Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

webfact

2 minutes ago, olfu said:

just in...Church of Sweden supposedly declared this young chick as being reincarnation of Jesus.

halleluja !!!

the prophecy is true, when evil mankind is at the brink of extinction, the prophecy foretold that gods daughter will step in and sort it out, and THEN we will live in paradise

Edited by brokenbone

41 minutes ago, olfu said:

just in...Church of Sweden supposedly declared this young chick as being reincarnation of Jesus.

IIRC when Big J comes back he/she is supposed to smite all the disbelievers? Fits the bill, eh? Believe in man made climate change or be condemned to eternal damnation.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, olfu said:

Well it's not just in that denialists repeatedly get it wrong. It wasn't the Church of Sweden but a church in Sweden. 

Church in Sweden names Greta Thunberg 'successor' to Jesus Christ

A Swedish church's tweet naming teenage climate change activist Greta Thunberg as the "successor" to Jesus Christ has again received backlash after it was unearthed following the U.N.'s Climate Change Summit.

“Announcement! Jesus of Nazareth has now appointed one of his successors, Greta Thunberg,” the Church of Limhamn wrote on Twitter on Dec. 1, 2018. Limhamn is a municipality in southern Sweden.

This announcement, which was both lauded and criticized on Twitter, was unearthed following Thunberg's speech at the U.N.'s Climate Action Summit in New York City on Sept. 23. 

https://www.christianpost.com/news/church-in-sweden-names-greta-thunberg-successor-to-jesus-christ.html

1 hour ago, RideJocky said:

I did not call you a liar, and I don’t appreciate you claiming I did.

Linking to articles regurgitating the same 97% statistic you regurgitated doe not really substantiate it.

In any event, the articles implied a 97% agreement on the climate changing, but said nothing of the report you claim enjoys 97% agreement rate.

Do you even know where the 97% comes from?

A; Could not agree less.

"I would not argue the accuracy of the report one way or the other, but claiming 97% support the conclusions is at best unsubstantiated and more likely an out and out fabrication."

That is calling me a liar...

B: I said there was a report as in singular? Did I? Let me check...you know I can't find that post. Please let me know the #number, so I can reread it in context.

The links I posted back up what i said.

Edited by Bluespunk

20 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

We are talking about 10s of 1000s of Scientists here.

In the past, scientists have claimed the earth was flat, the sun orbited around the earth, sugar was good for us and tobacco wasn't harmful. I knew a scientist that killed loads of pregnant seals because he believed that they held the key to preventing cot deaths ( he was wrong of course ). 

Perhaps all the 10s of thousands of scientists referenced are all paragons of science and never ever get anything wrong, but I doubt it. 

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, rabas said:

Of course CO2 molecules can radiate IR energy in the same bands as they absorb, they do it all the time. You want to see (Albert) Einstein coefficients A and B and the principle of balance. In fact, a CO2 molecule can radiate without first absorbing IR if it first collides with other molecules that raise its temperature (making it vibrate).  The overall equilibrium effect of CO2 is to trap heat, though CO2 radiation is thought to play a role in cooling the upper atmosphere1. lol.

Now the tinfoil hat, which is aluminium. Aluminium is an excellent reflector of IR (heat). Since the brain consumes 30% of the body's energy (well, for some), it gives off lots of heat, which is trapped by the tinfoil thus warming the brain.

But, experiments on mobile phone microwave radiation have shown that heating the brain results in slightly improve mental performance, IQ, thus, tinfoil hats make you smarter.

Complicated? Global warming is vastly more so, which may be why deniers and believers can both be right at least some of the time.

1) https://www.earth-syst-dynam.net/7/697/2016/esd-2016-8.pdf

Can I ask how many children you have?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The 97% has to be a nonsense, as there are millions of scientists on the planet and they haven't asked all of them. The riposte to that is that it's only 97% of climate scientists, but they never include that in their original statements.

I also doubt they asked every climate scientist on the planet for their opinion, as there must be an awful lot in that and related fields.

It's just more of the "the science is settled" urban myth, as no real scientist would agree that science is ever settled- there is always more to learn.

Agree that the 97% consensus stinks to the high heavens.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's from the same playbook as "the science is settled", and "it has to be true because they say it is".

Yep, it reminds me a bit of the inquisition in the middle ages :whistling:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rabas said:

Now the tinfoil hat, which is aluminium. Aluminium is an excellent reflector of IR (heat). Since the brain consumes 30% of the body's energy (well, for some), it gives off lots of heat, which is trapped by the tinfoil thus warming the brain.

I think for the perpetually offended and true climate believers the percentage brain uses is about 2%, the rest goes into the heart muscle, as it needs to keep the pressure high enough to pop out those temple veins. Should be safe to use a proper tinfoil hat without overheating and it'll prevent splashing when the veins finally give.

It won't save you from the onslaught of the incoming ice age though, aluminium is also a very conductive material and your noggin will freeze, unless you already died from starvation because the plants died due to low CO2 in atmosphere. We're doomed I say, doomed, the end is nigh!

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rabas said:

Of course CO2 molecules can radiate IR energy in the same bands as they absorb, they do it all the time. You want to see (Albert) Einstein coefficients A and B and the principle of balance. In fact, a CO2 molecule can radiate without first absorbing IR if it first collides with other molecules that raise its temperature (making it vibrate).  The overall equilibrium effect of CO2 is to trap heat, though CO2 radiation is thought to play a role in cooling the upper atmosphere1. lol.

But, experiments on mobile phone microwave radiation have shown that heating the brain results in slightly improve mental performance, IQ, thus, tinfoil hats make you smarter.

Complicated? Global warming is vastly more so, which may be why deniers and believers can both be right at least some of the time.

1) https://www.earth-syst-dynam.net/7/697/2016/esd-2016-8.pdf

Well thanks for that information, and I'm happy to admit that my understanding of this is partial. I guess I was focussing in my reading on "The overall equilibrium effect of CO2 is to trap heat". My area of science is acoustics at a moderate level, my son has a Phd in particle physics, I'll discuss this with him soon. 

The 97% has to be a nonsense, as there are millions of scientists on the planet and they haven't asked all of them. The riposte to that is that it's only 97% of climate scientists, but they never include that in their original statements.
I also doubt they asked every climate scientist on the planet for their opinion, as there must be an awful lot in that and related fields.
It's just more of the "the science is settled" urban myth, as no real scientist would agree that science is ever settled- there is always more to learn.

The 97% comes from the percentage of climate change papers published that agree, not the number of climate scientists that agree.

That it is constantly regurgitated as fact is hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rabas said:

Actually, the role the CO2 plays in cooling the stratosphere is one of the strongest arguments in favor of the role it plays in warming the earth. If the greenhouse effect wasn't in play, but just solar activity or some other factor was responsible for the warming of the atmosphere, then you would expect the atmosphere uniformly to get warmer. But if heat was being trapped by increasing quantities of a greenhouse gas then the upper layers of the atmosphere should have gotten cooler.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

The 97% comes from the percentage of climate change papers published that agree, not the number of climate scientists that agree.

That it is constantly regurgitated as fact is hilarious.

Sounds reasonable, i wonder what our alarmist posters have to say about that :whistling:

• Thanks 2