British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Unfortunately, as a signatory to the Official Secrets Act, which I am still bound by, I am unable to reveal details of my occupation.

You misunderstood - as soulbundy has already pointed out.

The poster was referring to the brit. embassy bullshitter on the radio interview.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Thai Immigration won't accept such information. they want an embassy letter, so Brits are still "up the creek without a paddle".

My post was in relation to my to my own personal experience on getting a retirement visa in my home country Thai Embassy Canberra.  It is accepted in Australia by the Embassy because the statement forms part of a signed stat dec which is part of the application.  If you make a false declaration with a JP in Australia for any reason you can go to gaol for up to 4 years,   An Australian stat dec in Thailand isn't worth the paper it is written on.  There is a difference.  I think the same applies in the UK  and the B/E Embassy in Bangkok is really UK soil.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Which form? The 2 in the topic you replied to say nothing about the embassy.

On the application form on the Australian Thai Embassy web site. or for the other 150 countries.  You place the arrow of your mouse on the link I have provided and press the button and up comes "The Thai Embassy web site" and then in the simple space provide you write the name of the country you want to know about.  Then from the options available you go to Retirement Visa and would you believe up comes everything you want to know how to get a Thai Retirement Visa in Australia (the same all over the World, a few exceptions).

Most of the information I have written about is verbatim from the Thai Embassy http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa.  It's a very well set out web site and simple...11 out of 10 for the Thais on this one.

Edited by David Walden

Maybe you should use "the correct terminology" too ? :wink:
These are not "Extensions of a Visa" but extensions of the "Authorisation of Stay" that your visa allowed you when you entered in Thailand. [emoji99]
If you like dude.
My point obviously was that you can't possibly begin to get continuous annual extensions without beginning with an O or OA visa. Cheers.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

24 minutes ago, David Walden said:

My post was in relation to my to my own personal experience on getting a retirement visa in my home country Thai Embassy Canberra.  It is accepted in Australia by the Embassy because the statement forms part of a signed stat dec which is part of the application.  If you make a false declaration with a JP in Australia for any reason you can go to gaol for up to 4 years,   An Australian stat dec in Thailand isn't worth the paper it is written on.  There is a difference.  I think the same applies in the UK  and the B/E Embassy in Bangkok is really UK soil.  

The Commonwealth of Australia statdec form says [and I haven't got a State or Territories one so don't know what THEY say]: "A person who intentionally makes a false statement in a statutory declaration is guilty of an offence, the punishment for which is imprisonment for a term of 4 years ... ". Nothing there about 'up to 4'. I'm not sure what leeway if any a magistrate might have in that regard.

I also note that, contrary to what you imply, a statdec taken out on Australian territory - ie embassy or consulate - has the same force as if it were taken out in Australia itself. What the Thais might make of that is one for them, and probably remains as much a mystery to them as it is to us.

Why would anyone in Britain care about problems British pensioners have in Thailand?
I'm sure there have been problems for pensioners retired in other countries, but, I've never read, seen, or heard about them.
Worth a try I s'pose, but, it's a real long-shot.
You're wrong. I've seen many UK news items about the concerns Brits in the UN regarding health care access after Brexit.

51 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Did you look at what it says on the application form?

Here is the Sydney consulate application form and as mentioned previously, it says nothing about "only Embassy". You are maybe refering to an application form from the Canberra embassy.

https://thaiconsulatesydney.org/docs/forms/visitor-visa/visa-application-form.pdf

6 minutes ago, David Walden said:

On the application form on the Australian Thai Embassy web site. or for the other 150 countries. 

I have been on that website and many other embassy and official thai consulate websites.

As wrote before the official Thai consulates such as Sydney can issue a OA visa.

Have look at this site that shows all the Thai embassies and official consulates. http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/

Choose one of the official consulates and click image.png.bbf403b42eacd60835c6c85716006d15.png and you will see they also can issue OA visas.

On 10/8/2018 at 1:59 PM, mok199 said:

My Canadian embassy told me they too will stop, I went for my letter of income lastweek and the woman at my Canadian embssy  BKK ,(who has been their for years) told me this was coming ,I asked why ,she replied ''too much paper work''.2 days latter when I went to immigration in Pattaya(with my letter of income) to renew my visa, my wife was approached by an immigration officer ''next year when your husband needs his retirement visa ,come and see me '' and he quoted her a price.. hmmmm

????????

We understand that the British Embassy in Bangkok will no longer be providing British nationals with letters comfirming their income from 1 January 2019.

The Australian Embassy does not issue income letters. Our national services include the witnessing of Australian statutory declarations for Australian citizens, or for use in Australia. This process remains unchanged. Good Australian embassy they understand th

e word statutory declaration. Maybe you brits should advise the british consul.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Thai Immigration won't accept such information. they want an embassy letter, so Brits are still "up the creek without a paddle".

21 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Gee at last someone out of the 1000 or so post so far are getting the message.

So you agree that even though the brit. embassy's requirements to obtain a proof of income letter were more onerous than most (?) other nations, they've left more than a few citizens 'up the creek without a paddle'?

I'm suprised, as I thought you supported the embassies unilateral move on this issue?

Thinking about it, it seems more likely that you don't care about those brit citizens that have been left in the shit by their embassy.....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're wrong. I've seen many UK news items about the concerns Brits in the UN regarding health care access after Brexit.

That comes under Brexit which is definitely a "hot topic".

Don't think they would give a crap about pensioners in Thailand. They would presume that they would all be rich if they could afford to live in Thailand. Mark my words; there'll be no sympathy from Brits living in the UK.

3 hours ago, doctormann said:

Obtaining proof is not the problem as I guess that most of us could do that.

The Issue is that, in the case of UK ex-pats, the BE will no longer be involved in providing that proof and, as it stands at the moment, there is  nothing apart from the Embassy letter that is acceptable to Immigration.

Even blind Freddie could tell you that the B/E is not comfortable giving you a letter of proof about your financial position because he has no way of knowing if the information you give them is true.  They maybe using their good name ( good faith) to support fake information.  Could be all pork pies which rimes with l ..... It all might turn out for the better in the long run because the Thais may have to review what they consider as proof of assets and income from applicants to keeps things humming along in the future.  We all know the whole system as it is now is just a dogs dinner.   The new Thai immigration minister i believe.  Army Major General maybe he'll make a difference, I hope.

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, David Walden said:

We all know the whole system as it is now is just a dogs dinner. 

And a dog's breakfast as well, and I'm not telling porkies either! ????

IMO, the whole lot is a mess, but I can see why the Thai authorities want something simple at their end and are not wanting to check pages of bank statements as others have suggested as an alternative to the BE letter.

For me it is back to the 800k route, and even the IO on Friday when I went to get my retirement extension, looked at pages of bank statements, the bank letter, the Income statements from two embassies, then calculated the amounts from pounds and dollars to baht...…...sighed and looked up and said to me, "next year better to get the 800k in your bank". 

Would have to agree.

• Like 2

Even blind Freddie could tell you that the B/E is not comfortable giving you a letter of proof about your financial position because he has no way of knowing if the information you give them is true.  They maybe using their good name ( good faith) to support fake information.  Could be all pork pies which rimes with l ..... It all might turn out for the better in the long run because the Thais may have to review what they consider as proof of assets and income from applicants to keeps things humming along in the future.  We all know the whole system as it is now is just a dogs dinner.   The new Thai immigration minister i believe.  Army Major General maybe he'll make a difference, I hope.
Facts. Thai immigration have done nothing.
Why are farang dreaming they Will overhaul the system without any proof whats so ever

• Like 2

How about this for a slightly simpler alternative that would make less work for Immigration but would still provide 'proof' that the required funds had made their way into a Thai bank account:

If we assume, for the moment, that there is no requirement for the monthly deposits to all be exactly 65k/40k then surely all that is required is for the bank to certify that, over the preceding 12 months, the total deposits to the account have amounted to, or have exceeded, the minimum required annual amount.  I'm sure that Immigration can divide by 12 if they need the average monthly amount.

This may be too simplistic - I don't know how the Immigration mind set works - but I can't see any problem with it.  After all, it is only the monthly deposits that matter.  Any  withdrawals - for living expenses or whatever - are irrelevant.  There is nothing to say that the monthly deposits cannot be spent.  Immigration, therefore, don't need a detailed bank statement at all, just the annual summary.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Yes, and that summary is exactly what the Embassy provided and will no longer provide.

It is upto the Thai Imm to specify what, if any, alternate "summary" they will accept.

Whilst doctormann's post seems a logical solution, if the onus is on the Thai immigration dept to do something, then we probably know what it will be...……...sweet FA (but of course I hope not).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doctormann said:

// then surely all that is required is for the bank to certify that, over the preceding 12 months, the total deposits to the account have amounted to, or have exceeded, the minimum required annual amount.  I'm sure that Immigration can divide by 12 if they need the average monthly amount.

If Immigration was allowing that, there would be nearly nobody continuing to use the 800k option. Why deposit a "big" amount during 3 months when you can do with just "small" ones, 65k average, along the year ?

• Like 1

How about this for a slightly simpler alternative that would make less work for Immigration but would still provide 'proof' that the required funds had made their way into a Thai bank account:

If we assume, for the moment, that there is no requirement for the monthly deposits to all be exactly 65k/40k then surely all that is required is for the bank to certify that, over the preceding 12 months, the total deposits to the account have amounted to, or have exceeded, the minimum required annual amount.  I'm sure that Immigration can divide by 12 if they need the average monthly amount.

This may be too simplistic - I don't know how the Immigration mind set works - but I can't see any problem with it.  After all, it is only the monthly deposits that matter.  Any  withdrawals - for living expenses or whatever - are irrelevant.  There is nothing to say that the monthly deposits cannot be spent.  Immigration, therefore, don't need a detailed bank statement at all, just the annual summary.

Why can't we show deposits in a foreign bank? There has never been a requirement before to import all of the claimed income. Whether monthly or in chunks that would represent a new and very negative requirement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Why can't we show deposits in a foreign bank? There has never been a requirement before to import all of the claimed income. Whether monthly or in chunks that would represent a new and very negative requirement.

Indeed, why not?

My UK bank provides me with annual summaries as a matter of course, as well as detailed statements.

Immigration could just apply the appropriate exchange rate on the day to convert to Baht.  Not acceptable, of course.

• Like 1

Ok , Its easy to say use Transferwise to move the 4/800k to your Thai bank account but how do you send it back after the 3 months . It is starting to feel a little uncomfortable with the moving of goal posts in an unstable country and so the least amount of financial commitment here the better . Who knows what the next surprise may be .

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, superal said:

Ok , Its easy to say use Transferwise to move the 4/800k to your Thai bank account but how do you send it back after the 3 months . It is starting to feel a little uncomfortable with the moving of goal posts in an unstable country and so the least amount of financial commitment here the better . Who knows what the next surprise may be .

My plan is to use that money as my income for the rest of the year and leave my pension accruing in my UK bank account.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VYCM said:

Ok, who do you believe?

1.       A professional

2.        image.png.263f4a48613721597db114da6818aa86.png

A no-brainer I think. The so-called "professional" in this particular instance is clearly a moron who doesn't have a clue as to what she is talking about. How can anyone in their right mind seriously believe any of the pathetic BS nonsense which has emanted from her lips?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wayned said:

The current directive regarding monthly payments does not require that they be deposited in a Thai Bak account, only that you are receiving this amount.    Unless the regulation is changed they cannot require that the payments be deposited in a Thai Bank account.

Do you have a link to this directive, please? I would be delighted to pass it on to the lady at the British Embassy and point out just how wrong her reasoning is!

10 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Do you have a link to this directive, please?

I would be delighted to pass it on to the lady at the British Embassy and point out just how wrong her reasoning is!

This has been posted many times already, but here it is :

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22 (click on Eng on the top of the page for English version)

• Like 2