Far more people at risk of rising seas than feared - climate study

webfact

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The rate of sea rise will be exponential not gradual steps of 2mm a year, when it really starts it will have a run away effect, unstoppable, bring it on, my family's land is over 400 meters above sea level, my son will benefit from the increase in the price of land and farmers may start to get a fair price for their produce.

Wet and warm is better for life.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Yeah, that's what they say. I guess its OK to be spooky on Halloween. Let me know when it is actually documented as an observed phenomenon. So far they have wiffed on every prediction of doom

Remember when the scientists were telling us we were going to be in an ice age by now? Not that long ago, either. I remember it well.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Do not build in flood plains or to close to the waters of any lakes rivers or the ocean. My granny told me that in the 60s, and I still think she was a very smart person.

Geezer

I somewhat disagree with lakes. They are very easy to control. If it is a reservoir that's different. In all my time growing up in Minnesota in the land of lakes I never heard of a natural lake flooding catastrophically if it wasn't connected to some sort of a flowage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

We have increased CO2 by 40% and have not seen a correlation with sea level rise

Simply because the main element is not CO2 but water vapor ...

Forgot the link :sorry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas

1170978978_Screenshot(45).png.27a249bfc8812e020aa8afd00e636eda.png

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

New study finds sea level rise accelerating

The rate of global sea level rise has been accelerating in recent decades, rather than increasing steadily, according to a new study based on 25 years of NASA and European satellite data...

If the rate of ocean rise continues to change at this pace, sea level will rise 26 inches (65 centimeters) by 2100 — enough to cause significant problems for coastal cities, according to the new assessment by Nerem and colleagues from NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland; CU Boulder; the University of South Florida in Tampa; and Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia...

"This is almost certainly a conservative estimate," Nerem said.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2680/new-study-finds-sea-level-rise-accelerating/

Lots of people in NZ live next to the sea, probably most. If there was any detectable rise in level the government ( that is all into the man made climate change biz ) would be shouting it from every roof top. Actual rise is about 1mm a year. Not enough to notice in a decade.

Personally. I'll believe it when people start noticing a real rise, which isn't yet.

As for the future, the dinosaurs had a wake up call, and humans are no less vulnerable to all sorts of catastrophes. Another Krakatoa could happen any time.

Given the disregard that humans have for their environment or the creatures that live in it with us, I doubt that any real effort will be made till it's too late anyway. We are terrible custodians of planet earth.