My son and his friend accousted/held by stranger

bubblehead

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Of course they do, what’s the issue with that?

The issue is, people should be minding their own business. But I will admit if I found anyone breaking a law that I am in agreement with, ie breaking in to someones home, destroying property, Drunk driving, Offenses against children, I would tell the police.

The police in any country would never solve any crime without help from the public.

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I am really referring to the average Thai, that has always been my experience over here. Though I accept it is common for Thais in uniform to try and assert their authority in some way.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am really referring to the average Thai, that has always been my experience over here. Though I accept it is common for Thais in uniform to try and assert their authority in some way.

And it is also not unknown for motocycle and tuk tuk drivers to engage in violence, and for students to attack and kill students from another school. And so on. There is a huge amount of violence bubbling just under the surface, either due to low-life's lack of education or out of frustration of always having to bow down to so-called superiors. Combine that with a lack of self-control and you have a powder keg that can explode over even the smallest thing. And does. I remember reading of a Bangkok taxi driver who murdered an American over 100 baht due to him protesting about being ripped off. Never, ever, make a Thai angry or make them lose face.

I would have taken alot of pictures, gotten his name, asked for his ID, taken an image of the ID, and told him he will be all over social media, and possibly the local news, for making such a fool of himself.

What is it now illegal to ride on the roads in Thailand? Even if your sons had no connection to anything, what business it is, of this fool, to intervene like he did? He deserves a good butt whooping. And he also deserves to be shamed in whatever way is possible. Headman or not, this is entirely inappropriate, and totally unacceptable behavior. 

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And it is also not unknown for motocycle and tuk tuk drivers to engage in violence, and for students to attack and kill students from another school. And so on. There is a huge amount of violence bubbling just under the surface, either due to low-life's lack of education or out of frustration of always having to bow down to so-called superiors. Combine that with a lack of self-control and you have a powder keg that can explode over even the smallest thing. And does. I remember reading of a Bangkok taxi driver who murdered an American over 100 baht due to him protesting about being ripped off. Never, ever, make a Thai angry or make them lose face.

Yes I agree about that, it's just that when I was back in the UK, I had occasions when people were rude to me, and I always ended up retaliating in some way, but it just hasn't happened here in Thailand, I have walked about in Bangkok and Pattaya both during the day and after dark many times, and never had any problem.

I could never do that in say Glasgow, and probably any other UK city. There has been a few stabbings and murders in London alone in the past week.

48 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The issue is, people should be minding their own business. But I will admit if I found anyone breaking a law that I am in agreement with, ie breaking in to someones home, destroying property, Drunk driving, Offenses against children, I would tell the police.

The police in any country would never solve any crime without help from the public.

Try thinking Neighbourhood Watch,Safe House programs where your neighbour looks out for trouble, not seen as minding their own business

4 minutes ago, madmen said:

The joys of village life. I would last about 5 mins in one

We live pretty much isolated just outside a small village, (only neighbour a few 100 metres away are more or less ok they dont bother us or vice versa)

But as a general rule village events are best avoided these "Salt of the earth" type people are best left alone

Not just farangs, wife is Bangkok thai shes just as much a foreigner as me in their eyes

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I would have taken alot of pictures, gotten his name, asked for his ID, taken an image of the ID, and told him he will be all over social media, and possibly the local news, for making such a fool of himself.

What is it now illegal to ride on the roads in Thailand? Even if your sons had no connection to anything, what business it is, of this fool, to intervene like he did? He deserves a good butt whooping. And he also deserves to be shamed in whatever way is possible. Headman or not, this is entirely inappropriate, and totally unacceptable behavior. 

Actually - you don't need to threaten him (making a lifetime potentially active enemy)....I'm betting he could be "turned" by thanking him for being concerned about the boys - while reassuring him that you keep a close watch for their welfare & talk him into taking some pics of him and the boys - or possibly as a group.....

Appeal to his ego/vanity while subtly asserting yourself fronting right up to him....Make & keep complete notes & file away against the future....

Chances are, it all fades away with the possibility of making an ally (at arms length)....

Making threats & creating life long animosity within the village is not wise.....

There might be a time his assistance could be needed.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Olmate said:
4 hours ago, atyclb said:

perhaps you can figure it out?

You made the assumption, not me, what is it you can’t figure

i asked if they may get commission for reporting visa truants

you responded in the affirmative "Of course they do, what’s the issue with that?"

then i asked . "perhaps you can figure it out?"

i was thinking that could motivate some to cause unnecessary/unwarranted duress and aggressiveness in finding farang truants.  like harassing people for no reason other than thinking about commission money.

that is what i was hoping you could figure out

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Did your wife or any neighbors take smartphone photos of this man, his full attire, and if he had a vehicle, photos of the vehicle and number plates etc? 

I believe this is the only example of Thai people not recording everything with a mobile phone in the past 10 years.  That in itself must be some kind of record.  

• Haha 2

Wonder if there's more to the story that's not come to light yet. Were the children doing anything 'naughty' or misbehaving at the time to attract attention to themselves by the man and anger him? Teenagers can be quite boisterous.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I believe this is the only example of Thai people not recording everything with a mobile phone in the past 10 years.  That in itself must be some kind of record.  

I asked if anybody took some photos, I didn't say nobody took any photos.

On 6/21/2019 at 1:43 PM, bubblehead said:

At our house the stranger announces himself as the district head and demanded to see some ID and passports.

aren't we allowed to ask the same from him to confirm he's who he claims to be and not a nutshell... immigration stopped by and ask for my passport... I asked to see their badges, took the time to look in detail and wrote the badges numbers, than show my passport

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

aren't we allowed to ask the same from him to confirm he's who he claims to be and not a nutshell... immigration stopped by and ask for my passport... I asked to see their badges, took the time to look in detail and wrote the badges numbers, than show my passport

Why would they want to see your passport?

Do they not already have your photo and passport details from their TM30, etc.?

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

they wanted to know if the residence form was attached or not and if I had it updated... just bs stuff

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They want to make sure that the pale face & the registered address match up....

Also seems to happen for marriage visas.....

Last year we were in the US & there was a meeting called in the moobaan for farangs to bring their passports.....I obviously didn't go & don't know if it came to anything or not....I've never been approached.....

5 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

they wanted to know if the residence form was attached or not and if I had it updated... just bs stuff

So their computer records are incomplete.

Sounds like what they really wanted is a little yellow star sewn to your clothing.

1 minute ago, pgrahmm said:

They want to make sure that the pale face & the registered address match up....

Also seems to happen for marriage visas.....

Last year we were in the US & there was a meeting called in the moobaan for farangs to bring their passports.....I obviously didn't go & don't know if it came to anything or not....I've never been approached.....

agree, it appears (from some neighbors reports) they were mostly looking for envelopes

Just now, BritManToo said:

So their computer records are incomplete.

Sounds like what they really wanted is a little yellow star sewn to your clothing.

maybe not a yellow star, mostly a yellow/brown envelope... it appears the computer software was not saving the infor

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

you responded in the affirmative "Of course they do, what’s the issue with that?"

i was thinking that could motivate some to cause unnecessary/unwarranted duress and aggressiveness in finding farang truants.  like harassing people for no reason other than thinking about commission money.

Where you always frightened of shadows?

9 hours ago, DavisH said:

Village headmen = local gangster....they are usually the richest and most corrupt in the village. They are in thick with the police. Thy lend money to poor people and whey they cant pay they take their land. Avoid them at all costs. I'm in a large gated village and would not allow my son to ride in the local areas, especially at night time. Too many crazies out there. 

A large gated village? No gates in my village.

Perhaps you mean a large (farang) security compound where kids cant be kids due to parents paranoia? 

Who would want to live like that?

Maybe the crazies are behind the walls.

Each to his own….not for me though

20 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Actually - you don't need to threaten him (making a lifetime potentially active enemy)....I'm betting he could be "turned" by thanking him for being concerned about the boys - while reassuring him that you keep a close watch for their welfare & talk him into taking some pics of him and the boys - or possibly as a group.....

Appeal to his ego/vanity while subtly asserting yourself fronting right up to him....Make & keep complete notes & file away against the future....

Chances are, it all fades away with the possibility of making an ally (at arms length)....

Making threats & creating life long animosity within the village is not wise.....

There might be a time his assistance could be needed.....

While what you are saying is true, I have never had much skill, in the art of sycophantism. 

Edited by spidermike007

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

While what you are saying is true, I have never had much skill, in the art of sycophantism. 

I said fronting him up....There would be no doubt about the fact I'd be taking control & possession of the situation and the boys - in anybody's mind.....

But it would leave him an avenue to leave/withdraw with his "authority/face" intact.....

I don't acquiesce well either; but I can tactfully & tactically manage the situation.....

Screenshot_2019-06-23-12-38-47-09.png

21 hours ago, Olmate said:
23 hours ago, atyclb said:

Where you always frightened of shadows?

fear of shadows is preferable to fear of others posts