Republican Congressman Says God Will 'Take Care Of' Climate Change

webfact

Republican Congressman Says God Will 'Take Care Of' Climate Change

Mahita Gajanan

A Republican congressman told his constituents that he believes God will "take care of" climate change if it proves to be a "real problem."

Michigan Rep. Tim Walberg said during a town hall in Coldwater, Mich., on Friday that while he believes climate change is real, it is not something for humans to solve.

"I believe there's climate change. I believe there's been climate change since the beginning of time," Walberg said. "Do I think man has some impact? Yeah, of course. Can man change the entire universe? No."

He continued: "Why do I believe that? Well, as a Christian, I believe that there is a creator in God who is much bigger than us. And I'm confident that, if there's a real problem, he can take care of it."

Full story: http://time.com/4800000/tim-walberg-god-climate-change/

-- TIME 2017-06-02

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People will be in a tizzy about this, but it would be illogical for someone to be a Christian and not believe God has control of the universe He created. The man is simply expressing his faith. Nothing wrong with that.

Cue the haters.

Thanks for the warm intro buddy. So should man not try to solve the cures of disease or let this guy's god take care of them? So man should not try to solve climate change but it is fine for us to cause it, is that right? I prefer to look at these things in a reasoned way so here is some news for this  delusional congressman, there is no god so we better cleanup what we caused!

"He continued: "Why do I believe that? Well, as a Christian, I believe that there is a creator in God who is much bigger than us. And I'm confident that, if there's a real problem, he can take care of it."

Tamborine banger? Isn't it about taxes and concessions?

8 minutes ago, pegman said:

Thanks for the warm intro buddy. So should man not try to solve the cures of disease or let this guy's god take care of them? So man should not try to solve climate change but it is fine for us to cause it, is that right? I prefer to look at these things in a reasoned way so here is some news for this  delusional congressman, there is no god so we better cleanup what we caused!

Good attempt at building a straw man, but I did not say any of that. The man is simply declaring his faith that ultimately God is in control.  He would be a hypocrite if he felt differently.  He also allowed that others would not agree with him. The man shows character, nothing less.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

People will be in a tizzy about this, but it would be illogical for someone to be a Christian and not believe God has control of the universe He created. The man is simply expressing his faith. Nothing wrong with that.

Cue the haters.

It is a lousy excuse to do nothing yourself, a lot wrong with that

54 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

I guess we can always build another ark.

Well, Greg Gianforte, body-slammer extraordinaire, claims Noah didn't sit around claiming Social Security benefits. No clue why he didn't bring the dinosaurs?

Greg Gianforte: Retirement Isn’t Biblical Because Noah Didn’t Retire

Not satisfied with funding a creationist museum that argues humans and dinosaurs wandered the earth together and bankrolling anti-gay, anti-human organizations like the Montana Family Foundation, Republican all-but-declared candidate for governor Greg Gianforte also believes that collecting Social Security violates biblical principles. From the Huffington Post:

There’s nothing in the Bible that talks about retirement. And yet it’s been an accepted concept in our culture today,” he said. “Nowhere does it say, ‘Well, he was a good and faithful servant, so he went to the beach.’ It doesn’t say that anywhere.” “The example I think of is Noah,” he continued. “How old was Noah when he built the ark? 600. He wasn’t like, cashing Social Security checks, he wasn’t hanging out, he was working. So, I think we have an obligation to work. The role we have in work may change over time, but the concept of retirement is not biblical.

Perhaps Mr. Gianforte should do some research about Social Security, a worker-funded, fiscally responsible system for ensuring that the elderly in this country do not face unbearable hardship and poverty. Given that people with Gianforte’s income don’t pay their fair share into the system, it makes sense that he may not understand it, but a candidate for public office should probably understand an incredibly popular program that ensures a basic standard of living for thousands of Montanans.

http://intelligentdiscontent.com/2015/06/09/greg-gianforte-retirement-isnt-biblical-because-noah-didnt-retire/

The man is simply declaring his faith that ultimately God is in control. 

So why serve in Congress and pass legislation? Won't God just take care of everything? 

Edited by mtls2005

You know what really gets me. Countries like China,Thailand etc still use coal a lot and nothing is said or done to address it.They care less about climate change just get trade and commerce and money. But if America says ok we will use coal too, then oh cannot have to consider the climate.. So China and Thailand be the exclusive users of coal without regard to climate change but America is restricted from using it.So what is being said is we tie up the hands of America so others can take advantage. Trump is calling this and bringing it to an end. Political correctness be damned get back to competing on a level field and if the climate is affected wait for China or Thailand or some other country to lead the way to stop it.Until they stop climate change will happen only America will suffer with job loss and trade loss until then unless they scrap all this effort to be stop climate change. Let the real polluters step forward and stop it or join them and send the earth to its last throes quicker but america will not be in poverty waiting for it as observers but as proactive participants.

Coal is an example but if Asian polluters keep polluting it will come to America anyways by sea,air etc. So why allow them to pollute and end it well we suffer.Push back.till they address it.

It's one thing for someone to have such beliefs, but highly dangerous to have someone holding such beliefs in a position of responsibility and who makes judgments based on such beliefs, rather than more reliable factual information and common sense. Gods way of dealing with the problem may well be to wipe everyone out and start again.

I posted the same in another thread but it applies here as well.

Climate change will be fixed by an invisible man in the sky who gave you 10 rules to follow and if you don't follow them you will be sent to a 'hell' where you will burn 'forever'  But, he loves you. Oh and by the way he needs money.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Good attempt at building a straw man, but I did not say any of that. The man is simply declaring his faith that ultimately God is in control.  He would be a hypocrite if he felt differently.  He also allowed that others would not agree with him. The man shows character, nothing less.

I may agree with the Congressman's faith but, within the full context of the Bible, man was given responsibility to look after God's creation. Everybody has a free will in that we make choices and are responsible for their results. This man's viewpoint of "God will do it all" is just as bad as "Where was God when such and such happened?"

Now if we consider the story in the Bible of the death of Jesus, the book says "God sent his son etc etc" but it was man who crucified him. The choice and responsibility to kill him was made by men.

We can not live as demigods, acting in our own self interests, and ignoring the fact that we live in relationship to the whole world. If we ignore the environment we live in, polluting it and destroying it for the sake of progress, then it is the height of hypocrisy for anyone, even Christians, to just say "God will take care of it."

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Yep, the country seems to be run by people like him.

The future looks bleak across  the Atlantic. Not much to gain there.

It is time to look east, it can only get better there for Europe.

Wasn't it God that sent the Black Plague and the Spanish Flu ?  Three or four billion less people would be a big step towards climate control. I know, that is a lot of people but God works in mysterious ways.

2 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

You know what really gets me. Countries like China,Thailand etc still use coal a lot and nothing is said or done to address it.They care less about climate change just get trade and commerce and money. But if America says ok we will use coal too, then oh cannot have to consider the climate.. So China and Thailand be the exclusive users of coal without regard to climate change but America is restricted from using it.So what is being said is we tie up the hands of America so others can take advantage. Trump is calling this and bringing it to an end. Political correctness be damned get back to competing on a level field and if the climate is affected wait for China or Thailand or some other country to lead the way to stop it.Until they stop climate change will happen only America will suffer with job loss and trade loss until then unless they scrap all this effort to be stop climate change. Let the real polluters step forward and stop it or join them and send the earth to its last throes quicker but america will not be in poverty waiting for it as observers but as proactive participants.

Coal is an example but if Asian polluters keep polluting it will come to America anyways by sea,air etc. So why allow them to pollute and end it well we suffer.Push back.till they address it.

" nothing is said or done to address it"

Totally incorrect, this is addressed in the Paris climate treaty.

"They care less about climate change just get trade and commerce and money."

Are you talking about Trump cs now?

The rest of your post is simply nonsense.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Reverend, Reverend, the church is on fire. Shall I call the fire brigade?

No need to do that son, God will take care of it.

What's that?  The church burned down?  Holy smoke!

Spike Jones.

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Cue the haters.

Haters? Don't have to "hate" to understand that the attitude, allowing that it is a personal religious view held by some, threatens the well being of all when held by elected representatives. The same faulty thinking is applied by some to human disease...god will handle it in the grand unknown plan... Of course, I note those folks do seek out science to address these issues on occasion...

2 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

You really should do some research before writing such utter rubbish.

China is and has been reducing its use of coal, and its emissions are actually on the decline.

Many of the countries involved had to be dragged to the table. America pulling out will tempt others to withdraw, all to the detriment of the planet.

This initiative needs strong leadership and America just proved it is unable to deliver.

http://www.wri.org/blog/2017/01/china’s-decline-coal-consumption-drives-global-slowdown-emissions

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

I posted the same in another thread but it applies here as well.

Climate change will be fixed by an invisible man in the sky who gave you 10 rules to follow and if you don't follow them you will be sent to a 'hell' where you will burn 'forever'  But, he loves you. Oh and by the way he needs money.

source,George Carlin!

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Cue the haters.

Not a hater, just zero tolerance for stupidity. This is the same "logic" that says that parents don't need to get their kid to a doctor because their "faith in God" will bring the needed cure. After all, God, as you indicate, "has control of the universe He created".

Let's go with that train of thought for a minute. Assuming that God does, indeed, control the entire universe, and that He is loving (as the evangelical "Christians" insist), and that he wants the best for "His people"...then why are Christians being slaughtered by ISIS? Why should we bother buying insurance...for anything? Why should we spend money on the military? After all, God is most certainly more powerful than any enemy, and these same "Christians" insist that America was "ordained" by God and founded on "Christian principles", ergo He will certainly look after the U. S.? Why should I look both ways before pulling out into traffic or crossing the street? Why should I bother doing anything proactive regarding my own safety and wellbeing...or that of my family?

This is the stupidity that runs rampant throughout fundamental "Christianity". According to "God Himself", he gave man dominion over the earth and made him the "steward" of creation (Genesis 2:15).

"steward:

noun
a person who manages another's property or financial affairs; one who administers anything as the agent of another or others."
So, God put man in charge and expected him to act responsibly and to care for the creation...not destroy or abuse it. 
     Numbers 35:33 "You shall not pollute the land in which you live..."
Seems the evangelicals are up to their usual tricks, cherry picking the verses and "beliefs" that support whatever it is that they do or don't want to do at the moment. Sorry, but if you really do believe that the bible is "God's Holy, infallible Word", then you have to live by all of it, not just the parts that make you feel warm and fuzzy in the moment.

let's root for Kim Jung Un.

the DPRK ain't Isreal and it ain't India.... they can share the success.

why??? am I nuts?

we would be a lot safer with a UN Security Council with no permanent members and no vetoes.  if there were more 'sovereign nations' with nuclear power... that would happen. in fact, is that not pretty much what the DPRK is seeking? and then forget gold, Yuan and Euros. the UN can have it's own fleet of blue aircraft carriers and print blue money to pay for them. a real global currency. that would work. and then we can go back to the 2015 Paris agreement... and get it done. for real.

not just talk and rant about it....... endlessly.

Edited by maewang99