, seemd to end rather mid sentence to me.

"The regulation was strongly criticised." Well there's a surprise, eh?

The carnage on the roads every day, shows that people here can't drive, but more training to make things safer, is too much to ask from them apparently. :saai:

30 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

"The regulation was strongly criticised." Well there's a surprise, eh?

The carnage on the roads every day, shows that people here can't drive, but more training to make things safer, is too much to ask from them apparently. :saai:

they can drive and like I have said numerous times - if you ask a driver after they have caused an accident they will know exactly what they did wrong but ignored the rules - why ?  because they can and nobody is enforcing them (apart from the weather excuse were they believe heavy rain is somehow the cause of their careless driving )

A prime example is the laws about pedestrian crossings - asks 5 cops and you'll get 5 different answers, including:

- All vehicles must stop when they see pedestrians starting to cross and must wait until the pedestrian(s) have safely reached the other side. To...

- Vehicles are not required to stop, it's just a place where pedestrians can gather to wait in a group, to cross together when there's no traffic.

This subject seems to come up regularly with new exchange students from Europe (mostly German) make a comment about 'cars don't stop'.

On a couple of occasions Thai students have called the LTO and a police agency on speaker phone, and they got the above answers and more.

On one occasion a Thai student called her uncle, a very senior cop, his response was that 'there is no law on this subject' and further, 'it would be nice if the pedestrians waited for a gap in traffic so that they don't disrupt traffic flow'.

Edited by scorecard

2 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Best mode of transport for most of  the people of Thailand

They will still need to read the owners manual first :smile:

Did you ever see a Thai reading the owners manual? It's not necessary because they know everything already ...

2 hours ago, englishinsiam said:

Most people would just pay to get the licence.

I can't believe in different threads here I've seen westerners laughing about their wives/gf's that are so dreadful on the road they have to bribe a licence.

That's it you joke about your families and other families safety you jokers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's the police that are a joke.  Does it seem like they really care?

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

It's not rocket licence. Just enforce current laws and make offenders pay big fines with the vehicle impounded until the fine is paid. All unlicenced riders / drivers get a 5000 baht fine. 

Ah yes, lets talk about that next time I am confronted by a police inspector collector. 

200 baht should fix that.

3 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

If implemented the junta and their drivers will have to walk as they will not pass. Can't be so lets sink the regulations that will bring about a glimmer of hope of decreasing the slaughter on the roads.

I see the army in their Hummers often, they drive 80 on the fast lane and never move to the left lane. So i pass them on the left side.

They could start by teaching the soldiers how to drive properly...If they ever come to my homecountry and don't keep right they can expect a huge fine from the police...something like 800 euro easy. That's why in my homecountry nobody blocks the fast lane.

If one would drive against traffic he/she can expect huge problems and looses driverslicense on the spot plus huge fines of course.

Hey  start with basics People  should be tested for eyesight Whether they need glasses or not Not this ridiculous 

test for color  I do not know any other country that test for color blindness

And please do not tell me it's so they can see the green from the red in Traffic lights Anyone knows the way it works whether they are color blind  or not 

Just a silly test Test for real vision  The visual test are so outdated and irrelevant  it's laughable 

Being able to have people with bad vision  wear glasses is basic for driving and the drivers license should show this  and people need to be tested for this . This would reduce traffic fatalities without question 

But they do not Better tell if someone is colorblind. They will be able to tell if an emergency vehicle needs to pass  or its a tow truck ( sarcasm )

Give me a break 

Edited by realenglish1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

A prime example is the laws about pedestrian crossings - asks 5 cops and you'll get 5 different answers, including:

- All vehicles must stop when they see pedestrians starting to cross and must wait until the pedestrian(s) have safely reached the other side. To...

- Vehicles are not required to stop, it's just a place where pedestrians can gather to wait in a group, to cross together when there's no traffic.

This subject seems to come up regularly with new exchange students from Europe (mostly German) make a comment about 'cars don't stop'.

On a couple of occasions Thai students have called the LTO and a police agency on speaker phone, and they got the above answers and more.

On one occasion a Thai student called her uncle, a very senior cop, his response was that 'there is no law on this subject' and further, 'it would be nice if the pedestrians waited for a gap in traffic so that they don't disrupt traffic flow'.

Last night I stopped at a pedestrian crossing (in Wiang Pao Po, en route from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai).

A policeman, on a scooter overtook me!

Last night I stopped at a pedestrian crossing (in Wiang Pao Po, en route from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai).
A policeman, on a scooter overtook me!

Sure he overtook you. He was on duty.
Buying Som Tam for his colleagues... [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]