Strong baht a big, big headache for Thailand’s tourism

webfact

37 minutes ago, nickstav said:

I know very little about economics, and don't pretend to know what I don't know. What is the basis for the "strength" of the Baht currently?

Strong Demand for Baht, and weak demand for other currencies.  Want to hold some Ringgit or Pounds?

21 minutes ago, nickstav said:

I would agree with most of what you said, but I don't think the average tourist gives a rat's ass about the political situation here, and whereas they don't like getting what they feel as "being ripped off" that's not attributable to corruption within the government itself.

Some care, but doubt that is large percentage. I had a visa to go to Myanmar back in 97, but didn't go because Aung San said don't support corrupt military. Now I won't go because she is in (partial) power.

Rip offs + lack of safety = fewer tourists. "I'm dying to go to Thailand".... wait til you get there

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Why not just stop screwing with the people.  TM30 must stop.  Only those who are legal here will use it.  Those on overstages and criminals are not going to use it.  It is a waste of immigration time and are time.  Also stop cheating the tourist and all foreigners in the country.

I thought this was about tourism ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Why not just stop screwing with the people.  TM30 must stop.  Only those who are legal here will use it.  Those on overstages and criminals are not going to use it.  It is a waste of immigration time and are time.  Also stop cheating the tourist and all foreigners in the country.

That will certainly sort of the inflated Baht, now won't it? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 30la said:

Who cares about the poor who have to fight daily for a handful of rice!

I learn something new every day - the poor (who deal only in baht) have to fight daily for a handful of rice (which is grown in Thailand and not imported - in fact there's a glut of rice for export) because of the strong baht

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, nickstav said:

I know very little about economics, and don't pretend to know what I don't know. What is the basis for the "strength" of the Baht currently?

Corruption money going offshore...something like that.

Edited by Nowisee
  • Confused 1