Warning: credit card fraud after using my card at Living Index Mall in Pattaya

Kitmakmak

I rarely ever use my credit card except for online purchases. But, I was in Living Index Mall the other day and used it to buy some furniture. About 24 hours later I got a notice from my bank of suspicious activity. Somebody had used my card details to buy computer software online in the US. Since I haven't used the card anywhere else and it was used fraudulently so soon after, I can only assume someone at Index used my details or sold them to someone else who used them. I alerted the store via their website (I'm currently out of country). We'll see if I get any response. I had a similar incident once before and neither the bank nor the police (Italian) were interested in pursuing the case. No charge responsibility for me, but have to go through the hassle of getting a new card.

Be careful

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the same done to me several times in the last year or so, and I had to replace my Visa card 3 times, I got some charges from several countries for thousands of dollars, but I fear not, as my Krung Sri bank covers me against all losses no questions asked....

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

Had the same done to me several times in the last year or so, and I had to replace my Visa card 3 times, I got some charges from several countries for thousands of dollars, but I fear not, as my Krung Sri bank covers me against all losses no questions asked....

I'm impressed as  I didn't think Thai banks covered any loses of their customers.

Had the same done to me several times in the last year or so, and I had
to replace my Visa card 3 times, I got some charges from several countries
for thousands of dollars, but I fear not, as my Krung Sri bank covers me
against all losses no questions asked....

That's a big improvement. I know of 2 people who lost money with their Thai credit cards (not krungsri) and the banks showed zero interest and they got no money back. Was a few years ago so good to know things are getting better.

Had a quick look at krungsricard.com and they do state they will be responsible for an amount not exceeding 50000.

22 minutes ago, poooket said:

That's a big improvement. I know of 2 people who lost money with their Thai credit cards (not krungsri) and the banks showed zero interest and they got no money back. Was a few years ago so good to know things are getting better.

Had a quick look at krungsricard.com and they do state they will be responsible for an amount not exceeding 50000.

It would be nice if there was a comparative listing of  banks in thailand that offer customer support for things like fraud and the likes.

4 minutes ago, james1995 said:

What sane person uses credit cards in thailand(carders paradise)??:shock1:   I'm afraid to even carry an atm card anymore without having it wrapped up in several layers of aluminum foil.

No need for such extreme measures. I just keep my ATM card under my tinfoil hat.

I am very perplex every time I read such stories... :unsure:

For many years I have to always confirm any online purchase with a code the bank send me by SMS, for all the cards I had, from different banks. Sometimes double check with 3-D Secure Visa or similar.  So are there still banks that don't use such systems ?

Also the CVV is required - at least with my cards - for any online use. So how is it possible that someone can so easily buy software online in the USA ??

:unsure:

10 hours ago, james1995 said:

What sane person uses credit cards in thailand(carders paradise)??:shock1:   I'm afraid to even carry an atm card anymore without having it wrapped up in several layers of aluminum foil.

I do, perhaps I am not sane.

I had some fraudulent purchases with my Kasikorn Visa card a few months ago. As I travel a lot I have no idea where it got hacked. I called an hour after it started and the card was blocked, I had to fill out a form stating the withdrawals that where not mine and they were cancelled. It took them more than 2 weeks to get me a new card and I'm still waiting for the pin code. I wouldn't take ti for granted that they always refund you, it has to be very obvious. I almost never use my credit card in Thailand as it's widely known for card fraud. Many years ago my foreign bank card even got hacked after using an AEON ATM, so even with ATM's you have to be picky I use only those in very well watched places and of the top banks.

Every time I use my UOB (Thai) credit card I get an SMS from the bank telling me a charge has been made to the card and the amount and telling me to contact the bank if it wasn't me - pretty simple and effective stuff really.

11 hours ago, james1995 said:

Same here, I think it was another TV member ( Bazza  )  who said it was best to have a metal covering around your CC.

So I wrap them in alfoil 5 times ...  and keep a 1 meter safety barrier from anyone ......   apparently they can get your details just by brushing past you. :shock1:

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Same here, I think it was another TV member ( Bazza  )  who said it was best to have a metal covering around your CC.

So I wrap them in alfoil 5 times ...  and keep a 1 meter safety barrier from anyone ......   apparently they can get your details just by brushing past you. :shock1:

I heard it was done telepathically, mind transfer and all that, you've gotta be careful out there. :sleepy:

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I heard it was done telepathically, mind transfer and all that, you've gotta be careful out there. :sleepy:

yeah right ....   so now I don't ever think about my CC when I'm in a line at an ATM ....  i just concentrate on sex :shock1:

Dont be stupid don't use a credit card or debit card in Thailand

for anything except when your very sure your who your doing

business with like a hotel or grocery store....

And online if I cant use paypal 99% of the time I do not buy....

Edited by fforest1

58 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I do, perhaps I am not sane.

Agree. I don't use my cards very often in Pattaya, but have at times at Friendship, Big C, Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, and even Index, etc and have never had a problem. There's a difference between being cautious and being paranoid.

3 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Dont be stupid don't use a credit card or debit card in Thailand

for anything except when your very sure your who your doing

business with like a hotel or grocery store....

And online if I cant use paypal 99% of the time I do not buy....

I've been using UK and Thai credit, debit and ATM cards for the fifteen years I've lived here and I've never had even one single problem, some people will be scared of their own shadow.

2 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Agree. I don't use my cards very often in Pattaya, but have at times at Friendship, Big C, Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, and even Index, etc and have never had a problem. There's a difference between being cautious and being paranoid.

you've never had a problem .....      do you wrap your cards in alfoil   ?    

22 minutes ago, steven100 said:

The Older cards had crude RFID type of chips and little circuits that could be remotely tickled.  The newer cards are supposed better.  Yeah well.  Makes me wonder how things like "speed pass" at gas stations work where you just put your card near the gas pump.

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

you've never had a problem .....      do you wrap your cards in alfoil   ?    

Reynolds works best but it's expensive, I'm considering buying a lead pouch to carry in my pocket but then I'll need to buy stronger braces because of the weight - it's a viscous cycle that could see me loose my pants.

11 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

For many years I have to always confirm any online purchase with a code the bank send me by SMS, for all the cards I had, from different banks. Sometimes double check with 3-D Secure Visa or similar.  So are there still banks that don't use such systems ?

Also the CVV is required - at least with my cards - for any online use. So how is it possible that someone can so easily buy software online in the USA ??

The CVV is clearly written on your card - anyone who handled it could have recorded it.

And yes there are banks, expect most, that do not require confirmation of online purchase with SMS.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

If they brush past me, the only thing in foil that might interest them is my leftover half sandwich from lunch.

Why would you call the police? The credit card company is the victim not you, and they build losses into their fees so they don't care either. Advise your cc company and move on.  They have an investigative team that will follow up if it's a significant incident. It's one of the benefits of using a cc. 

19 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I'm impressed as  I didn't think Thai banks covered any loses of their customers.

If you your card is a Visa Card issued by your Bank you are covered. Visa takes the hit not the Bank. 

12 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

The OP was not using it online.