UK PM May looking at second Brexit vote options if talks fail - Telegraph

webfact

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Good grief......The gov of the day put in writing the voters wishes would be implemented....Cameron or not, it is in writing..

Get a grip man....

Again, for the slow to learn, it ain't the frecking government's decision. It's parliament that is sovereign - not the frecking government.

Doesn't matter a fig what the government said, what the PM said, what they wrote in their party manifesto. 

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Everyone can put something in writing. That’s not sufficient to change existing laws. Get a grip man!

Are you are saying that Cameron could be sent to prison for telling the electorate the vote will be adhered too but is a lie...?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

I read this several times. But I don't have the clue what will be the change, as there is a deal with EU fixed and EU is not willing to re-negotiate. 

The point is if UK people are voting to leave with a deal..... Would the Parliament/Tory perform and agree? 

Or this turmoil is an endless story? 

Remember a referendum is only an advice for the Govt 

“Remember a referendum is only an advice for the Govt” That was true for the first referendum. You could hold a legally binding referendum though. Would require parliament to change the laws accordingly. So, in the end, it all comes back to the sovereign parliament. However, I am inclined to believe that even another non-binding referendum, if it is held now when people are informed better and the voting options are better defined and implementable, parliament would just go with it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I am not aware of any law that forbids a PM to make false promises. 

Or false promise...Singular....Voters took that singular promise as fact....

• Like 1

Just now, transam said:

Or false promise...Singular....Voters took that singular promise as fact....

That’s the problem of the (some) voters then. It’s not that the UK’s laws are kept a secret. Every half-informed citizen should know his country’s constitution and laws, especially when it comes to big decisions like this. While I wholeheartedly agree that Cameron deserves blame for making false promises to his people, I do not have much sympathy with people not knowing the laws or overturning laws just because it suits their agenda. Imagine what a dangerous precedent it would create if a PM could just overturn the constitution. You don’t want Corbyn to do that.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

In that case I would suspect that there wouldn't be any laws permitting buses to be untruthfull, (allegedely).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

That’s the problem of the (some) voters then. It’s not that the UK’s laws are kept a secret. Every half-informed citizen should know his country’s constitution and laws, especially when it comes to big decisions like this. While I wholeheartedly agree that Cameron deserves blame for making false promises to his people, I do not have much sympathy with people not knowing the laws or overturning laws just because it suits their agenda. Imagine what a dangerous precedent it would create if a PM could just overturn the constitution. You don’t want Corbyn to do that.  

The ordinary Joe like me knows nothing about UK law and politicians can/could tell porkies.....

Us ordinary Joe's were told the referendum result would be adhered too....Joe wants what we voted for....No question, no arguments, no back tracking.....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

Not lies. Totally correct.

Ok, I reacted to this post " On the referendum leaflet handed out by David Cameron, the British people were promised that if we voted LEAVE, we would be out of the Customs Union & out of the Single Market. "

Please show me where in the leaflet it states this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, transam said:

Good grief......The gov of the day put in writing the voters wishes would be implemented....Cameron or not, it is in writing..

Get a grip man....

I'm just pointing out that expecting a politician, and a conservative one to boot, to actually do what they promised, is stretching the bounds of reality a little too much.

And of course, he resigned the day after the referendum, so it was no longer possible for him to deliver it, even if he wanted too. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Sigh.

Somebody claimed 'on the referendum leaflet it says that the British people were promised that if we voted LEAVE, we would be out of the Customs Union & out of the Single Market.' I said 'no, blatant lie.

Please show me where on the leaflet it said that, and I will admit I was wrong. If not, I was right and it was a blatant lie

She looked longingly towards the horizon and sighed deeply. "Oh my dearest, how I do so wish that someone out there would listen to me." And then another sigh.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Loiner said:

She looked longingly towards the horizon and sighed deeply. "Oh my dearest, how I do so wish that someone out there would listen to me." And then another sigh.

I suspect May wakes every morning and sighs "Why did I let those Brexit boys push me into taking the job of PM.  I should have known when they all ran and hid.  Now my career and credibility have been destroyed forever."  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

if there was the prisons would be filled to overflowing with politicians 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Your colloquial English is coming on leaps and bounds since you started playing with the Britischers isn't it? Keep it up and soon they won't realise that your actually playing for the opposition team. Chuck in a few 'mates' and 'innits' and you'll have 'em thinking you are actually a home grown Remainer.

Next time have a look at what I am replying to before wasting time on a comment like this. 

17 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Now my career and credibility have been destroyed forever."  

That went when she was the worst Home Secretary for ages.

She only became PM by default as the only closet Remainer left on the list. Nothing to do with Brexiteers hiding - they could see the writing on Tory Party walls. She was the only one that would be backed by the majority of Tory Remainer MPs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

The ordinary Joe like me knows nothing about UK law and politicians can/could tell porkies.....

Brexiteers like to complain when people call them uneducated or ill informed. I appreciate that you are honest about it (and I mean that). 

Nevertheless...

1 hour ago, transam said:

Us ordinary Joe's were told the referendum result would be adhered too....Joe wants what we voted for....No question, no arguments, no back tracking.....

...it should be clear even for the “ordinary Joes” that laws only make sense as long as they apply to everyone, regardless of his or her knowledge of such laws. It would defeat the purpose of laws if one could just claim he didn’t know to circumvent it. 

• Like 1

Just now, welovesundaysatspace said:

Next time have a look at what I am replying to before wasting time on a comment like this. 

Yeah - looked at it and it's all ball licks.

image.jpeg.a11fffe07c578398648e5acf1cf3268e.jpeg

Come on Fritzy - give me some more colloquialisms, or even a bit of vulgar slang. You know you really want to show it off. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Loiner said:

She only became PM by default as the only closet Remainer left on the list. Nothing to do with Brexiteers hiding - they could see the writing on Tory Party walls. She was the only one that would be backed by the majority of Tory Remainer MPs.

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

4 hours ago, luckyluke said:

When democracy is not respected, pretty sure :

French people will come on the street. 

We Belgians, I presume, will whine about it. 

Don't know about U.K.,

not really see the people in the U.K. hitting the street,

more like we, whining. 

You forgot the farmers protest or harbor workers  … half Brussels was demolished...? 

Edited by david555
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Na - everyone else chickened out - she was the only one stupid enough to take the poisoned chalice.

So we got a stupid incompetent PM  because no one with any sense wanted the imposable task.

But I agree she was crap as Home Secretary too. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Loiner said:

Feeling better already.

How is it for you?

Never better! Opened a branch office in the Netherlands over Easter which my business will be transferred to completely should Brexit go ahead with no deal.  But I am very confident that isn't going to happen so it's all good!  

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

Never better! Opened a branch office in the Netherlands over Easter which my business will be transferred to completely should Brexit go ahead with no deal.  But I am very confident that isn't going to happen so it's all good!  

Selling spliffs...?   ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Very much to do with brexiteers hiding.

• Confused 1