Windows 10 1803 Spring Update.....Marvelous!

Formaleins

As the MS notice says, "....that some devices...may hang or freeze...using certain apps such as Chrome."

Like most operating system issues, some folks are affected; others are not with the millions of different possible hardware and software configurations Windows is running on.

• Like 1

As I mentioned earlier up until 1803 I've always upgraded to the next version of Win 10 on day one of its public release.  On day one of public release I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 ver 1507...then.to 1511...to 1607...to 1703...and to 1709.   Each update to the next version number within without issue or just minor issues which I figured out how to fix or MS released a patch withing a few weeks to fix. 

Although my upgrade to ver 1709 initially went OK on both my Lenovo laptops a few months later after some more MS monthly updates I started having intermittent problems on both laptps in being able to do a "Restart" without ending up with a BSOD.   This was apparently being caused the the Windows Installer Module Worker which runs to do periodic Windows maintenance and installs could not properly shut itself down when a person initiated a Restart.  End result a BSOD...Windows couldn't find the drive Windows was loaded on....I then had to revert to a Restore Point to get the laptops going again.  Multiple malware scans with various malware/antivirus apps showed both laptops clean.   I was not alone in having this problem per my googling/research and my chat session with MS Support.   I had to do a Reset of Computer (i.e., basically a reinstall of Win 10) on both laptops in Dec 17 to fix the Restart/BSOD problem with 1709...and this also involved me reloading some of my software....but both computers been fine since.

So, this time around and for the first time I've turned on 35 day update pause in my Win 10 Pro to give ver 1803 a little more time to mature and get unexpected problems (unexpected to MS) identified/patched before I update to 1803 in about another month.  I'm now really appreciating the pause updates capability in the Pro version.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Is Windows 10 very easy to use compared to Windows 7 ? Is Windows 10 64 bit not 32? As does Windows 10 come with Media Movie Maker ?

Windows 7 is much better. On one of my laptops i "upgraded" the OS from W10 to W7.

1 hour ago, Mitkof Island said:

Is Windows 10 very easy to use compared to Windows 7 ? Is Windows 10 64 bit not 32? As does Windows 10 come with Media Movie Maker ?

Win 10 will be kinda of a shock to someone who has been using Win 7.  But after a few weeks the shock is gone as you get use to Win 10....and wonder why you didn't switch a lot earlier.

Win 10 comes in 32 or 64 bit....which version you install depends on whether your hardware/computer is 32 or 64 bit.

MS discontinued support for Windows Movie Maker in Jan 17, but I guess you can still download it from various sites.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Win 10 will be kinda of a shock to someone who has been using Win 7.  But after a few weeks the shock is gone as you get use to Win 10....and wonder why you didn't switch a lot earlier.

Win 10 comes in 32 or 64 bit....which version you install depends on whether your hardware/computer is 32 or 64 bit.

MS discontinued support for Windows Movie Maker in Jan 17, but I guess you can still download it from various sites.

The biggest difference comes in when reinstalling it. It is more compatible with older hardware. The PC reset option is a lifesaver compared the old option of having to clean install.

• Like 1

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but have read some great posts with good advice.

I've updated quite a few to 1803 now, but the last machine, an older one just stopped when installing the updates at 75 %. A dark monitor for an hour showed me that there's something wrong and I did a restart, and it continued at 75 %, but finally installed 100 % and worked well.

I thought it might help people who've got the same problem. Don;t forget to create a new System restore Point!!!

On 5/5/2018 at 2:52 PM, Henryford said:

Windows 7 is much better. On one of my laptops i "upgraded" the OS from W10 to W7.

Sounds like riding on a buffalo is better than to drive a Lamborghini to me. You don't use computers often, do you? 

Edited by somtamjames

On 5/5/2018 at 1:58 PM, Mitkof Island said:

32 bit is often also called 86. But 64 is always 64 bit. The good thing about using 64 bit is that you can use 32 bit, as well as 64 bit programs. 

Hmm, interesting that many on here have already installed the 1803 update, yet this is still not showing up as outstanding on my laptop for some mysterious reason.

But, of course, this month's "Patch Wednesday" is due this week, so maybe I'll be presented with this particular "delight" then!

37 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Hmm, interesting that many on here have already installed the 1803 update, yet this is still not showing up as outstanding on my laptop for some mysterious reason.

But, of course, this month's "Patch Wednesday" is due this week, so maybe I'll be presented with this particular "delight" then!

Here's what's new in 1803:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/whats-new-windows-10-version-1803

Here's the manual download link, just click update now:

It can take up to two hours. First it downloads it, then installs it while you can still use your machine. But the set up is like a new Windows installation. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

1 hour ago, somtamjames said:

then installs it while you can still use your machine. But the set up is like a new Windows installation. 

Sorry but you CANNOT use the PC while it is installing. And it IS a new Windows installation.

13 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry but you CANNOT use the PC while it is installing. And it IS a new Windows installation.

It's first downloading 1803, then installing.( And you can still use it). Once that's done a restart and you can't do anything than wait. 

6 hours ago, somtamjames said:

It's first downloading 1803, then installing.( And you can still use it). Once that's done a restart and you can't do anything than wait. 

You cannot use it while it is INSTALLING. You can while it is DOWNLOADING

15 hours ago, wgdanson said:

You cannot use it while it is INSTALLING. You can while it is DOWNLOADING

I think what @somtamjames is referring to is the download sequence for 1803 while looking at the Update settings. 

After clicking on Check for Updates in the Update & Security section, the machine will start downloading 1803, showing a percentage of the progress. When this reaches 100% it will then start installing, again showing a percentage progress until it reaches 100%. After this is complete, you will need to reboot and the 'final' install and configuration will be completed.

You wouldn't be aware of this 'first' install progress unless you were looking in Updates & Security. During this time, somtamjames is correct and you can still use the operating system.

I am guessing MS are updating what they can during this time (without needing to reboot) and completing the other updated components after the reboot to show a faster install period as they have been advertising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chrisinth said:

I think what @somtamjames is referring to is the download sequence for 1803 while looking at the Update settings. 

After clicking on Check for Updates in the Update & Security section, the machine will start downloading 1803, showing a percentage of the progress. When this reaches 100% it will then start installing, again showing a percentage progress until it reaches 100%. After this is complete, you will need to reboot and the 'final' install and configuration will be completed.

You wouldn't be aware of this 'first' install progress unless you were looking in Updates & Security. During this time, somtamjames is correct and you can still use the operating system.

I am guessing MS are updating what they can during this time (without needing to reboot) and completing the other updated components after the reboot to show a faster install period as they have been advertising.

Isn't that what I said. DOWNLOADING you still use the PC, once INSTALLATION begins you cannot. Simple.

Assuming a person is not forcing the ver 1803 update (i.e.., using Media Creation Took, downloading the ISO) which drives an old style installation process for ver 1803 some of "preliminary installation" above and beyond the downloading is done before the restart where the 2nd phase of the installation occurs.   During this preliminary installation (phase 1) you can still use your computer.   Then to finalize the installation a restart must occur where the installation continues (phase 2).  It's a two phase process above and beyond the downloading process.  It's a different process from before where durn near all of the installation was done after the download & restart....pretty much a one phase process.  

See weblink below and partial quotes for more info.

https://windows101tricks.com/windows-10-feature-update-will-install-in-less-than-30-minutes/

Microsoft has implemented some measures to speed up the installation of the largest updates, acting on the two phases of installation online and offline, leaving to the first some operations that were carried out so far in the second. This process refinement made it possible to lower the average update time up to about 30 minutes. That means upcoming windows 10 April 2018 update Version 1803 Will Install within 30 Minutes.

image.png.4c420f5f35907ddbdead55c805981a20.png

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

Assuming a person is not forcing the ver 1803 update (i.e.., using Media Creation Took, downloading the ISO) which drives an old style installation process for ver 1803 some of "preliminary installation" above and beyond the downloading is done before the restart where the 2nd phase of the installation occurs.   During this preliminary installation (phase 1) you can still use your computer.   Then to finalize the installation a restart must occur where the installation continues (phase 2).  It's a two phase process above and beyond the downloading process.  It's a different process from before where durn near all of the installation was done after the download & restart....pretty much a one phase process.  

See weblink below and partial quotes for more info.

https://windows101tricks.com/windows-10-feature-update-will-install-in-less-than-30-minutes/

image.png.4c420f5f35907ddbdead55c805981a20.png

Thanks pib for your explanation. But just thinking, if someone cannot do without their PC for an hour, as opposed to 30 minutes, they obviously need more T-bags.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Isn't that what I said. DOWNLOADING you still use the PC, once INSTALLATION begins you cannot. Simple.

I think Pib gives the correct wording in the post after yours above.

Edit: See you have responded to Pib's post.............................:thumbsup:

Edited by chrisinth

Just a word of warning to anyone who clean installed Windows 10 without upgrading from a previous Windows installation, if you don't have an activation key:

I installed version 1803 a couple of days ago and started getting messages as follows: "Your Windows licence will soon expire". It has been good for 3 years until I updated to 1803. Now the only solution is buying a licence for this machine... 

No problem on the other machines which I upgraded. I had Windows 7 on that machine too - big mistake but too late now.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, tropo said:

Just a word of warning to anyone who clean installed Windows 10 without upgrading from a previous Windows installation, if you don't have an activation key:

I installed version 1803 a couple of days ago and started getting messages as follows: "Your Windows licence will soon expire". It has been good for 3 years until I updated to 1803. Now the only solution is buying a licence for this machine... 

No problem on the other machines which I upgraded. I had Windows 7 on that machine too - big mistake but too late now.

Purchased one for three quid off of eBay a few days ago.  Worked a treat.

Edited by Unsane

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

When I was updating my home PC, I actually took a screenshot of what we were talking about (downloading v installing in the initial stages) as I hadn't seen this before with any other major system updates. Download first then Installing:

5af19d3ebbfb9_1803update.jpg.4e52eebb61783577b1fdc32a859b0d90.jpg

Just to show what I meant in my original explanation. (I thought I'd ditched the snap)

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

Well, today is Patch Tuesday/8 May when the 1803 is suppose to become available to the masses by the built-in Windows update check.  That is, Windows doing its automatic daily check for updates unless the daily check has been paused/deactivated/delayed/etc;....not where a person initiates an update check like clicking Check for Updates or forces 1803 download/install some other way. 

I think MS normally opens the patch/update barn door around 10am U.S. Pacific Time which is midnight in Thailand since Thailand time is 14 hours ahead of Pacific Time right now.   So, I expect the first few seconds of 9 May here in Thailand....a little less than 4 hours from now....the update will be made available through the normal update process.

Expect that is when much more Win 10 users cross-feed will hit the social media circuits....cross-feed from a lot of folks that are novices with Windows...folks who did not actively seek out earliest install of the latest version....probably a lot of folks who knew nothing of a pending new major update of Win 10.   

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, the 35 day pause setting on the Pro version works which I set to pause on 29 Apr since I don't want the 1803 update right now....give it a month or so to mature.  Give MS some more time to issue some patches for whatever problems "some" people may have with 1803...problems which a person may or may not notice.   

Was wondering if it would really work to keep 1803 out...apparently it has...at least on day one of release to the normal update method.  That is, a person not forcing the update by clicking Check for Updates, downloading the ISO, etc.

Yeap, my Win 10 did its automatic update check a few minutes after I turned the computer on this morning...it shows it did the update check...no updates found...computer up to date....I check my other computer later which also has the paused turn on but it should be OK also.     See snapshots below.

Assuming MS did indeed open the 1803 barn door worldwide about 9 hours ago Thailand time...the first second of 9 May in Thailand...with the update pause setting turned on the daily automatic update check is leaving 1803 in the MS barn until my 35 day pause is up on 4 Jun.   But I may turn it off before 4 Jun and let the 1803 install based on users cross-feed and how MS reacts to that cross-feed.

image.png.82c81de0ea88d5846d663abf3a096b26.png

image.png.00f5c20c25789e7773bd08f0eb074efe.png

13 hours ago, Pib said:

Expect that is when much more Win 10 users cross-feed will hit the social media circuits....cross-feed from a lot of folks that are novices with Windows...folks who did not actively seek out earliest install of the latest version....probably a lot of folks who knew nothing of a pending new major update of Win 10.   

I did my two main PCs, a desktop and a laptop, several days ago via a regular Windows Update check, and everything seems fine (no issues that I've noticed) in the wake of the update. The desktop is about 5 years old, and the laptop is about 1.5 years old.

• Like 1