Tokyu Department Store in MBK requires passport if buy 2,000 Baht of groceries

mojaco

Paranoia and a police state overbearing behaviour... from this silly TM30 to the need to show your ID/Passport/driver's license everywhere you go and need to buy/pay, and yet, thousands of criminals and illegals are everywhere from scammers, to con men drug dealers and hardcore criminals hiding in plain sight...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You mean you wouldn't even bother to ask why they would like the passport, in the hope that you could clear up any misunderstanding? Seems like you would cut off your nose to spite your face in this instance. You waste time collecting groceries or whatever, then without spending a couple of minutes to discuss you situation you walk off in a hissy fit with no groceries and all that time lost.

That strikes me as a very odd strategy.

I don't always carry my passport with me. I would waste time and money to get it.

I presumed, as for the original post, that they ask you to show your passport so that you can actually buy the groceries. Of course, I would first enquire 'why' they want to see my passport, paying cash.

Sent from my SM-J415F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The way things is going in Thailand it will not be long until they ask for your grand mother maiden name to buy a beer from 7-11. Life used to be great and uncomplicated before in Thailand before, what went wrong?
And fingerprints. Perhaps a work permit...

Sent from my SM-J415F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

show a passport for what, to pay with cash?

In other words 'why', or 'what does it prove' ?

Does the cashier just take a 1 second look at the opening page of the passport, does a supervisor have to say 'OK', or do they take smartphone picture or record the pp number, or?

Edited by scorecard

21 hours ago, userabcd said:

The money laundering training cashiers and anyone dealing with cash receive is infiltrating slowly through the economy but is being implemented to the extreme to control cash and hassle everyone.

Extreme is right, but Tokyu is not as extreme as needing a passport to buy a train ticket in Bangkok. What kind of mind believes that money launderers, who often deal in hundreds of thousand of dollars, if not millions, are going to launder money on a train ticket or the weekly groceries? The lack of common sense in Thailand is total. A three-year-old might come up with the same logic.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

5 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

You mean you wouldn't even bother to ask why they would like the passport, in the hope that you could clear up any misunderstanding?

If you asked you'd just get the famous Thai blank look, as they wouldn't have a clue and would never have asked why such a rule exists so they could pass on that info to the customer.

5 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Surely you cannot claim tax back on groceries

If you're a tourist and spend the qualifying amount, then take the items out of Thailand, why not?

In Singapore they also have a tax refund scheme. I always shop when there at a well known department store with a huge grocery selection. Minimum purchase is SD100 which can be spread over multiple receipts. They have several counters in store to process the paperwork you later present at the airport. So long as you are a tourist taking the goods including groceries out of Singapore you can claim a refund. I stock up on imported products that are far cheaper there than in Thailand e.g. Nescafe Gold decaf, an eye watering 599 baht in Thailand or a more acceptable SD13 (290bt) in Singapore.

Many weird threads lately, this is one of them. Yes, VAT receipt if you purchase over 2000 baht is the only explanation for showing ID.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Well actually I tested your hypothesis today at a Big C. What I found when I asked the checkout girl about a 2000 baht purchase triggering a request for a passport, I was told it would be asked to try and get the customer a member card and therefore future discounts. Not a blank look at all - but a cheery radiant smile from a lovely young woman keen to tell me more because I actually bothered to ask a question about her job.

I then asked if there was any benefit to her signing up people for membership. She advised that there was. If she signed up enough members, she eventually got a small gift card. But most importantly she advised, was that she gained kudos from her boss and that was what she wanted most.

Interesting response in the end - from Big C anyway.

So does it seem that it's a combination of the language barrier that prevents some staff explaining easily why they want to see your passport, plus some ferangs who assume it's for some devious reason and jumping to the wrong conclusion?

When I occasionally go into Villa Market, I notice a lot of the staff make an effort to speak English, which is great.

Last time when I came to pay, the cashier asked me, "Do you have a Villa Market member card?" which I didn't. So I said no, but asked if I could apply for one.

The cashier said "online", so I asked if I applied online, would they mail me the card? That confused her. I thought I'd stick it out in English, rather explain in Thai. They weren't busy, and the cashier called over someone from another counter who spoke good English.

She explained that you apply online, then show the online app on your phone for the cashier to see your membership. I asked, "So you don't actually have a card then?"  "No."

It was a good conversation, as I explained that because I wasn't aware of the details, it would be better for the cashier to omit the word "card", to avoid confusion, and just ask if customers had Villa Market membership instead.

The English speaker realised what I was getting at, and said she'd explain it to the cashiers.

Whether message got though, I don't know, but it was a good chat with the helpful staff.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

So does it seem that it's a combination of the language barrier that prevents some staff explaining easily why they want to see your passport, plus some ferangs who assume it's for some devious reason and jumping to the wrong conclusion?

When I occasionally go into Villa Market, I notice a lot of the staff make an effort to speak English, which is great.

Last time when I came to pay, the cashier asked me, "Do you have a Villa Market member card?" which I didn't. So I said no, but asked if I could apply for one.

The cashier said "online", so I asked if I applied online, would they mail me the card? That confused her. I thought I'd stick it out in English, rather explain in Thai. They weren't busy, and the cashier called over someone from another counter who spoke good English.

She explained that you apply online, then show the online app on your phone for the cashier to see your membership. I asked, "So you don't actually have a card then?"  "No."

It was a good conversation, as I explained that because I wasn't aware of the details, it would be better for the cashier to omit the word "card", to avoid confusion, and just ask if customers had Villa Market membership instead.

The English speaker realised what I was getting at, and said she'd explain it to the cashiers.

Whether message got though, I don't know, but it was a good chat with the helpful staff.

That's seems to changed. I have a member ship card from Villa. But almost never use it, as (same as most other cards) they are connected with the phone number. So only tell the stuff your phone number and your points will going to your account. But yes you also of course can download from most shops an app... but I still think the phone number is the easiest to do :-). 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm starting to gain the opinion that a not insubstantial amount of the complaints in this forum are due to language barrier. It seems some people, in my view, come here and get very frustrated when Thai people don't follow what are birth learnt norms of the foreigner's home country.

I'm also convinced a lot of the banter and semantics picked up in news reports are due to loss of translation somewhere in the journalist's work flow. But people pick up these translation errors and immediately deem it to be a sinister plot where the 'poor farang' or whatever is being cheated/thwarted/criticised/manipulated or otherwise ripped off by the nasty scheming Thais.

Quite a bitter, cynical, untrusting and misinformed subset lurks in these forums.

Glad you enjoyed your banter and if like me you got to learn another perspective, are the better for it. I'd be guessing in the case with your staff member that the term "member card" is understood to translate into membership and a second thought has never been given that the 'card' part of 'member card' refers to an actual card in English. It also wouldn't suprise me if when pushed, the staff member may have thought that the term 'member card' was actually one word and considered as 'membercard' therefore not making the card connection at all.

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2019 at 6:39 PM, from the home of CC said:

show a passport for what, to pay with cash?

It's now frequent for tourists in western countries. Mine doesn't authorise anymore payments in cash for purchases over 1'000 EUR. This restriction doesn't apply to tourists... as long as they can prove it with their passport.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:12 PM, Number 6 said:

Big C has now asked for my passport twice. Under 1000b. I just laugh but this revelation I'm not laughing any more.

I have never been asked to show my PP in Big C except when claiming my club card discount. Could be to check it against my PP that they have in their files already as a club card member.

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

I have never been asked to show my PP in Big C except when claiming my club card discount. Could be to check it against my PP that they have in their files already as a club card member.

This is it. My Thai gets worse annually but I swear both times a discount was mentioned. My BC number is my phone number at checkout. I've not signed up for any other programs and usually purchases under 400b.

I'd thought it was just a ploy to tie the official me to all my stuff for marketing. Which is better for BC and data may be able to even be sold. I'm still in db and linked by name and phone.

She asked for my number not to see the actual passport. I was thinking about just giving a bogus one.

7 hours ago, HampiK said:

That's seems to changed. I have a member ship card from Villa. But almost never use it, as (same as most other cards) they are connected with the phone number. So only tell the stuff your phone number and your points will going to your account. But yes you also of course can download from most shops an app... but I still think the phone number is the easiest to do :-). 

Thanks for that. No one pointed out that gem - assuming I ever get around to applying for membership.

6 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Quite a bitter, cynical, untrusting and misinformed subset lurks in these forums.

That might well stem from the rather draconian and ever-tightening immigration rules, which are hardly designed to endear you to a country. Add the general lawlessness on the roads, taxi drivers who refuse to use the meter in every city in Thailand that has them and similar disregard for the law, and it grinds people down.

Possibly. Some might just be miserable old farts who complain about everyone and everything.

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That might well stem from the rather draconian and ever-tightening immigration rules, which are hardly designed to endear you to a country. Add the general lawlessness on the roads, taxi drivers who refuse to use the meter in every city in Thailand that has them and similar disregard for the law, and it grinds people down.

Possibly. Some might just be miserable old farts who complain about everyone and everything.

That's jogged my memory about a scam reported yesterday, so it sometimes is worthwhile querying the requests - assuming you get a clear answer of course:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1110027-new-e-wallet-scam-empties-bank-accounts-in-minutes-police-warn