Thai soldier who wowed the internet with his English skills turns out to be half Thai/ half Singaporean

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Yes, and...?

So...?

I work with a lot of Thais who are fluent in English. 

I'll let the press know about them. 

Should keep them in stories for months to come...

52 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I'm sorry you are so jaded you find that hard to believe. 

Nonetheless, it is true. 

20 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Not true that a Thai can not speak excellent English.

I know a Thai woman who was listening as I made a mistake and accidently deleted some information from my computer.

I swore at my computer when it happened.

She said to me in perfect English , "Don't  cuss at your computer, you're the one who made  the mistake".

She was right, but what surprised me more was that she knew and used the  English word cuss  correctly in a sentence.

I wish you two would stop making positive posts about Thais and Thailand.

You must know by now how much that upsets these superior posters who, (like me) are not fluent in both English and Thai to translation standards.

Unlike you and I they tend to seize every opportunity to denigrate Thailand and the Thai people and I am sure that for some of them it is their main reason for posting on TVF.

It makes me wonder sometimes, that if they believe that they are so superior and much more important than Thais and know far more than Thais, why they are bothering to live here in such a backward 3rd world, 3 rate country.

Since he is in an Artillery Regiment, we must assume that he not only can speak it remarkably fluently but also VERY LOUDLY.

Everyone knows gunners are mad and half deaf...

1 hour ago, z42 said:

Did anyone listen to what he said? Bigging up the commanders and talking about proud traditions ??

Wonder if this brown nosing is to compensate for his not being 100% Thai...

This dialogue is pretty normal in most countries, to some extent to reinforce the discipline needed for a military.

Saw  all of this myself as a national service recruit from Australia for the war in Vietnam. 

Just now, trogers said:

Not home grown...

Well, not homegrown enough: That actor Nadej? whose dad is Japanese is called half Thai (look kreung), my daughter is called Half-Thai, this Singaporean is identified by two nations: I pointed out one day that my father in law was look-krueng (Everyone was like "Maichai!!!") Anyway, his dad is Chinese (not Sino Thai), but 100% born and bred in China, Chinese. Anyway, my father in law is 100 Thai apparently, but my daughter and Nadej are look kreaung. Perceptions hey :whistling:

8 minutes ago, dcnx said:

The supreme PM should Article 44 Thailand into speaking English. He could probably knock it out over the weekend and then get back to creating the universe.

Thai could be world's new English, Prayuth says

On January this year the PM suggested the Thai language could become the world's international language to replace English. 

PM Prayuth gave an address encouraging children to embrace their language, which he assured could one day become the world’s common language.

No other proof is needed to show how completely deluded this military government is.

28 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Pure Thais are the best and know everything. One of them only told me so the other day.

This lad is only 50% so he is imperfect and therefore has to try other methods to make up for his shortcomings. His commander worshiping speeches should see him through.

Sad to say that the comment from parts of my Thai extended family would be:

-  'no thanks, blood not same as Thai'.

That would extend to 'he shouldn't be allowed to make a speech like this - he's not really Thai'.

Another on that's come up, when the Thai wife of a farang friend had a baby some years back - extended naive family pushed for the baby's blood to be replaced quickly with a blood transfusion of 'pure Thai blood'. The mother killed the discussion very quickly.

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

That would extend to 'he shouldn't be allowed to make a speech like this - he's not really Thai'.

Another on that's come up, when the Thai wife of a farang friend had a baby some years back - extended naive family pushed for the baby's blood to be replaced quickly with a blood transfusion of 'pure Thai blood'. The mother killed the discussion very quickly.

Reminds me of the M.A.S.H. episode where a white soldier would not allow them to transfuse him with black soldiers blood.

This is nothing. Anyone who thinks this is the greatest asslick in a generation hasn't listened to an American spout lyrical about greatest country on earth and democracy. The real blinding brainwash you will ever  receive will be when you meet an American soldier!  

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So are they going to kick him out of the Thai Army now that it's known he's really only a "halfie"???

After all, the day may come when Thailand will have to defend its honor against Singapore and all the other malevolent neighbors who could threaten the country's national security... :sleep:

It may be he cannot reach officer level because he is luk kreung. I'll stand corrected though.

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I would have quipped "it's an improvement over real Thai" 555. 

1 hour ago, SABloke said:

Well, not homegrown enough: That actor Nadej? whose dad is Japanese is called half Thai (look kreung), my daughter is called Half-Thai, this Singaporean is identified by two nations: I pointed out one day that my father in law was look-krueng (Everyone was like "Maichai!!!") Anyway, his dad is Chinese (not Sino Thai), but 100% born and bred in China, Chinese. Anyway, my father in law is 100 Thai apparently, but my daughter and Nadej are look kreaung. Perceptions hey :whistling:

Well, IMHO, the world be a lot better off if there were far more people who were 1/2 something, better still in quarters. We might see a bit more tolerance and understanding. ( not to forget the fact that the latte coloured people are generally better looking than 'full-bloods').

23 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

Well, IMHO, the world be a lot better off if there were far more people who were 1/2 something, better still in quarters. We might see a bit more tolerance and understanding. ( not to forget the fact that the

"latte coloured people are generally better looking than 'full-bloods')."

I take offence......I've been working on my suntan for ages....:)))

4 hours ago, RawboneFunksta said:

While it is true that studying abroad makes an enormous difference to the confidence and vocabulary of Thai students that is not necessarily a reflection on the innate intelligence of Thai students. Some learn from television and recently I encountered a person who scored level 9 in an IELTS exam who had done just that. Most native speakers do not score anything near to level 9.

9 out of how much?

12 minutes ago, thhMan said:

If anyone has kids in the school system here, then they will know how <deleted> up it is.

Every Thai that I know and speaks good English, seems to have spent a long time OS

Well, in that regard , one has to wonder : is the relatively low level of English a result of incompetence by those responsible for the teaching system, poorly motivated students...or, a more sinister take...to maintain a further measure of control over the population by restricting access to the international language? Perhaps a combination of these and other factors?

2 hours ago, masuk said:

Goes to show that some countries are quite successful in teaching English.

I'll be sure to tell my colleagues, who are not only fluent in English, but were also educated here, this news. 

4 hours ago, z42 said:

Did anyone listen to what he said? Bigging up the commanders and talking about proud traditions ??

Wonder if this brown nosing is to compensate for his not being 100% Thai...

Being what he is, could he become a NCO or an officer?

49 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

Well, in that regard , one has to wonder : is the relatively low level of English a result of incompetence by those responsible for the teaching system, poorly motivated students...or, a more sinister take...to maintain a further measure of control over the population by restricting access to the international language? Perhaps a combination of these and other factors?

You might be surprised to know how many Thai students don't want to learn English or don't see the reason why they should learn English.

15 minutes ago, hansnl said:

You might be surprised to know how many Thai students don't want to learn English or don't see the reason why they should learn English.

Yes ...and they used to call Korea the Hermit Kingdom. Thailand is the heir apparent.

55 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Sorry to read so many put downs for this. But I agree, the problem lies with the Thai Education Authority. Until they hire more native English speakers the problems will remain.

So called native English speakers are the problem. They have been teaching Thais English for decades. Nothing to show for it! Why would you want to add more of the same problem? Are you expecting a different result? What a laugh. :cheesy:

Edited by Machiavelli

8 minutes ago, Shroud said:

Did he study in South Africa, or learn the South African language? 

I wondered that, especially as there is no such language as 'South African'. The main languages there are English and Afrikaan.

Shows the level of English the reporter has.