Dress code at HCMC Consulate ?

I have to visit the consulate for a visa application and just wonder if there is a dress code?  Here in Asia I almost never wear long pants, just nice knee length shorts even at a nice restaurant, and would prefer to travel light.  Any problem? 

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, roamer said:

Government office when you want something= long trousers, for me at least. I don't think long trousers help your case but I'm pretty sure shorts can hinder them.

Plenty of folks, all countries expect that their diplomats, officials etc., be shown some respect. Your on a holiday or a visa run, they aren't. Personally I would wear long pants and have clean shoes, a shirt with a collar but no tie. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, murraynz said:

you sum it up perfectly--'public servants'...why do so many expats think we should worship or grovel to them??

ive even read on these forums--posters saying that we should also 'dress-up' for the bank...

how ridiculous--I  am their customer--THEY  use my money while it is on long term deposit..

i dress up for nobody, always tidy though..i have NEVER  had any problems with immigration...

my bank and other branches ,are always exceptionally helpful..

dressing-up does NOT make a person 'better'...

It's not about worshiping or groveling to an individual.  It's about showing respect for the local culture.  I think being neat and presentable achieve that goal regardless of whether you are wearing shorts or trousers BUT in some cultures that may not be so.  I have never visited Vietnam before, which is why I posted my question.  In Thailand, it seems perfectly respectable to wear nice looking shorts that cover the knee, even in official settings like a Consulate or Immigration office.

Edited by WaveHunter

10 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Why does it seem like so many people forget what is the appropriate way to dress when walking in to an office of authority? Do people really feel the need to ask elementary questions like this? Silly! Why would you consider it would be different in HCMC than in other places.

Just use your common sense instead.

Because for these offices in europe the appropriate dresscode is whatever floats your boat, if you work in construction and go there after work you don't go home first to get dressed, which would even be impossible as they close early.

They serve you, paid by your tax money, and they couldn't care less how you dress, they dress like they want too.

3 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

Strange isn't it!!  I remember some 50 years ago in Melbourne, that employees of the C'wealth Bank wore shorts (smart), short-sleeved shirts with a tie to work in the summer.  Are we going back in Time?

I think it's all simply a matter of local culture.  Dressing as you described is still quite acceptable, and even preferable in many places.  In an extremely hot climate it only makes sense that you will be presentable if you are not hot, sweaty, and disheveled looking. 

• Like 1

I always feel that when visiting somewhere like that it doesn’t hurt to dress up a bit. I’m always amazed at the guys that turn up to do banking business, or go to the hospital in a pair of shorts and a “Chang” beer singlet. Just my opinion you understand.

17 hours ago, OJAS said:

If you wish to err on the side of caution, I suggest that you attire yourself with a smart tuxedo jacket plus dicky-bow tie. The "nice knee length shorts" might look a little out of place, though! ????

Unless (of course) you are properly attired in black knee-hi dress stockings with your wingtips :neus:

Edited by Dap
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Wow, a simple question elicits a such a deluge of sarcastic, holy-than-thou responses.  With the exception of a couple replies, the rest were unhelpful and simply a waste of bandwidth.  

To me, being neat and presentable is what’s important.  Wearing long trousers and a button down shirt on a hot, sweltering day makes me sweat like a pig.  That hardly makes me neat and presentable.

Some Thai consulates take dress code more seriously than others, based on the local culture.  My question was perfectly valid, and not worthy of these childish, troll-like comments.  

That’s OK though.  I realize that some bitter and unhappy expats need an outlet for their inner rage.    And then there are those with an insatiable need to impress us with their mean-spirited (and they believe to be) rapier-like wit.

It’s sad though to think such people are in such an amazing place like Thailand, and yet have nothing better to do with their time than sit at their computer 24/7 writing such mean-spirited and unhelpful nonsense.

This forum would be a much better place without all of this nasty, unproductive behavior.

When people become irrelevant they do and say whatever they can to make themselves feel important.

The feeble attempts at sarcasm, poor humour and worse are nothing more than grumblings of sad, has beens or never weres. If it wasn’t so sad it’d be hilarious ????????‍♂️

• Like 1