UK Pensions and related info

3 hours ago, fredscats said:

Reading of  OAP campaigner groups in UK now, no less demanding no more % increases to pensions but a flat 40 quid a week increase to state pension next time around across the board  That would be something else,they will probably achieve too as election time looms

40 pounds a weekextra would be great,not long ago i lost the wifes allowance,only got it by 6 wks ,if i had been born later would never have got that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

40 pounds a weekextra would be great,not long ago i lost the wifes allowance,only got it by 6 wks ,if i had been born later would never have got that.

Problem with that,you informed DWP your whereabouts,frozen pension.  By year 6 or 7 of that 10 year period the SP had caught up with the amount of wife allowance,leaving you with original amount of SP at allowance start, to the  finish of it,  that's if you were unfrozen at the start of it

On 3/13/2022 at 12:24 PM, fredscats said:

that 10 year period

The "adult dependency increase", as they called it, was worth nearly £30,000 to me over the 10 years. I haven't worked out what the increases would have been worth, but I think they wouldn't yet have reached that total. I just have to beat the blighters by not living too long....

16 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

The "adult dependency increase", as they called it, was worth nearly £30,000 to me over the 10 years. I haven't worked out what the increases would have been worth, but I think they wouldn't yet have reached that total. I just have to beat the blighters by not living too long....

I do not know why you guys did not switch your address to Spanish or other EU address using proxy to keep allowance and unfrozen pension......could have been worth 60,000 quid

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How many Brit MPs were jailed for 'expenses' fraud a few years back (5)?

List your home as an office, hire your wife/gf as your secretary, etc.

Invade a country for 'weapons of mass destruction' when it doesn't have any and murder thousands of women and children. ZERO prosecutions.

What has the above quote got to do with UK Pensions?

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Invade a country for 'weapons of mass destruction' when it doesn't have any and murder thousands of women and children. ZERO prosecutions.

I paid 40 years of NI contributions for my Brit state pension.

Where I live while I claim it is NONE of their business.

You put that very well. I agree with everything you have said.

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I paid 40 years of NI contributions for my Brit state pension.

Where I live while I claim it is NONE of their business.

30 minutes ago, DezLez said:

What has the above quote got to do with UK Pensions?

Possibly something to do with how the UK government choose to spend our taxes, or even general morals, fairness and not reneging on a contract.

Would have been interesting if the UK government had notified the armed services personnel looking for ‘WMD’ that as they were now in a foreign country where we didn’t have reciprocal arrangements they were going to freeze their salaries.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Two Plus Two said:

I applied for the UK pension last September and have just received the first payments, so about 6 months to process

Just mentioning it for info, not complaining.

I applied in October (online), and was paid on the correct start date in January.

About 10 weeks to process.

Looks like the delay is only for those declaring themselves as living overseas.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2022 at 10:24 AM, DaLa said:

Would have been interesting if the UK government had notified the armed services personnel looking for ‘WMD’ that as they were now in a foreign country where we didn’t have reciprocal arrangements they were going to freeze their salaries.

And that said personnel were told to submit witnessed life certificates every couple of years or so to prove that they hadn't been blown up by the WMD they were looking for and were therefore still entitled to receive their frozen salaries!

Frozen pensions are one thing, but then the UK government insists on adding insult to injury by inflicting the cumbersome bureaucracy of life certificate exercises on us.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

And that said personnel were told to submit witnessed life certificates every couple of years or so to prove that they hadn't been blown up by the WMD they were looking for and were therefore still entitled to receive their frozen salaries!

Frozen pensions are one thing, but then the UK government insists on adding insult to injury by inflicting the cumbersome bureaucracy of life certificate exercises on us.

I usually take my certificate to the local hospital and a doctor signs it. I explain to whichever doctor I see what the certificate is about, and say that I must still be alive. They usually have a little laugh, sign and stamp it. That costs a hundred or so baht,

I could also go to the amphur police station but that costs a case of beer or even the Post Office though I haven't tried them yet.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Created earlier this week by Stephen Edward Wyatt and posted on the petition-parliament website, the ‘Increase the State Pension to £19,760 a year (£380 a week)’ petition has already gathered more than 5,300 signatures of support.

Signed ????

How can anybody in Thailand sign this?  There must be something oppositely untoward

7 hours ago, fredscats said:

How can anybody in Thailand sign this?  There must be something oppositely untoward

Only British citizens or UK residents have the right to sign
I am a British citizen or UK resident

Not difficult.......does n,t matter where you live so long as your a British Citizen.

On 2/12/2022 at 5:53 PM, ivor bigun said:

mind you you say they are not interested or would not know ,how do you know?

Does the fact that about 40% of OAPs have different addresses since they first became OAPs not mean something? They just never bothered to inform the DWP when they changed addresses.

Edited by possum1931

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I think making one up could be a mistake ,as if they sent your yearly form saying what rise you get ,it would be returned ,but if you had a genuine address ,family or friend etc ,cant see how they could find out,unless someone told on you.

I wonder if there are any prosecutions ,cant see any on google

There is no yearly form.

A far as I know they never write to you in the UK,for any reason, after the letter with your 'invite' code.

• Confused 1

On 2/13/2022 at 11:02 AM, bert bloggs said:

My wife lived in the UK  for quite a few yrs and has an ni number although she didnt work long ,does she get a widows pension or anything when i die as we now live in Thailand?

Very much doubt it

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There is no yearly form.

A far as I know they never write to you in the UK,for any reason, after the letter with your 'invite' code.

I am sorry to say you are wrong about not being contacted by the pensions department in the UK.

Although resident here I maintain a UK address and evey year in March I receice my annual increase letter at my UK address.   See copy below!

788312886_pensionletter.jpg.70fb91beee1c0d696a4bd5e7f1b1e771.jpg

Edited by DezLez
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DezLez said:

I am sorry to say you are wrong about not being contacted by the pensions department in the UK.

Although resident here I maintain a UK address and evey year in March I receice my annual increase letter at my UK address.   See copy below!

Very proud indeed!!!

• Confused 2

On 5/8/2022 at 8:32 PM, ivor bigun said:

I think making one up could be a mistake ,as if they sent your yearly form saying what rise you get ,it would be returned ,but if you had a genuine address ,family or friend etc ,cant see how they could find out,unless someone told on you.

On 5/9/2022 at 12:44 PM, BritManToo said:

There is no yearly form.

The only forms those of us living in LOS receive from DWP these days (not as often as yearly, though, fortunately) relate to the dreaded Life Certificate.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DezLez said:

Although resident here I maintain a UK address and evey year in March I receice my annual increase letter at my UK address. 

I should maybe clarify that by saying "I maintain a UK address" I mean that I have a postal address in the UK but do not own or rent any property in the UK.  I get my mail via a Mail Forwarding Company that uses a real address, not a PO Box or Ltd Company address!  When any mail is received at that address from the banks, Governemnt etc they are scanned and e-mailed to me.

Edited by DezLez

9 minutes ago, DezLez said:

I should maybe clarify that by saying "I maintain a UK address" I mean that I have a postal address in the UK but do not own or rent any property in the UK.  I get my mail via a Mail Forwarding Company that uses a real address, not a PO Box or Ltd Company address!  When any mail is received at that address from the banks, Governemnt etc they are scanned and e-mailed to me.

should you, in that case be receiving increases

10 hours ago, DezLez said:

Good for you if you need such a massive rise. 

Hope baht - £ goes up for you too. 

• Confused 1