The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

United XI vs Reading: Romero, Dalot, Young, Jones, Darmian, Fred, Pereira, McTominay, Mata, Sanchez, Lukaku.

Subs: Grant, Lindelof, Fellaini, Martial, Rashford, Garner, Chong

I was hoping to see Chong & possible Garner start. I guess I will just have to hope they come on later. I'm still not sure about McTominay so this could be a good indication of how promising his United career might be.

Edited by LeungKen

Strange game this. Utd were given a footballing lesson by a Championship team and ended up 2-0 winners. Seemed like a game with Jose in charge.

Midfield was ceded and then defensive frailties  were exposed yet once again. There was no spark in attack either.

There were a few players who had an opportunity to prove something. Fred  disappointed once again and Pereira did nothing noteworthy. Sanchez and Lukaku did not show anything to be considered for starting roles. Mc

Overall a disappointing performance but a good result. May be OGS has found that Midas touch which deserted Jose.

• Like 1

In all 17 of Mourinho's Premier League matches this season United were outrun by the opposition yet they outran Cardiff in Solskjaer's opening match. Solskjaer told the United players in their pre-match team talk they 'should never ever be outworked, doesn't matter what team you play, you should run more than them'.

I think most of it was down to the lack of passes and runs forwards. I'm still waiting for one of these journalists, pundits or TV stations to do the research and show everyone the difference in passes going forwards between United under Ollie, Mourinho and van Gaal. I think it would make interesting reading. We've made so many passes backwards and sideways these last four and a half years that I'm surprised that they remember HOW to pass the ball forwards lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, balo said:

Chong did not impress me much , only his hair stood out. 

Considering how young he is, I was actually quite impressed. In a debutant that young I am looking more for the raw elements, rather than the finished product. He showed he had a good turn of pace, isn't afraid to take on people in the middle of the park, but crucially knew when to take the safe option too (relevant as we were 2-0) up. He seems to enjoy being a midfielder and always wanted the ball. 

As said, obviously not the finished article by any means, but looks like he has a few exciting ingredients. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Considering how young he is, I was actually quite impressed. In a debutant that young I am looking more for the raw elements, rather than the finished product. He showed he had a good turn of pace, isn't afraid to take on people in the middle of the park, but crucially knew when to take the safe option too (relevant as we were 2-0) up. He seems to enjoy being a midfielder and always wanted the ball. 

As said, obviously not the finished article by any means, but looks like he has a few exciting ingredients. 

You have to give these young guys a chance or you never see if they have the potential to step up otherwise why have the Academy? for other clubs benefit? 

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1

Pochettino admits: 'I don't like VAR'

Initial TV replays appeared to show that Kane was onside as he raced onto Toby Alderweireld's pass.

But alternative camera angles seem to suggest the Tottenham striker was offside before the collision with Chelsea keeper Kepa

Edited by ChipButty

There's a huge irony in this, because no matter what any of us thought about Mourinho, he was the manager, and the antics of Pogba both on and reportedly off the pitch were to the complete detriment of club and fans.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Pochettino admits: 'I don't like VAR'

Initial TV replays appeared to show that Kane was onside as he raced onto Toby Alderweireld's pass.

But alternative camera angles seem to suggest the Tottenham striker was offside before the collision with Chelsea keeper Kepa

Cor blimey chip,i bet your the life and soul of a party ????

5 hours ago, carmine said:

There's a huge irony in this, because no matter what any of us thought about Mourinho, he was the manager, and the antics of Pogba both on and reportedly off the pitch were to the complete detriment of club and fans.

No irony at all. It's clear now that Mourinho couldn't manage difficult players. Solskjaer can.

• Haha 1

I fully expect United to have a very strong second half to the season. I don’t think it’s necessarity the OGS effect, more the not having Mourinho effect. Players are playing at a different level now he and his divisive ways are gone. 

I still think with someone like Poch at the helm and another 3/4 quality players you could be pushing the current top two within 3 years. 

There is also a lot of dross there that needs shifting to make way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, carmine said:

You are right. I still have a bad taste in the mouth from some of his performances under Jose. But as we know football fans have short memories. If he carries on playing well all will be forgotten quite quickly. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

You are right. I still have a bad taste in the mouth from some of his performances under Jose. But as we know football fans have short memories. If he carries on playing well all will be forgotten quite quickly. 

I understand Carm's point but yeah I agree with you. We quickly forgave Tevez when he continued to put in 150% performances

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

I understand Carm's point but yeah I agree with you. We quickly forgave Tevez when he continued to put in 150% performances

Tevez was such a paradox of a player. Trouble causer and questionable attitude off the pitch, but on it you couldn't get a harder working team player. Never went missing. 

39 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

The one player I think United should sign 

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic transfer update amid Manchester United rumours

I wouldn't be signing another midfielder right now, we're not desperate in that position and can wait until the permanent manager is appointed.

What we are desperate for is a central defender (or 2). Melitio of Porto is a strong rumour. Also, talk of Milenkovic from Fiorentina in a swap deal with Periera. 

Just now, ChipButty said:

Major Champions League change comes into play this month as clubs can now register stars who have played for a rival in same competition

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6575269/Major-Champions-League-rule-changes-ahead-2018-19-knockout-stages.html

What happens if your former club wins? Do you get a winners medal?

16 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Major Champions League change comes into play this month as clubs can now register stars who have played for a rival in same competition

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6575269/Major-Champions-League-rule-changes-ahead-2018-19-knockout-stages.html

So Koulibaly would be able to play in the CL... good. 

49 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

What happens if your former club wins? Do you get a winners medal?

If your old club is beaten in the final by your new club, or vice-versa, do you get a loser's medal and a winner's medal?

Edited by champers
  • Like 2