Australian who fled accident scene and was chased by police hits and kills woman 50 in Udon

webfact

44 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

He would have avoided it if he hadn't driven away from the scene of his earlier accident. 

While not disagreeing in this instance, it is just a hop, skip and a jump to the conclusion that all accidents are 100% the fault of the farang involved - if they hadn't come to Thailand in the first place, the accident would never have happened.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irrespective of the time and space aspect of where he or they would have been, we are led to believe that he was involved in two or maybe even three collisions prior to this tragedy. This establishes a direct correlation between all incidents; the fact that he was involved in these other traffic incidents so soon before this appalling accident would suggest at least some inability to be in proper control of his car, so the fact that he fled from the previous incidents burdens him with a huge proportion of the  responsibility ….. 3 collisions, albeit minor ones, in a short space of time, and still pronouncing himself fit to drive ….. I don't think so

he was not going to be deterred from driving by a minor incident .... unfortunately it needed a catastrophe such as this to stop him .... so sad .... my condolences once again to the family 

Edited by Eloquent pilgrim

11 hours ago, giddyup said:

He doesn't appear to be going that fast and is the motorbike on the wrong side of the road? Just had a closer look, the motorbike pulls out right in front of him.

correct she may have been to busy looking backwards for the left side but doesnt excuse him not being aware of surroundings as we know you need 8 eyes in Thai

8 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

“Nauseating”  …. that’s your response to someone trying to understand and accept the way of life of a country they have decided to live in ….. nice; tolerance not your strong suit then.

As for the accident, it is clear that he does not brake at all, he obviously was not looking at the road ahead. It is not that much of a blind corner or bend, you can see both the pick up and the scooter clearly for several seconds before the impact, so they must have been able to see each other if they were looking.

So yes, we'll have to disagree on that one, but maybe we can agree on who was culpable for trying to drive off with the scooter, and I believe, the woman, trapped underneath the pick up …… 

Agree, not a blind corner i've had similar situations where i could pull up (thankfully the car is in A1 condition ) right to the point where i could see them calling for Budha

7 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

watch it again ..... after the initial impact his pick up comes to a halt on 14 seconds with the scooter, and apparently the woman, trapped underneath ...... it remains stationary for 9 seconds although you can see it moving up and down as if it is trying to move; then on 25 seconds it moves off with the scooter and victim still underneath, it then comes to a halt on the wrong side of the road at 31 seconds ..... looks conclusive to me ??

P.S. ..... I'm assuming you have been able to view all the footage which lasts 1 minute 29 seconds

Well that was all in the motions but i consider the bit where he finally comes to a stop then you see the steering move as he is trying to reverse to get back on the road then the cop shoots his tyres

7 hours ago, Boycie said:

From all the videos, photos and reports i have seen and read, i dont believe there was anyone trapped under the vehicle, only the motorcycle.

Exactly on an impact like that & the forces of the three into each other i would come to the same conclusion

11 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

correct she may have been to busy looking backwards for the left side but doesnt excuse him not being aware of surroundings as we know you need 8 eyes in Thai

yup ...... she made a fatal error off judgment, but he could not possibly have been looking ahead ..... he should have seen her from at least a couple of seconds before impact, but it is obvious that he did not touch his brake pedal ....... when a car brakes sharply, you witness a sudden dip of the nose of the vehicle, or a lowering on the suspension of the whole vehicle, or a mix of both of these visible clues ..... he smashed into the motorcycle without any braking whatsoever 

8 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Well that was all in the motions but i consider the bit where he finally comes to a stop then you see the steering move as he is trying to reverse to get back on the road then the cop shoots his tyres

sorry what do you mean "well that was all in the motions"  ........ his vehicle has ground to a halt with the motorcycle trapped underneath it, and he then tries to reverse before finally driving forward with the steering locked by the aforementioned motorcycle, which diverts him into the side of the road  ........ have you actually viewed the footage ??

5 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

sorry what do you mean "well that was all in the motions"  ........ his vehicle has ground to a halt with the motorcycle trapped underneath it, and he then tries to reverse before finally driving forward with the steering locked by the aforementioned motorcycle, which diverts him into the side of the road  ........ have you actually viewed the footage ??

Ah yes to your question because thats the way i see it where he is actually turning the steering to the right to reverse out of a situation on his right

4 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Ah yes to your question because thats the way i see it where he is actually turning the steering to the right to reverse out of a situation on his right

What point are you trying to make ...... I don't understand what you are trying to say; can you please say something more coherent and edify us all as to the issue you are trying to promote 

Bottom line, mate should've stopped after the initial collision(s) and owned up and rang the insurance. Then the tragedy that ensued could have been avoided. 

Not going to speculate about being unlicensed, uninsured OR being under the influence of drugs (prescribed or not) and/or alcohol (though one has to wonder why he would do a runner: a) he was out of it on his meds and didn't know he hit the vehicles in which case he shouldn't have been driving in the first place or B) he knew he shouldn't have been on the roads and tried to get away with one). 

For whatever reason, ol' matey didn't own up in the first instance (root cause) and everything that followed is incidental. I.e. if he had pulled over after the first incident two people wouldn't be dead and another struggling for his life. 

Trying to apportion blame to the victims and cops are moot points. 

1 minute ago, docshock13 said:

Bottom line, mate should've stopped after the initial collision(s) and owned up and rang the insurance. Then the tragedy that ensued could have been avoided. 

Not going to speculate about being unlicensed, uninsured OR being under the influence of drugs (prescribed or not) and/or alcohol (though one has to wonder why he would do a runner: a) he was out of it on his meds and didn't know he hit the vehicles in which case he shouldn't have been driving in the first place or B) he knew he shouldn't have been on the roads and tried to get away with one). 

For whatever reason, ol' matey didn't own up in the first instance (root cause) and everything that followed is incidental. I.e. if he had pulled over after the first incident two people wouldn't be dead and another struggling for his life. 

Trying to apportion blame to the victims and cops are moot points. 

I agree, i recon hes gone to town just before lunch seen quack & thought a few sherbets would the way to go whilst in town then planned to drop into the mall prior to going home at what 4.30 pm but all went tits up

y

20 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

I agree, i recon hes gone to town just before lunch seen quack & thought a few sherbets would the way to go whilst in town then planned to drop into the mall prior to going home at what 4.30 pm but all went tits up

Sad situation for everyone involved. A critical lapse of judgment (for whatever reason) cost many dearly. Just hope the young lad that survived gets the blood he needs and can recover.

3 minutes ago, anto said:

My take on seeing the video ,several times .He was driving too fast but had time to see her ahead and break but did not .

absolutely .... right on the money buddy ......... she unquestionably made a bad error of judgment, but a decent driver that was concentrating on the road ahead would have had enough time to avoid any collision, if he was looking ahead he would have had a minimum of 2 / 3 seconds to react ...... he does not react in any way shape or form (no dipping of the nose of the vehicle which happens with braking) ....... checking his mobile for SMS messages and the timing of them should be a priority for the police 

1 minute ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

absolutely .... right on the money buddy ......... she unquestionably made a bad error of judgment, but a decent driver that was concentrating on the road ahead would have had enough time to avoid any collision, if he was looking ahead he would have had a minimum of 2 / 3 seconds to react ...... he does not react in any way shape or form (no dipping of the nose of the vehicle which happens with braking) ....... checking his mobile for SMS messages and the timing of them should be a priority for the police 

Probably looking in his rear view mirror to check how far the Police were behind .They were chasing him as they turned up very quickly but were on slow 100 cc Honda dreams .

On 22/06/2017 at 3:09 AM, MrPatrickThai said:

Accidents can happen to sober people too, especially in Thailand. And death occurs often. 

Do you have any kids? If any of mine killed someone in a road accident, I wouldn't want them to go to jail  under any circumstances and would do all in my power to stop it, but that's just me.

having voiced a very strong opinion about your beliefs ........ when questioned, you seem to have adopted the  incommunicado default stance  ....... why am I not surprised 

44 minutes ago, anto said:

Probably looking in his rear view mirror to check how far the Police were behind .They were chasing him as they turned up very quickly but were on slow 100 cc Honda dreams .

Agreed. He was busy evading police at relatively high speed. Hence the lethal launch of bodies and moto lodged in the undercarriage (take a look at the damage to his pickup...impossible at reasonable speed).

In any case, this bloke broke the law in so many ways. I have been pulled up on speeding but I have never had the cops here or at home ever have to resort to shooting my tires out. 

This fella knew full well he shouldn't be on the road for one reason or another (hence the runner) and after the initial incident tried to get away with it. 

His inability/unwillingness to take responsibility in the first instance destroyed many lives in the tragic series of events that unfolded. 

Sympathy level for ol' matey=zero.

Agreed. He was busy evading police at relatively high speed. Hence the lethal launch of bodies and moto lodged in the undercarriage (take a look at the damage to his pickup...impossible at reasonable speed).
In any case, this bloke broke the law in so many ways. I have been pulled up on speeding but I have never had the cops here or at home ever have to resort to shooting my tires out. 
This fella knew full well he shouldn't be on the road for one reason or another (hence the runner) and after the initial incident tried to get away with it. 
His inability/unwillingness to take responsibility in the first instance destroyed many lives in the tragic series of events that unfolded. 
Sympathy level for ol' matey=zero.

Yep , there really is no winners here , he turned a bad situation into a disaster. Another family totally shattered. Hopefully 2 family's can rebuild in the future. RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 minutes ago, Blinky62 said:

Yep , there really is no winners here , he turned a bad situation into a disaster. Another family totally shattered. Hopefully 2 family's can rebuild in the future. RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I don't think for one moment he intended to cause the carnage that happened, but that is mitigation and not excuse.  I agree with the two previous posts.

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

He doesn't appear to be going that fast and is the motorbike on the wrong side of the road? Just had a closer look, the motorbike pulls out right in front of him.

The movement of the pickup after it had stopped after the initial collision was absolutely horrendous and unforgivable

The initial collision was 100% her fault 

May her and her son RIP

Best wishes for the other childs full recovery

11 hours ago, Boycie said:

From all the videos, photos and reports i have seen and read, i dont believe there was anyone trapped under the vehicle, only the motorcycle.

Yes Boycie, for sure but he was not party to that info

11 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

The initial collision was 100% her fault 

Really , I think they are both to blame here.   Observe the car from the beginning of the video , the speed is just way too high , yes she was trying to cross the road and was expecting the car to see her and slow down , a big mistake from her part. 

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Stop blaming the victim. 

Blame where blame is due, becoming a casualty of your own actions makes you just that, not a innocent victim 

Unless you are talking about the children but I do believe they were both passengers