How do you rate MG cars sold in Thailand?

davidst01

I was looking in the MG showroom today and comparing prices to Honda. It seems that MG are a bit cheaper. I think the new 1.5 litre turbo X (MGS) looks quite smart. 

Does anyone have any knowledge on this brand? English brand... surely must be quality!

thanks

1 hour ago, seajae said:

wifes cousin has one, not impressed at all, all you are doing is paying for the name as the components are no longer made up to their original standards

Who's not impressed? You are the wife's cousin?

Please God's of TV, don't let this thread descend into another googled picture gallery of MG's of yore.

Edited by NanLaew

7 minutes ago, Henryford said:

English brand ha ha. The MG is a crap car using an old but great British name which they just bought and slapped on their lemons.

Ummm... we already got that on the 2nd post but thanks for your unique, constructive and informative approach to answering the OP's questions.

Edited by NanLaew

One has to wonder why Chinese manufacturers continue to use this tactic of acquiring a foreign (anything from Japanese to German) brand name and badging their products with them. It is clear they are trying to dissociate from the Chinese source of the product.

Why do you think that might be? What is it that consumers are wary about when buying Chinese? What is it that makes Chinese manufacturers coy about revealing themselves?

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

One has to wonder why Chinese manufacturers continue to use this tactic of acquiring a foreign (anything from Japanese to German) brand name and badging their products with them. It is clear they are trying to dissociate from the Chinese source of the product.

Why do you think that might be? What is it that consumers are wary about when buying Chinese? What is it that makes Chinese manufacturers coy about revealing themselves?

Perhaps the Chinese are using their head, after all an Indian company now owns Jag and Rover, that really must put a feather in their cap, the great name connection...

I was looking in the MG showroom today and comparing prices to Honda. It seems that MG are a bit cheaper. I think the new 1.5 litre turbo X (MGS) looks quite smart. 

Does anyone have any knowledge on this brand? English brand... surely must be quality!

thanks

How ironic. I was looking in the MG showroom today in Udon particularly at the MG5

The guy told me they are now assembled in Rayong. He did say the name of the company but i forget.

A couple of people I know who have the MG3 have spoken highly of them. As you say cheaper than the Honda.

The reviews I've read on the MG5 say the new turbo engine is better all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I was an MG fan in my early driving career and had a 1965 MGB roadster for 40 years in original condition 146000 miles.

The new models look sharp in my opinion and we have a dealership in my town. They seem to be selling quite well judging by the number I see on the roads but if you want quality buy Toyota or Honda....nothing else compares, not even Merc or BMW for reliability.

24 minutes ago, retarius said:

I was an MG fan in my early driving career and had a 1965 MGB roadster for 40 years in original condition 146000 miles.

The new models look sharp in my opinion and we have a dealership in my town. They seem to be selling quite well judging by the number I see on the roads but if you want quality buy Toyota or Honda....nothing else compares, not even Merc or BMW for reliability.

I had a 1964 MGB Roadster, fun car, but for those who don't know it was powered by the same engine put in British Motor Corporation saloon cars of the era, the "B" engine...Nothing MG special about it..    

Just now, Lamkyong said:

probably better quality now than when  B.L.were sticking them together  (if you were lucky)

hence the sayings about FRIDAY cars

Actually you  can buy a brand new MGB Roadster in 2017...Not sure what engine they use without looking...

This China made MGs are way better quality than the GB ones in the 60- 70ies and compares to Honda and other Asian Brand Cars. I was driven 4 Weeks a new MG from a Friend here in TH as he was staying in Europe and i was waiting for my ordered Mazda and hey, its a great Car with all the little Helper for convenient driving. No difference to the competitors. And finally: Volvo is a chinese Brand too:whistling:

Edited by ujayujay

MG's  had a certain cachet when made in Britain. However, they were not without problems -  I understand the twin carburettors were not easy to get in sync, and slipped out of tune sometimes. The MGA and MGB was the heyday of the brand,

The problem with cars of Chinese manufacture is they still fall a long way short of the quality standards achieved by the Japanese, who single-handedly made serious inroads into the American market. It's ironic that conquest was initiated by an American, W. Edwards Deming. The American auto industry wouldn't listen to him until it was too late.

This China made MGs are way better quality than the GB ones in the 60- 70ies and compares to Honda and other Asian Brand Cars. I was driven 4 Weeks a new MG from a Friend here in TH as he was staying in Europe and i was waiting for my ordered Mazda and hey, its a great Car with all the little Helper for convenient driving. No difference to the competitors. And finally: Volvo is a chinese Brand too:whistling:

Which model was this?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

24 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

The test reports say otherwise.

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I think you might be surprised how much Chinese stuff you own.

If you own a phone or a laptop or a television there is a good chance it was built in China.

Most manufacturers of industrial electrical equipment have factories in China. It might say Siemens or ABB on the box ....but made in China.

The days of low cost equalling low quality are pretty well done if you stick to reputable brands. No different to the mindset of Japanese junk in the 1950's and 60's. Now they make some of the best equipment in the world.

Don't discount South Korean cars either. I have  a Kia in Australia. 7 years and unlimited mileage warranty. No many manufacturers can boast that. They used to be crap twenty five years ago but not any more.

Edited by tryasimight

I bought an MG5  in January last year.  Top of the range, automatic, sunroof, black leather seats.  After 18 months low to average use, both my wife and I love it.  She drives it as well.  The car is comfortable, reliable, and as we intend to keep it for many years the resale value isn't a problem.  My daughter is hanging her nose over the MG3.  We'll see about that  when she graduates!